Old 04-28-2013, 07:37 AM   #1

Maiden Voyage With My New Flagstaff T12RB

Just got back from my first camping venture and happy to report all went well with the camper. It's really a whole lot different than my old Flagstaff canvas sided popup. What a breeze to put up and take down!

Only had one problem with leveling the camper. Had to use my cars scissors jack to jack up the camper and put blocks under the low side. After I let it down, I had it too high. Had to jack it up again and remove one block. Took me over an hour. That convinced me to buy the Lynx leveling system, including the chock and caps so I don't have to go through that ordeal again.

Made one mistake. I opened the bed with the coffee pot plugged in and nearly destroyed the plug. That mattress is very close to the wall socket and care must be taken to make sure the socket is clear before lifting up the bed. Now I know! We live and learn!

Had a great time. 5 days of nice weather and 5 days of not so nice weather, but it sure felt good to be camping again!

Jim

Old 04-28-2013, 07:55 AM   #2

Yay!! Glad to hear you had a good time! Congrats!!

Cheers to more happy camping days!!
:-)

2012 Ford Raptor
Camping born-on date: 21 July 2012
Nights camped: 2014-3 (so far!!); 2013-16; 2012-2 nights
FarFromStock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:31 AM   #3
Moderators' Assistant

this should've been covered in your PDI:

DON'T use the jacks for leveling. your trailer has a liteweight frame and using jacks or stabilizers to level, will bend or damage the frame.

jacks or stabilizers are strictly for stabilizing, not leveling.

leveling is only to be done with Lynx-type or wood blocks. or with the BAL single-axle leveler, which is very popular with popup and A-frame owners.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:55 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
this should've been covered in your PDI:

DON'T use the jacks for leveling. your trailer has a liteweight frame and using jacks or stabilizers to level, will bend or damage the frame.

jacks or stabilizers are strictly for stabilizing, not leveling.

leveling is only to be done with Lynx-type or wood blocks. or with the BAL single-axle leveler, which is very popular with popup and A-frame owners.
Bikendan:

I didn't use the camper scissors jack to jack up the camper, I used my cars scissors jack that used to change a flat tire.

Yes, the manual states clearly NOT to use the camper jacks for anything but stabilizing.

Jim
Old 04-28-2013, 10:57 AM   #5

Glad your maden voyage went well.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:05 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjdcamper View Post
Had to use my cars scissors jack to jack up the camper....

Jim
After doing this once to change a pup tire on the side of the road, I am now thinking on how to make a mod for my battery powered drill to operate the truck scissor jack. Even if it won't do all the heavy lifting, it would make positioning and lowering the jack much easier than those difficult hook-end rods. They catch or fall off far too often for me.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:14 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooneil View Post
After doing this once to change a pup tire on the side of the road, I am now thinking on how to make a mod for my battery powered drill to operate the truck scissor jack. Even if it won't do all the heavy lifting, it would make positioning and lowering the jack much easier than those difficult hook-end rods. They catch or fall off far too often for me.
Tom:

I agree with you. My car scissors jack has the hook end arrangement and it's a pain in the neck to crank it up and down. The old time jacks, with the long handle, were a much better design and as soon as I see one, I'm going to buy it for my car. The Lynx levelers should solve the problem of having to jack the camper up and down. (At least I hope so. I haven't tried them yet, but I will on May 9th. That's my next camping date.) But if I had a flat on my car, I would like something a little easier to jack it up.

Jim
Old 04-29-2013, 07:39 AM   #8

Glad to hear things went well. Be careful with that coffee pot. Personally I couldn't imagine starting a camping morning without a cup of joe .
Old 04-29-2013, 10:46 AM   #9

Could someone post some pictures of your Lynx levelers in action so we can see how they work. I am a little hard headed and can't seem to see in my mind how they will level the trailer on uneven ground and not have the trailer rock back and forth when walking inside. Do you use the Lynx levelers first then use the four scissor jacks to stabilize the trailer so it won't rock while walking inside?

gt40
Old 04-29-2013, 10:53 AM   #10
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt40 View Post
Do you use the Lynx levelers first then use the four scissor jacks to stabilize the trailer so it won't rock while walking inside?

gt40
Yes, that works well. Stabilizers go down after the camper is level and unfolded. I also use plastic wheel chocks to keep the camper from rolling. Here's a pic of us set up on a hillside site.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2244358153.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	29271  

2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote