Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2018, 12:30 PM   #1

Locking thumb turn cam video?

I just got the thumb locks for our A frame, same ones that many, many of you have installed.

I'm a very visual learner. Does anyone know of an internet video that shows how to install these specific locks? I just don't want to screw it up.
Jodilc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 01:40 PM   #2
The Mountains are calling

Try this Youtube link. https://youtu.be/zZgbSR3rT40
Veroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 08:28 PM   #3

Those would be awesome because I am always afraid the key is going to break. But how do you keep these from jiggling loose while traveling, along with the obvious, your stuff isn't locked up?
tlspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 06:15 AM   #4
OYO

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlspencer View Post
Those would be awesome because I am always afraid the key is going to break. But how do you keep these from jiggling loose while traveling, along with the obvious, your stuff isn't locked up?
I lock them when we are driving.
OYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 06:40 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by OYO View Post
I lock them when we are driving.
The one in the video does not have a lock, so I am assuming you can get these with locks, so you're not using the key to turn the entire latch, just a lock ON the thumb turn?

EDIT: Ok I guess my ignorance is showing a bit. I guess they don't make these thumb turn latches with an actual key but I am finding ones that use the barrel key which at least is more sturdy than the standard key.
tlspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 06:47 AM   #6
OYO

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlspencer View Post
The one in the video does not have a lock, so I am assuming you can get these with locks, so you're not using the key to turn the entire latch, just a lock ON the thumb turn?
Yes. There is a very long thread on them here somewhere.
OYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 09:13 AM   #7

Another idea: I switched to Combi-cam locks. Set your own 3-digit code. Lock when traveling and leave unlocked in camp.
mtmurphy56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 04:33 PM   #8

I found these "Thumb Operated Offset Cam Lock" on Amazon but there are two different sizes. Does anyone know if we have the 7/8" or the 5/8"?

https://www.amazon.ca/Camco-44323-Th...rv%2Block&th=1
tyoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 04:51 PM   #9

Combi Turn Locks

I just installed them on my camper. I ordered several barrel key type but they didn't fit. The 7/8 barrel key would have worked if they came with 1/16" offset latch. I wanted it snug enough to keep the rain out when traveling. I had no issues with the combination lock installation. I liked the setting of combination to any 3 numbers. For those who might be interested my combination is &$#.
Retiredtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 06:30 PM   #10

These are the ones I used. They come with both a flat and an offset cam in each package.

4.1 out of 5 stars 447 Reviews
Combi-Cam 7850R-M Chrome Medium 7/8" Combi-Cam Combinated Cam Lock
mtmurphy56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 11:51 AM   #11

They are 7/8. There is a long thread about the LOCKING thumb locks on here, just search for it. Just installed mine, install was a pain in the butt because you have to assemble the locks, but otherwise a great upgrade. Make sure you get keyed the same locks so you are not messing with 4 different keys. As far the part you need, here it is.
https://www.wholesale4inc.com/search...+K026&x=13&y=9
swe13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lock