Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2015, 01:42 PM   #1

Question Mattress Comfort

Hubby (62) and I (60) are new to campers, and to this forum!
(we tent camped up until now, using a 20 inch queen sized blowup mattress--very comfortable to us!) We just bought, and need to yet pick up our 2014 Flagstaff Hard sided, A-frame T12DDST. If we find the mattress uncomfortable, where do we start to look for a better quality of the appropriate size? 54" x 80". Thank you kindly. Kathy and Brian
kathyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 02:22 PM   #2
Retread Popup Owner

Hi Kathy, and welcome. We also have a T12DDST. We're pretty darn spoiled at home with a Sleep Number mattress. For us, the stock camper cushions did need an upgrade.

We leave the rear dinette set up full time as a bed, and we added a 4" memory foam topper. I'm pretty sure this wouldn't work for you if you're planning to turn it back into a dinette on a daily basis, but we LOVE this setup.

I hope that helps.

If you're interested, click on Camper Mods in my signature to see what we've done with ours so far.

Camping Photos
Camper Mods
Wojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 10:33 PM   #3

Damn I like people who think like I do. Full time bed works great. Of course I do fall asleep watching TV or a video
Its Cute but......
Total (2104-2017) 319 2018 (59)
dts3204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 07:36 AM   #4
Retread Popup Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dts3204 View Post
Damn I like people who think like I do. Full time bed works great. Of course I do fall asleep watching TV or a video
From the moment we began looking at A frames we were wanting a full time bed. We had decided on this basic floorplan, but were looking for the model with the mattress and lift supports. Our only local Rockwood dealer had just a lone DDST in stock, and he made us an offer on our trade in that we just couldn't refuse. We did the deal, and in hindsight I'm glad we did. The space under the bed in the "U" of the dinette is a perfect daytime storage spot for the porta potty.

I do want to add some doors under there for accessing the dinette seat storage from the inside, without having to lift up the mattress.

Camping Photos
Camper Mods
Old 04-08-2015, 07:48 AM   #5

as a brandnew owner of a minilite, I learned real fast that the "heated mattress" needed help, so added a sleep easy latex 3" topper... a little heavy, but did the trick...I have the fulltime bed.
deebarjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 07:56 AM   #6

mattress comfort

Thank you! I guess we will play around once we get the "chalet" home! I suppose we/I were over anxious, as Brian thought 1 permanent bed would be best. BUT we got a heck of a deal since this lovely a frame has sat on the lot since last summer, so we thought let's do it! Perhaps, when it is just Brian and I we could leave it set up, and when our children/ grandchildren come with us, place foam in one of their tents during the day if we need seating space....thank you for your input, and we will check out your updates! :-)
Old 04-08-2015, 07:59 AM   #7

We used to have a T12DDST; for added support we would take the cushions from the front diner and double up; we also crafted a shorter support that would fit in the round support bracket on the floor to the rear dinette table top out of PVC material.

Now we own our 2nd one w/queen size bed so we added a memory foam topper pad... Don't want to get out of bed sometimes ☕️
toxophilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 07:59 AM   #8

mattress comfort

Quote:
LOL!!
Old 04-08-2015, 08:03 AM   #9

mattress comfort

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxophilus View Post
We used to have a T12DDST; for added support we would take the cushions from the front diner and double up; we also crafted a shorter support that would fit in the round support bracket on the floor to the rear dinette table top out of PVC material.

Now we own our 2nd one w/queen size bed so we added a memory foam topper pad... Don't want to get out of bed sometimes ☕️
Hmmm....both good suggestions toxophilus, thanx! :-) I think Brian will like the idea of added upright support too.
Old 04-08-2015, 08:09 AM   #10

mattress comfort

[QUOTEdeebarjay;829617]as a brandnew owner of a minilite, I learned real fast that the "heated mattress" needed help, so added a sleep easy latex 3" topper... a little heavy, but did the trick...I have the fulltime bed.[/QUOTE]

Thanx, deebarjay! :-)
Old 04-08-2015, 11:43 AM   #11

Of course I got rid of both the tables. I planked both sides. Rear area under the full time bed is used for storage. Have a couple of totes fit in there nice. It also anchors my converted bar table during travel. Front planks come out and for a shelf for more totes etc. I wish the rear door was wider like on the Jayco models. I also wish there was a door between the cool cat and wheel on the outside. That area is a perfect place to store six packs etc but hard to get to from inside.
Its Cute but......
Total (2104-2017) 319 2018 (59)
dts3204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 03:51 PM   #12

We bought the A122 a year ago. With 2 kids in college and a visiting mother-in-law, we learned the value of the foam toppers. One night in the camper convinced us that a foam topper was needed there, too. We generally buy ours from Costco - size is an extra-long full. Now we sleep well at night.

Don't know how well the heated mattress works through the topper - we have never tried it. Set the heater to 55-58, and with a light blanket/cover we stay plenty warm on the cold nights.

The topper makes it a little more awkward to lift the bed to access the space underneath. But we generally only store stuff we get out at the beginning of the trip, and put back at the end. Things like the gray water bucket and hose, camp stove, propane lantern - items that are too big or too far forward to get out the rear outside door, but are only accessed once per campsite.

At the right rear door, I have chocks, my stack of Lynx Levelers, level, tongue jack wheel, equalizer bar lever (never used), lug nut cross (also never used yet), electrical cable, water hose. These are all things I use in setting up the camper (or repairing), so I have them accessible from the outside. Tools, 1lb propane cylinders, and similar are in the left side rear with the slide out tray.

Dry food, cooking and dining gear go under the dinette seat - to which I added a latch to hold open.

We made the deliberate choice to buy the smallest A-frame for an easy fit in the garage, and have it pre-stocked for our minimalist camping. Toss 2 smallish coolers with food and drink, the EZ-up for the picnic table, and a small duffel each for clothes in the minivan, and we are ready for a weekend trip. Plug in the camper, pre-cool the fridge the night before (and recharge batteries), load the van, hook-up, and go.

just our experiences
Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122
2008 Hyundai Entourage with Equalizer 600/6000 WDH and anti-sway
camping Colorado (and Nebraska, Wyoming, Utah, Texas, New Mexico) one weekend (long or short) at a time
pgandw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 03:16 PM   #13

Mattress comfort

Quote:
Of course I got rid of both the tables. I planked both sides. Rear area under the full time bed is used for storage. Have a couple of totes fit in there nice. It also anchors my converted bar table during travel. Front planks come out and for a shelf for more totes etc. I wish the rear door was wider like on the Jayco models. I also wish there was a door between the cool cat and wheel on the outside. That area is a perfect place to store six packs etc but hard to get to from inside.
LOL!
Old 04-10-2015, 06:53 PM   #14

mattress comfort

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wojo View Post
From the moment we began looking at A frames we were wanting a full time bed. We had decided on this basic floorplan, but were looking for the model with the mattress and lift supports. Our only local Rockwood dealer had just a lone DDST in stock, and he made us an offer on our trade in that we just couldn't refuse. We did the deal, and in hindsight I'm glad we did. The space under the bed in the "U" of the dinette is a perfect daytime storage spot for the porta potty.

I do want to add some doors under there for accessing the dinette seat storage from the inside, without having to lift up the mattress.
Wojo, thank you VERY much for your reply . Much of what you wrote is very helpful along with your modifications. My husband is planning on adopting many of your suggestions. Many thanks, Kathy and Brian
Old 04-12-2015, 07:33 PM   #15
Retread Popup Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathyp View Post
Wojo, thank you VERY much for your reply . Much of what you wrote is very helpful along with your modifications. My husband is planning on adopting many of your suggestions. Many thanks, Kathy and Brian
You're very welcome.

Camping Photos
Camper Mods