Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2014, 10:20 AM   #21

Good choice in the A122s. That’s what I have. You will love the full time bed with heated mattress. Just make sure you don’t put a lot of weight in the from trunk, that will add weight to your hitch, try to put as much cargo weight under the bed as you put in the front trunk. I keep my aframe loaded and ready to go except for food and cloths. If that is what you plan on doing, spend the ‘waiting’ weeks gathering up the things you’ll need to put in it. I’m like a lot of people, waiting for spring. I brought my a122s home in Oct. last year and have only gotten to use it for a couple of one night outings. I have 2 big trips planed for this year, one this spring and one in the fall. Just need to decide where I’m going. Happy camping.
2014 Tacoma 4x4
OutAndAbout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 10:30 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutAndAbout View Post
Good choice in the A122s. That’s what I have. You will love the full time bed with heated mattress. Just make sure you don’t put a lot of weight in the from trunk, that will add weight to your hitch, try to put as much cargo weight under the bed as you put in the front trunk. I keep my aframe loaded and ready to go except for food and cloths. If that is what you plan on doing, spend the ‘waiting’ weeks gathering up the things you’ll need to put in it. I’m like a lot of people, waiting for spring. I brought my a122s home in Oct. last year and have only gotten to use it for a couple of one night outings. I have 2 big trips planed for this year, one this spring and one in the fall. Just need to decide where I’m going. Happy camping.
That's the goal. most everything will be loaded up under the bed or right near the bed on the floor over the axle (i assume the floor near the bed is usable space when folded up?). figure attach a few tie down points in that area and I'll be able to strap a storage tote or something so it's secure During travel. then the only thing I'll hopefully put in the car is a suitcase of clothes in the backseat.
loki008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 10:47 AM   #23

All the floor space from the counter tops to the floor is usable for storage. One thing, you don’t wont to take any of the “dry weight hitch weight” off of the hitch. In other words, if it has 350 pounds of hitch weight with NOTING in it (as it came from the factory) you should try to maintain that 350 pounds or even a little more. There is a ratio between hitch weight and total LOADED camper weight that you should try to maintain. I’m not sure what that is but someone here should know. Otherwise you might end up with your aframe wagging back and forth going down the highway.
2014 Tacoma 4x4
Old 02-04-2014, 11:00 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutAndAbout View Post
All the floor space from the counter tops to the floor is usable for storage. One thing, you don’t wont to take any of the “dry weight hitch weight” off of the hitch. In other words, if it has 350 pounds of hitch weight with NOTING in it (as it came from the factory) you should try to maintain that 350 pounds or even a little more. There is a ratio between hitch weight and total LOADED camper weight that you should try to maintain. I’m not sure what that is but someone here should know. Otherwise you might end up with your aframe wagging back and forth going down the highway.
Thanks. I am not too worried about the "dry weight" issue you are talking about. From my understanding the propane tank and battery adds a significant tongue weight to the trailer and there isnt really enough space rear of the axle to really counterbalance significantly. My goal is just to keep as much weight on the axle as possible. Even so I don't see there being a ton of weight. The trailer already has most of what we would normally carry that is heavy such as the tent / air mattress ect.
loki008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 05:41 PM   #25

The golden rule it that between 10% and 15% of the total weight of the trailer should be on the tongue. You have several options to get your weight.

Some highway weigh stations used to leave the scale display on when closed. I don't know if they do any more.

Most rock and stone yards will let you use their scale when they are not busy.

Truck stop commercial scales will charge you, but may give you multiple weights for one fee if they are not busy.

A 400# electronic bathroom scale can give you the tongue weight.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 07:25 PM   #26
mgtann

New a frame
Hope this will help you. when we started our search for an a frame. we got prices from rv direct which we're very competitive. we listed all of the optional items even the screen room.
They discounted the trailer and the options we printed the sheet with all info and emailed to our dealer close to home to see if he could match or do better than rv direct. Shazam he came in with a better price and he was local. So shop around it pays to get comp prices to compare.
Good luck on your search
mgtann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:30 AM   #27
Retread Popup Owner

Congrats on the new camper.

Camping Photos
Camper Mods
Wojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 12:58 PM   #28
Mostly Harmless

Nice deal: under 10K with screen room for a brand new model. Enjoy!
2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 03:43 PM   #29

Pooneil, thanks for posting the % for the hitch weight. I thought I had it somewhere but can't find it.
2014 Tacoma 4x4
Old 02-06-2014, 07:14 AM   #30

Your welcome.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 11:21 AM   #31
mgtann

We are selling our a122s 2014 for $9500 this includes screen room, ball leveler and a park it 360 trailer dolly. Just had all the bubble windows and vent resealed. The dolly alone was $1300. Good deal for someone looking for a clean used trailer.
mgtann is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camper, frame, a-frame