Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2017, 06:45 PM   #1

May the winds be with u

Just got back from a original 4 day trip down to 3 when I experienced the ultimate. I was in brevard county fl and the winds on the 2nd and 3rd day were a steady 20-22 mph with gale force warning that I can attest to. But what I wanted to mention is when I went to close the camper the winds were so strong that when I raised my side the other side wouldn't drop to to the sustained winds. Now that's windy. Had my better have pull down the opposing side I was history. Did I mention the low was 42 degrees with 22mph. Mucho frio.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2015 t19qbhw
2015 Toyota Tundra crewmax lmtd
Old 01-11-2017, 04:18 PM   #2

Next time...pack the trailer....crankup the stabilizers and move it to a sheltered location when fully open.
then drop the roof.
the roof halves . .will go down with no issue
If in a tight squeeze . ..just dont let wind hit the front end...when coming down...
Oncoming storms are protected my moving my truck....tight next to my a122...to protect it from winds.
Old 01-12-2017, 06:22 PM   #3
World Traveler Member

When in a Windy area Moving it as D-mo said is good, But if in doubt always carry a rope and throw it over the A frame and tie off to rear and front bumper to act as a safety and do not hesitate to ask others to assist if needed. I have done both over the years with my camping experience.
Old 01-15-2017, 08:43 PM   #4

On our last camping trip on the beach at Lake Michigan it had been rough weather for a few days and the winds were blowing 40 plus mph off the lake. I was worried taking down the roof since the back end was pointed into the wind that the front roof section would catch the wind causing all kinds of problems. I grabbed a rope and tied it to the handle on the side of the roof on the front section and had my son hold light pressure on it. As I lifted the front roof section trying to hold on anywhere the back section was pushed downward from the wind and the front followed right behind it, I sure was glad when it was all closed up.
sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote