Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2013, 09:31 PM   #1

Looking for screenroom

When we bought our A-frame last year, we heard nothing but bad things about the screenroom that is made for the camper. It seems now, though, that folks are more pleased with them. Soooo...we're thinking about getting one.

Does anyone here have an A-frame screenroom that they're willing to part with at a reasonable price? We have the 2012 Rockwood A127TH model.
2012 Ford Raptor
Camping born-on date: 21 July 2012
Nights camped: 2014-3 (so far!!); 2013-16; 2012-2 nights
FarFromStock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 09:35 PM   #2

Oops...I meant we have the 2013 model.
2012 Ford Raptor
Old 05-06-2013, 03:41 PM   #3

HI Debbie,

I have contemplated selling the screen room, but then I have never tried it, so I may not know what I am missing. LOL I saw someone was selling their last year, on the FR classified ads - maybe search it and see if still available?

I can get my EZ Up (mat down, staked and popped up) set up in less than 3 minutes - so I am not eager to slow down my set up time. haha - and still no one has reported how well the screen room holds up in rainstorms (not drizzle or sprinkles) or wind. I suppose I will have to set it up and see for myself. Our weather is unpredictable and what could start off as a sunny weekend could be hailstorms and wind and then dry and sunny within an hour....LOL - We have learned to be prepared for any type of weather. This is one more reason I wanted the gear deck model - so I could get stuff off the ground.

The weekend I christened my trailer on her first time out - we had unpredicted flash flooding. On the last day of the show, it rained so hard and so so heavy/fast that we had to keep pushing water off the EZ Up where it began collecting. I placed tarps over the dog crates because the canopy began to drip inside. I finally put the dogs in the back of the covered truckbed. The trailer stayed dry inside. As soon as the first sign of the rain pausing, I closed the A-Frame up, threw the canopy and all things wet on the gear deck and left just as it began pouring again. 90 minutes later, I was pulling into my driveway where it was dry as a bone - no sign of the torrential rain 90 minutes east. DH had a hard time believeing me until I unpacked the EZ UP, my folding chairs and all the towels/tarps that were drenched, out to dry. LOL

That wicked storm is what made me wonder (again) how well the screen room would have held up in such a sudden downfall of rain. And how to pack it up (fast). Would the wet screen room have dripped inside the trailer or is the trailer interior safe from that happening? Does the screen room unzip easily, off the trailer in the case of needing it removed quickly? Experienced thoughts?

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:57 PM   #4

Thanks Tamara!! I did a quick search for screenrooms in the classified section, but I came up empty...I'll check again though!!

You pose some very VERY good questions. Glenn used the EZ-up canopy this past weekend in Talladega, but woke up Saturday morning to mangled aluminum and tarp. The rain was just too much for the canopy...which is why we were thinking of the screenroom that's made for the A-frame. Hmmmm....
2012 Ford Raptor
Old 05-06-2013, 04:16 PM   #5

Deb, I have the commercial grade EZ Up with the commerical zip up sides. Years of dog shows has taught me that the trick to surviving wind is to definitely stake and then drop the height down during a storm - reduces the chances of it getting mangled.

I also invested in the commercial zip up sides - these sides ROCK - they essentially enclose the canopy in it's own room - blocking the wind, holding in heat & allow fantastic breathability! The wind just billows at the top and the sides give to the wind without ripping or tearing. These sides are light weight material and are extremely worthy in the wind (feels like parachute material or windbreaker material). I bought mine on E-Bay - if you are doing any amount of camping with possible wind, these EZ Up sides are the best!

If you try to keep an EZ UP up during a wind storm, it is likely to take flight if the sides arent zipped on or the roof hasnt been lowered. Ive seen a few go flying at the shows....mine stay put - even put to the test a few weeks ago with 2 days of 35-50 mph wind gusts.

That weekend, the wind was blowing so hard, I wasnt even going to attempt to take down the canopy - it wouldnt gotten away from me. I left it in place, put my aquatainer inside in the middle of the floor and pulled a bungee from the full aquatainer to the center of canopy frame. My friend had the same canopy and first time for her to use the recommended sides, she was parked next to me & didnt do anything other than to drop the heighth & her canopy held just fine.

The EZ Up allows more interior space and we'd still be able to use the trailer's grill without worry of fire hazard or being smoked out (because I would not use the grill with the screen room attached).

1967 Newell Motorcoach
Old 05-06-2013, 05:32 PM   #6

The screen room option on the A-Frame was a great addition to my package deal. I used it on all my trips and it is so easy for me to setup by myself, even in the dark. I have experienced strong wind and heavy rain, no problem. Since it is snag on the frame and the screen is snag to the ground, I leave my door open. On cold nights, the heat from inside goes here. It only takes me less than 10 mins to take it down. I also have a way to set up without using pegs. Check out my post #296:
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...-27602-30.html

Because of this room, I don't bother breaking the beds to a table.

Good Luck, I hope you get to experience the extra space it gives...luv my screen room
ko777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:01 PM   #7

Thanks Ko777 - I do think I might try it this summer....I just wanted to hear more input on them. Like Debbie, I am not opposed to reconsider my stance on willingness to use it....

Since the A-Frame is becoming more popular amongst single people and couples, it is more likely to be used and the screen rooms will really be put to the test. LOL - some habits/routines are hard to break - but I'd be willing to incorporate the room if I knew it would make things easier for me. I typically use the trailer by myself - so ease & simplicity is all I require...err....that and a small step stool. haha

1967 Newell Motorcoach
Old 05-07-2013, 10:09 PM   #8

for Farfromstock - canopy logo

HI Debbie & Glenn

Here is a photo of the brand of canopy I have. The email I sent bounced back, so thought I'd post here. This is the brand to research. There's alot of knock off companies who advertise easy up but they are not EZ Up brand. I use the commercial grade white and the side walls are poly nylon zippered at each corner & velcroed at each leg.

TWELVE years later it is still bright white and stands solid. I have broken the storage bag zip pull but stuck a paperclip in it instead. haha The sides are about 10. yrs old and only just recently did I lose a top fastener when I pulled it too hard. I need to sew it back on. I guess its time to recheck stitching. haha - Its taken alot of abuse from being thrown down in its storage bag more times than I can count to weather abused when used. I wouldnt hesitate to buy another. I still have the econo blue EZ Up but there is NO comparison. If someone only needs an a canopy for casual use, then the economy blue one would suit their needs. I am hard on my equipment - it has to work hard and put up with minor "abuse"

The one photo show the front canopy dropped down - we do this to reduce the wind catching under them. The sides keep the wind from picking them up. You will notice the back canopy is not dropped because the sides are on. When I go to sleep, I do drop the sides because I dont know how hard the wind might blow when I am konked out. I included photos showing the private room the sidewalls create & I can see the dogs from inside the trailer by leaving the zipper door open and pulled back. I also show where I carry it...after reading about Lee &Courtney's refrigerator openong up on the "nameless" highway - I decided to pack the canopy in front of the door to ensure it stays closed.

There IS one more brand that warrants looking into - almost bought it last year but even I couldnt jistify the cost when my EZ Up continues to serve me well. My family and friends tell me I only want it because not many others have it. haha Probably true. Anyway the brand is by "Turbo tent" and it is the "Screen Machine" - I love the ease of it & also seems like it does well in weather and wind. And like EZ Up, it's also super easy to put up and take down. Check out their videos on it. Be forewarned, its more expensvie than the commercial EZ Up...but I still think I'll buy one later this yyyear...sigh...haha...one for the dogs and one for the people.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-05-07 19.22.26.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	29845   Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-05-07 19.22.53.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	29846   Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-04-19 13.11.49.jpg
Views:	129