Old 07-02-2013, 06:52 PM   #41
Rockwood Premier A126

After more consideration, I decided the straight curtain rod would not center over the doorway very well and stuff like that drives me crazy. Because of the roof angle and door header padding, there is not enough space on the interior left wall beside the door for the bracket to fit like I want it to.

So I had to rethink this a bit more.
Today I returned the other cafe rod and picked up a different style cafe rod similar to this design:

This one sticks out 2.5" from the wall bracket, but that actually shouldn't be a problem. I will remove the rod and MM screen when we fold down the Aframe for transit. It'll just be one more thing on my list of "to-dos" when we break camp.

My plan is to sew a "pocket" into the MM near the top at the desired length for the curtain rod to pass through. I'll leave the extra length at the top, beyond the rod pocket, to lay over the 2.5" and cover/fill in the gap.

The MM screen will slightly come into the room entry and not be quite as taught as a screen door or window. This look will be a little different for screening than what we are used to seeing... On the other hand it may offer some "give" to relieve the tightness issues of folks going out through it. I'll let you know if it helps...

Anther concern I'm having is whether the MM magnets will find their partners to close as it is designed to...

Fingers crossed I can sew straight side hems. Gary has requested a "clear view" like Lee's so the sides will need cut and trim sewn on for the Velcro at the door frame.

I'll post pics when I get my nerve up to cut, sew and hang it. I'm excited and exhausted with this project and it's no-where near done yet...

Deb

Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where Nature may heal and cheer and give strength to body and soul alike._ John Muir
gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:50 PM   #42
Rockwood Premier A126

Well, I (pretty much) finished the MM project.
Didn't land up fetal position in the corner, so that's a positive outcome.

Attached the curtain rod so I could measure the MM for width.
Here's the bracket on the wall:

Cut each panel to measured width with +/- extra inch allowed.
(measure once, cut twice?)

Pinned the binding tape to the edge and sewed up each panel. Added the rod pocket:

Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where Nature may heal and cheer and give strength to body and soul alike._ John Muir
Old 07-02-2013, 10:58 PM   #43
Rockwood Premier A126

Attached the white Velcro to the frame.

This shows the amount of standoff above the door. The extra MM is smooshed behind it. I haven't settled on exactly how I want to handle that yet...

We're both pretty happy with the outcome.
It should keep out most flies and slow down the mosquitos, but I wouldn't use it with the door open at night and lights on inside the Aframe. Just too many small gaps and I'm a mosquito magnet...

Deb

Old 07-02-2013, 11:32 PM   #44

Looks good Deb! I didnt think I'd sleep with door open but I sure do if its not raining! Havent had any bugs come in....mosquitos welt me for weeks if they find me so thankfully the MM keeps em out.

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:37 AM   #45
Mostly Harmless

Congratulations on jumping in and just doing it. I figured it's only something like $12 after the 20% off coupon at BBB. Even if I ruin it we can still afford shoes for the children. ;<{

I have gaps, too, in the areas between the magnets. I'm hoping the edge banding will lose its crinkles eventually. There's no issue with the magnets meeting or closing, just that halfway between any two magnets there's a slight gap between the panels. Not much but enough to make mosquitos laugh at my puny efforts to keep them out. Maybe I've installed the MM too tight side to side and need to relax the tension there a bit. Gotta play with it some more. And I may have to sew the Velcro to the screen material to keep it from pulling off; had to restick three of the Velcro sections already.
2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:36 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by handbuilder View Post
Looks good Deb! I didnt think I'd sleep with door open but I sure do if its not raining! Havent had any bugs come in....mosquitos welt me for weeks if they find me so thankfully the MM keeps em out.
A quick and easy cure for mosquito and chigger bites is to make a paste of salt and water then rub it in vigorously. Don't scratch for 10 minutes and you won't itch any more.
Old 07-13-2013, 10:32 PM   #47

thanks for the remedy, Gt! I will try that next time the bugs find me!

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 10:44 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt40 View Post
A quick and easy cure for mosquito and chigger bites is to make a paste of salt and water then rub it in vigorously. Don't scratch for 10 minutes and you won't itch any more.
Another thing I found out by accident. I was chopping onions & garlic for my wife and didn't have any soap handy to wash my hands with so I put about a teaspoon of salt in my wet hands and rubbed it like I was using liquid soap. After I rinsed the salt off my hands they didn't smell of onions or garlic at all.

That really amazed me!!!!!!!!!!! Try it for yourself.

PS: I just thought of this: I wonder if you eat unions on a sandwich and you brushed your teeth with salt afterwards would your breath not smell of onions????