Old 06-15-2019, 09:18 AM   #1

Loose upper hinge of refrigerator door

I have a feeling this is going to cause me considerable grief:

The metal hinge (or hinge support?) at top left of the fridge is loose behind the front panel. I can move the fridge door back and forth slightly and the metal part moves with it. This means the door is slightly skewed when closed, such that the door binds slightly at the bottom right unless I lift it while closing. It's nothing serious - yet - and the door still forms a complete seal. But this will need to be addressed eventually.

I am wondering if there will be any way to access the back of that metal hinge part, to tighten it or whatever the case may be, without removing either the fridge itself or the stovetop above it. Has anyone experienced this issue?

(We're talking a Dometic RM-4223 pop-up fridge here.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190615_091455281.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	270.9 KB
ID:	207390  

Nights camped in 2016: 37; 2017: 52; 2018: 47; 2019: 57
JArry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 01:13 PM   #2

I am not 100% sure of what I think I am seeing but does that top piece, that you are calling the hinge support, move to the left? It almost looks in this picture that there is a white-ish plastic nub of sorts that is maybe meant to hold the hinge support to the side? Otherwise, I think you're probably going to have to pull out the fridge to get to the back of it if it's just a loose screw.

2018 T21TBHW A-Frame
2012 Nissan Pathfinder
tlspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 10:20 PM   #3

Yeah, I am referring to the metal piece, probably more accurately just called the hinge itself. I don't think the white you see is anything significant. Thanks, though!

One workaround, though I am not thrilled about it, is to change the door from left side hinge to right side hinge. Then the fridge door thumb latch may be a little loose, so I'd have to check the implications of that, or I could come up with some other kind of lock/latch.

This is me not wanting to pull out the fridge.

Nights camped in 2016: 37; 2017: 52; 2018: 47; 2019: 57
JArry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, refrigerator