Old 01-24-2014, 12:14 PM   #1

Looking for an A frame camper

I have been doing some research into campers and I am of the mindset that I think an A frame fits my needs the best in terms of features vs comfort.

Just for some background information. I go camping 2-3 times a summer. Currently we go car camping. One of the trips is generally a Saturday to following Sunday trip in New Hampshire near Mt Washington.

I would like something that is comfortable for 2 people sleeping most of the time and but can fit up to 4 without being too crowded. In addition I like the fact that the hard walls offer a bit more protection from the weather and privacy than a canvas popup, also it seems that the fiberglass likely is more durable and would last longer than the canvas of a popup.

As for camping, it would be mostly dry. I may pick up a small honda inverter generator but for the most part I would be running off of propane and likely not using the A/C functionality. The heater being able to be run off of propane is a nice feature as it can get chilly at night even in the summer where we go. But i suspect that the camper will retain heat better than our current tent setup.

Towing wise I will be using a 2006 SAAB 9-5 station wagon. It has a type II receiver. I understand that I will have to pay attention to the loading due to the tongue weight but do not see any issues.

With all this in mind I have decided that the Rockwood A122 is the best fit. But I am interested to see if there are any other recommendations. I know that Flagstaff has a clone of this model, but in my area (Connecticut) there seems to be more Rockwood dealers that carry the A frame models.

I am not sure if this is a bit of a No - No on these forums, and if it is i apologize and i will remove it. But i am curious as to what is considered a good price on these. From what I have seen the MSRP seems to be made up on the fly from the dealers and the numbers seem to be just about everywhere. The local RV place has an A122S listed at an MSRP of close to $15k and a "show price" of $12k. They are saying since they are in the RV warranty Forever program and they offer lifetime warranties on their units that its already a great value and they wont move off of $12k. Where as with some research I have found a few units in the $9900 price range. Is this a good price, or is there even more room for negotiation to be found on these units? I likely wont be buying for another month or 2 and realistically dont need delivery until the end of July so I am willing to work my timing to line up with when a dealer is making an order. Any advice that could be given would be appreciated. I have some experience with car buying however this type of purchase seems to be light on hard pricing data to become educated with.

Any thoughts, comments or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-24-2014, 12:57 PM   #2

I probably can't be as much help as many here since I've only had my camper for two days and haven't been camping in it yet but I'll try to help.

First, the Rockwood and Flagstaff campers are the exact same camper other than the name and maybe the design of the fabric may be different...Forest River makes both of them....sort of like GMC trucks and Chevrolet trucks are identical other than the the name.

If I'm not mistaken the A122 is the one without the front sliding storage...to me and this is strictly a personal opinion the $15,000 is way too much. The show price of $12,000 is much better but I still got a better price than that but mine was a 2013 model. I bought the A128S which is the Rockwood and has the front sliding storage for much less than that.

Again to me it's the perfect size for two people....unless they were small kids the camper would be awfully small for 4 people...unless you don't mind sleeping really really close.

Good luck with your choice.

Total Nights Camping 2015-(9)
Total Nights Camping 2016-(5)
Total Nights Camping 2017-(4)
mlsa3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 02:22 PM   #3

Here is where we bought our, I know it is too far away but will give you an Idea what a fair price is, I think other have beat these prices but not by a lot. New Campers In Stock | Roberts Sales - Denver, Colorado A frams are at the bottom of the page.

They have one price, do not deal but they do not have any add on, no dealer prep. Just Tax.

For what you describe the A frame is a good match

And welcome to the board.
1A Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 04:07 PM   #4

Just a point while the heater runs of propane it still needs electricity for the blower fan. I've found that the battery will lose charge after about 10 hours of running the lights and blower even with LED replacement. However if the day is sunny my solar panel will recharge the battery enough for the battery to last three full nights. I've the T12BH which the wife and I love it roomy enough for the two of us and two med-large dogs. The extra storage under the perm. bed is nice We have replaced the dinning table as it was to large and unstable for us. I love the front bike deck which I've mod'ed to take a storage box. Now everthing we need for camping is there just hook up and take off.
RenFaire Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 04:08 PM   #5

We have a 2012 Flagstaff. Don't know about towing with your rig since we use a Ford F150 EcoBoost. Traveled to Alaska last summer, just short of 10,000 miles without a single issue. About 1000 miles was on gravel roads. Just the two of us and we were comfortable, but we are old backpackers. Four adults will be cozy if you spend a lot of time in the rig. When I was dealing on our outfit, the dealer said this was the first one he had sold and really couldn't provide much for feedback from other customers. I used that to our advantage and got a new rig for under $10K. Storage is limited and I sometimes wondered about getting one with the front storage unit------then I remember we get into areas where length can be a problem. We get off the beaten path.
Old 01-24-2014, 04:26 PM   #6

Thanks for the feedback. In terms of space it likely would be just 2 people 99% of the time, but we go camping as a group and just would like the ability where if there is thunderstorms or something during setup we could fit another couple if we needed to for the night.

For power that's good to hear the heater will run the night, I'd likely recharge during the day. Does anyone know what the recharge time is on one of those inverter Honda generators? I'm sure it depends on the charger and other factors but a rough ball park would be nice.

Additionally I've been looking at the screenroom option. looks like it runs around $600 which seems quite pricey for what it is. I'd love to hear from someone who has one if they enjoy it and if they would buy it again if they had to replace their trailer today. I've also heard that they are a bit cumbersome to setup and take down. If that is the case it almost sounds like some poles and a large tarp would be almost as easy to setup and about $500 cheaper.
Old 01-24-2014, 04:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf465 View Post
We have a 2012 Flagstaff. Don't know about towing with your rig since we use a Ford F150 EcoBoost. Traveled to Alaska last summer, just short of 10,000 miles without a single issue. About 1000 miles was on gravel roads.
Thanks. I'd expect there wouldn't be too much issues here. The car is rated for 3500lbs and has about 280hp with around 290 ft/lb for torque. I tow a 16" boat currently and it does quite well with that. The tongue weight is limited by the class II hitch but with proper loading that should be quite manageable
Old 01-24-2014, 04:39 PM   #8

We have a 12 x 14 Magellan screen house and a 10 x 10 EZ up. Both were around $80. They serve our purpose but sometimes we appear as minimalists to others.
Old 01-24-2014, 05:33 PM   #9

There is one in the classified section
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...per-53084.html
Old 01-24-2014, 05:37 PM   #10

Thanks for the heads up. Wisconsin is a bit of a haul for me and I'm not sure how all the warranties transfers

Tags
camper, frame, a-frame