Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2015, 08:37 PM   #1
Site Team

Modification: Add Storage Space For A Thetford Curve Porta Potti

When my DW agreed to "downsize" to a A-Frame we had to find a Porta Potti that she would approve of instead of the tiny unit that came with our trailer. She decided on a Thetford Curve as it is very tall and she likes the overall unit. Not a bad choice...but it won't fit anywhere in the trailers storage areas unless it is disassembled!

So I started looking for a solution... First, it is only us in the trailer so we don't need the front bed capability. Second, I hate that heavy weight dining table that came with the trailer. So out with the factory table!

After ditching the table I had plenty of room to add a storage cabinet in the nose of the trailer. After some serious searching I settled on a Home Styles Natural Kitchen Island Model #: 5040-95 Lowes Item #: 432267. It was the largest unit I felt comfortable installing as it dimensions are 28.5" wide, 18" deep, and 34" high. Since I did not use the caster the unit is about 31 inches high. I think it looks pretty good...you can see it Here at Lowes.

When I assembled the unit I did not install the casters, nor did I put on the handle / towel holder. I just ignored those parts of the instructions. The unit assembled easily and uses screws, not cam locks like some other brands, to hold it together so it should be quite solid. Assembled it just barely went through the door of our trailer with about an inch to spare.

After getting it in to the trailer I found the first "gotcha". The doors wouldn't close with the Curve sitting inside of the unit. I needed about an extra half inch of space. No problem... Since the cabinet does not sit flush against the trailer wall a little brute force punching out the center section of the back solved the problem. If anyone else buys this unit just don't install the center back section. You will need the top and bottom sections to hold it together. Here is a picture of the unit, sans back in our trailer:

But what about a table? To replace the table we bought a folding Spider Legs table. That is it sitting to the right of the cabinet in the above photo. When it is opened up you have this:

Not bad... Now I have solved both issues! A table for during the day, that easily folds up at night, and an open space to place the "Curve" during the night!

Last here is a picture of everything in "travel mode":

I have a few issues to resolve before I'm finished. Mounting the cabinet will be done with perforated steel strap tape. It will run from the back of the cabinets sides to the factory table support on the trailers back wall. To further keep the cabinet from shifting or moving I'm using 3M's Red automotive trim tape to "stick" the cabinet's base to the floor along the edges. That tape will stick just about anything to anything and it won't loose its grip! Also the magnetic clasp that holds the doors shut will never hold while traveling. So a carabiner, or other latch type, will be used for that. I'll follow up with more pictures when I can get back to the trailer to finish this off...

Not only did this mod give us more space and storage the cabinet top is just the right height for a coffee tray to sit on while relaxing at the dinette. And the drawer holds all the pieces and parts and chemicals that came with the "Curve".

I hope this helps anyone considering adding more storage space, for whatever reason, to their A-Frame. Let me know if you have any questions...
Old 04-22-2015, 09:01 PM   #2

Very nice. Thanks for the info and the links.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 09:14 PM   #3

Nice job, good use of space.

(2013 Ford F150 Crewcab Ecoboost traded)
Mowgli64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 03:35 PM   #4

VERY nice!!
brewjaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 08:48 AM   #5

Way to go to personal alone the space for your needs! Love the hidden toilet!

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 09:06 AM   #6

Do you have a link to that nice table? I love it. Real wood and folds up nice. Looks sturdy also.

My DW is gonna love that. We breakdown the pop up table for a bed for DS and hence lose our table. I would love to get one of these.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 09:34 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinmaker View Post
Do you have a link to that nice table? I love it. Real wood and folds up nice. Looks sturdy also.

My DW is gonna love that. We breakdown the pop up table for a bed for DS and hence lose our table. I would love to get one of these.

Vin.
In my post if you click on "Spider Legs", under the first photo, I embedded a link to their website. If that doesn't work click Here.
Old 04-25-2015, 01:58 AM   #8
Happy AFrame Campers

Great table! Would you mind sharing which model you chose at spiderlegs.com ? Thanks!
yayus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 07:51 AM   #9

ya, that's where I'd like to eat my meals, on top of the toilet!
azwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 08:53 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by yayus View Post
Great table! Would you mind sharing which model you chose at spiderlegs.com ? Thanks!
I have the "Cafe" model which is 30"X30" and 29" tall.
Old 04-27-2015, 12:57 PM   #11
Site Team

Updated Photos

This morning I finished the installation of the storage cabinet in our trailer. To semi-permanently secure it I used "plumbers perforated steel tape", or "steel strap tape", and 3M Automotive Trim tape. Both were available at my local Ace Hardware.

The factory installed front wall table / bed mount is easy to access and fairly strong. So that was the point the "strap tape" routed to for securing the cabinet. I ran the first strap down the middle of the back of the cabinet and screwed it to the cabinet frame. After measuring the height of the trailer table mount I ran a second strap at that same height across the back of the cabinet. Again secured with wood screws to the cabinet frame. The two straps cross over the table mount. (Which is now nicely hidden behind the strap tape in the picture. ) I then secured the cabinet to the mount with three wood screws. Here is a picture looking in to the cabinet:

I used the 3M tape to secure the base of the cabinet to the flooring. A twelve inch strip on all four sides keeps the cabinet from shifting either left to right or up and down. For those not familiar with the tape it is the same tape car manufactures use for adding body molding to new vehicles. I have been using it for years whenever I need to "stick" something to something else. I have never had it fail to hold...just be really sure what you are sticking is were you want before you pull off the backing!

Last here is a photo showing the cabinet after I lowered the sides. There is plenty of room to go around three inches higher if you find a different cabinet than I used. Over all I'm quite satisfied with how this mod worked out...

Let me know if you have any questions...
Old 04-27-2015, 01:02 PM   #12

That's a nice mod, now you have a Chamber Pot....hidden good idea...

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 05:19 PM   #13

Nice Installation

Having this space for installing a cabinet is awesome. The original table is also too large for us. I will be using a Lifetime folding table that is smaller and lightweight. Our previous Coleman popup had the original table taken out and the smaller table offered different options in its use. Great ideas on this forum.
A-Frame Don is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, ford, storage, modifications