Making the best of a bad situation
Finally getting around to this.
This past week we made our first big trip in the a frame. Plan was to spend 3 days in Bryce Canyon, drive through Zion to St George, UT to meet my dad, and then spend 4 nights in Pine Valley, UT for fishing and such.
First 3 days in Bryce were awesome. Great hiking, incredible views, and the Ruby's campground was a great place to call home. Only problem we had was the site we had was without shade, and when it's 98 and in full sun, the little domestic A/C unit just can't keep up. It kept the trailer about 80, but that was it until the sun went down. We had a few visitors ask about the A-frame, which was neat. Lots of folks still haven't seen these.
We got up Tuesday morning, packed up, and folded the trailer to an audience and headed out. The drive through zion was amazing. Can't wait to camp there in the off season. Got to St George, met up with dad, loaded up fresh supplies and hit the road. Got within 10 miles of the new camp when we found a sign on the highway "campground closed". Turns out the mtn above was on fire. Sure would a been nice to get the phone call from the reservation office before driving down instead of 5 min after I called them, but hey. It's a fire, it was no one's fault. Looked around for other local camps and couldn't find any that offered any escape from the heat, so we made a phone call to Ruby's and went back to Bryce for 3 more days.
All in all it was a great trip. Lots of hiking and great views. Did some back country exploring, and just really made the time fly by. We got home Friday, and are already planning the next trip. Can't wait!
I tow my camper with my race car!
Nights camped so far: 14