Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2016, 06:42 PM   #1

locking water tank cap

Does anyone make a replacement locking cap for the water tank?
Call me paronoid, but it would be relativly easy for someone to contaminate the water in the tank. Id like to be able to prevent someone up to no good from putting something in my water tank. Chances are we would use the water mostly for cleaning or cooking and rarely for drinking...but still would like to make sure its only water in the tank and not anything someone may have added to it.
il Padrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 10:17 PM   #2

I've sure been looking forward to a response to this topic. All my truck campers had locked access doors to the freshwater tank and I liked that little bit of security. I'd sure like to figure out a way to protect access to the water supply in my AFrame.
ptchap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 09:45 AM   #3

I don't have an A frame so I don't know what the water fill looks like but I've gone the opposite direction and replaced the 751 keyed lock with a 1/4 turn thumb "lock". It's a pain in the rump to always carry my keys with me and if I want to use the outside shower I can't close the door to the water fill anyway.
Old 05-11-2016, 09:52 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino View Post
Does anyone make a replacement locking cap for the water tank?
Call me paronoid, but it would be relativly easy for someone to contaminate the water in the tank. Id like to be able to prevent someone up to no good from putting something in my water tank. Chances are we would use the water mostly for cleaning or cooking and rarely for drinking...but still would like to make sure its only water in the tank and not anything someone may have added to it.
Holy Crap, it I were that paranoid I'd seek professional help. No I'm not kidding.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 10:09 AM   #5

Locking water cap

Maybe the reason you haven't seen many responses to this concern is that most of us don't worry about it. I've been camping for over 60 years and have never encountered something like this.

Kdot
kdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 10:35 AM   #6

Having a lock on the fresh water cap has never concern me. We stay at places that have water and elec. hook ups, gets way to hot here in Texas not to have the A/C running. Camper parked in back yard so no one can do anything to it anyway.

Hope you find what you are looking for
JPBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 11:14 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
Holy Crap, it I were that paranoid I'd seek professional help. No I'm not kidding.
I sure don't see why someones concern for keeping their water supply uncontaminated is considered to be "paranoid",.......I'm sure there are places in this country where people have never found the need to lock their homes or their autos, well for at least the last 60 years anyway, ......but I'll bet you are so "paranoid" about those two areas of safety that you do!!.........maybe that "professional help" is in order...........

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 11:30 AM   #8

I'm sure there's a way you can fabricate a locking cap. But if you're that worried about it, maybe you shouldn't go camping. That stress might be harder on your health that the possibility of tampered water.
Jodilc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 11:55 AM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

We live in different times. Paranoia of yesterday is the cautious of today, whether it's from something malicious or a prank from a good friend. It's not up to us to decide the OP's reasoning. Instead let's help him out.

I believe you can buy the locking door and recess area from an RV parts supply. If I find a link, I'll post.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 11:57 AM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Try this
JR PRODUCTS A6112-A - Jr Products Hatch,water Locking P-wht A6112-A - RV Plus
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 06:46 PM   #11

Hey...not to worry...sometimes weird nieghbours do some very stupid things....because they dont like you...or the trailer in your driveway....i remember neighbour in a condo where i used to live...this fool phoned me in all the time because my PUP was in my own parking space...and the truck was in visitors....problem was fixed with a little shot of expoxy glue in all his doorlocks.. never had an issue again
Old 05-11-2016, 07:19 PM   #12

Anything would require a mod and this looks like it would be a clean installation.

--------

It had never occurred to me to lock the water cap, but we each have our own concerns and level of comfort. But my friends tell me I am too nonchalant about things. So go for it if you feel it is needed.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 08:03 PM   #13
Professional Texan

I actually had someone pour about a quart of oil based paint into my fresh water tank. This happened at a storage facility. I don't know who, when or why. I don't typically use my fresh water tank. The underside of the trailer was open so I noticed it through the translucent water tank while I was inspecting "stuff" under my trailer. Fortunately I had water in the tank so the paint coagulated in the water. I dropped the tank and managed to get it all out through the fill neck. I move to another storage site with better security and used the trailer for a few years more. My new trailer has all hook-ups behind a locked door. Just to say, it can happen. I really don't think about it much.

TexasBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 08:30 AM   #14

Locking fresh water inlet

I am one of those that feels a locking cover on the fresh water fill on a camper is a good thing. We are rather surprised that our new A frame does not have one. Not surprising is of course that the manufacturer saves money on this. I had just watched several you tube videos on how to sanitize your fresh water tank, and not one of the campers in any of the demos, did not have a locking cap on the fresh water tank fill. I too am looking for an easy way to put that on our new A frame. I have heard too many stories of people having stuff put in the gas tank of their cars, prior to locking lids. What is wrong with a ounce of prevention. Color me crazy too if you like.

Tags
tank, water, water tank