Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2013, 07:03 AM   #1

Mods we have made

We purchased a Flagstaff a-frame last year but didn't get to use it much. However this summer we spent 41 days camping exploring Alaska and the Yukon. Here is a list of modifications I just completed prior to storage. It's a long time until May.
1. Added a 12 volt outlet to charge whatever
2. Added 3/8" connector nut to the jack so I could use an electric drill to operate jack. This is attached with a 3 pt hitch pin so if I forget the drill I can easily replace the crank handle.
3. Replaced interior lights with LEDs
4. Added a computer fan to aid cooling of refrigerator condenser coils (this works great)
5. Added a computer fan to the inside of the refrigerator to aid in cooling. Both of these fans are on switches so they can be easily turned off.
6. Added a flag pole mount to the jack using conduit connectors. Replaces the one made of pvc pipe and hose clamps so we can fly a larger flag.
7. Purchased right angle power strips
8. Purchased ¾” socket for stabilizer jacks and 13/16” socket for the connector nut on the jack for use with the battery operated drill. (25 cents each at the pawn shop)
lonewolf465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:22 AM   #2
Mostly Harmless

Nice bunch of comfort and convenience mods there. We too have taken our A-frame through the Yukon and Alaska, even as far as Inuvik, NWT. Do you have a log or blog of your trip posted anywhere? Be fun to read it to relive good times.
2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:45 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehamguy1 View Post
Nice bunch of comfort and convenience mods there. We too have taken our A-frame through the Yukon and Alaska, even as far as Inuvik, NWT. Do you have a log or blog of your trip posted anywhere? Be fun to read it to relive good times.
No blog, only our written journals. We traveled about 150 miles up the Dempster but ran out of time to complete the trip to Inunik. We are planning on heading up again within the next 5 years. We have a new bucket list started. Spent 5 days at Denali with the mountain in full view every day. Kennicot mine was a great experience. Enjoyed the Kenai peninsula. On the way home, we stopped at Hyder, Alaska. We were too early for the bears but the road trip to the Salmon Glacier may have been the highlight of the trip. MILEPOST and TRAVELERS GUIDE TO ALASKAN CAMPING by Mike and Teri Church were indispensable.
Old 10-30-2013, 05:46 PM   #4
Mostly Harmless

Oh Man! You had Denali in view for 5 entire days!?!? Our guide there said over 80% of visitors are never able to see it. You were lucky. And the Kenai is a place we would go again in a blink of an eye. What gorgeousity! We enjoyed the Canadian part of the trip a whole lot. Seems there were coffee shops and bakeries in every town big enough to have a stop sign.
2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 05:59 PM   #5
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Oh Man! You had Denali in view for 5 entire days!?!? Our guide there said over 80% of visitors are never able to see it. You were lucky. And the Kenai is a place we would go again in a blink of an eye. What gorgeousity! We enjoyed the Canadian part of the trip a whole lot. Seems there were coffee shops and bakeries in every town big enough to have a stop sign.
Got to snowmobile within about 15 miles of Denali a few yrs back and it is breathtaking in the winter as well as in the summer.

Correction: It's snow machining in Alaska.
Old 10-30-2013, 07:27 PM   #6

Quote:
I have to gloat----saw the mountain from Fairbanks, Anchorage and just about anytime we took a look in her direction. We know we were very fortunate. We too enjoyed the bakeries and coffee shops in Canada.
Old 10-30-2013, 07:37 PM   #7

Nice list of mods you got done!
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 04:13 PM   #8
2008 Hybrid Forest River

I like the changing your lights to LED lights. Is there a site you used to show you how to do it? Did you have to re-wire anything? I understand that this is a good idea with your lighting because if you're not plugged in for power it can put a strain on your battery.
tra08hyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 04:36 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tra08hyb View Post
I like the changing your lights to LED lights. Is there a site you used to show you how to do it? Did you have to re-wire anything? I understand that this is a good idea with your lighting because if you're not plugged in for power it can put a strain on your battery.
There's no wiring required. You buy LED replacements for your existing lights, so they have the same socket base as the incandescents in your camper now.
Old 11-03-2013, 04:54 PM   #10
2008 Hybrid Forest River

Makes me want to go out to the trailer right now before the snow comes in tomorrow to see what kind of light sockets would work. Thanks for the quick response.
tra08hyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:38 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tra08hyb View Post
No change in wiring needed. Simply replace the bulbs. I used two different ones and haven't decided which ones we like the best.
These are bulbs that just replace the originals:
http://www.amazon.com/42-SMD-Replacement-Light-Bulbs-STICKER/dp/B0087XOTWW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1383571855&sr=8-1&keywords=921+led $5.63 for 2
These are flat panels:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Light-Panel-48-SMD-LED-T10-38mm-Dome-Festoon-Bulb-Base/390477573662?_trksid=p2045573.m2042&_trkparms=aid% 3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D180 60%26meid%3D2464894031728667230%26pid%3D100033%26p rg%3D8304%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D390477573662%2 6#ht_2948wt_1141 $2.49 each with free shipping. These have an adhesive backing that you press on to the inside of the light housing. I think these put out a little more light than the previously mentioned bulbs. These panels come with 3 different adapters for various light sockets.

Both are replacements for the 921 bulb in our Flagstaff a-frame.
Old 11-04-2013, 10:00 AM   #12

Lonewolf, how many of those panels can be accommodated in the fixture as a replacement for one bulb?

The panels have some advantages if you are able to use a soldiering iron to connect more than one to the pigtail. Although they project light directionally, using mounting tape and shims they can be pointed in different directions to spread the light around.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 12:25 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooneil View Post
Lonewolf, how many of those panels can be accommodated in the fixture as a replacement for one bulb?

The panels have some advantages if you are able to use a soldiering iron to connect more than one to the pigtail. Although they project light directionally, using mounting tape and shims they can be pointed in different directions to spread the light around.
You are correct that the led's are highly directional. We haven't "field tested" these lights but have only checked them up with the camper set up in the shed. Our Flagstaff A-frame's original light fixures house two bulbs. There is a fixture on each end of the camper. The bulbs came first and when I installed them, both my bride and I agreed that they were very similar to the OEM bulbs. When the panels came, we agreed that the panels might be a little brighter with a more bluish light. I don't think you could squeeze two of the panels into the original housing. As I mentioned, each housing had two bulbs now replaced with two panels. We didn't notice a difference in light dispersion. The plastic defuser on the housing seems to take care of that. For a total of less than $11, I thought it would be a grand experiment!
Old 11-04-2013, 01:46 PM   #14

Thanks for the clarification. They must be much bigger (and brighter) than the panels I used inside my pop up in the past.

If I hadn't already put in an LED lighting system in my truck's bed cap, those would be a good option. And less expensive than the lights I used. In fact I could still probably use one to spot light my gear carrier in the back.

2012 Rockwood A122S

Old 11-04-2013, 06:44 PM   #15

I started with panels in the overhead lights, ended up removing them on one side and leaving them in only half of the light in the dinette side. The panels are just too damn bright. And with the led light tape mod with mini dimmer, we generally use that much more often for ambient lighting needs than the direct lighting of the overhead ceiling fixtures.
Old 11-06-2013, 11:43 PM   #16

no pics = It didn't happen.
Old 04-09-2014, 03:44 PM   #17

Have they made a change to the 2014 12DDST Model. I went to change the bulbs to the 921's and it looks like they have led tube lighting in there, or am I missing something. Also would like to see a picture of the mod to the crank so I can figure it out.
Thanks
dts3204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 06:44 PM   #18

Not to threadjack this but I figured rather than start a new thread I would share a few things I have done with my new a122.

1) Voltage display (Amazon). This way I can keep an eye on the power level of the battery. I really don't understand how this is not included stock.

2) 12v power outlet / Dual USB charging ports (Amazon)

3) 24" TV with built in DVD player (Bestbuy was on sale last week)

The USB / 12v port cost a bit more than I had wanted to pay at first, but I think it looks a bit better than the less expensive options and decided to go for it.

The TV didnt come with the 12v plug, but I just took it into Radioshack and they had a generic car charger that came with 4 or 5 swappable tips and it came with one that fit (if not they sell quite a few beyond what comes with it, just make sure you make the TIP positive)

loki008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 04:12 PM   #19

I just completed the inside Fridge Fan mod.

Parts List

3 Pin Fan Extension Cable $3

120mm Computer Fan $14 (Probably overkill)

12v LED switch from Radio shack for $4.50 (I like radio shack's switches over what I saw on amazon as they mount easily with a 1/2" hole drilled)

Process

When i started preparing for this mod I had planned on using the light inside the fridge that I have read about others doing. Well out units dont have lights (its a new camper to me so i haven't had the chance to notice too much about the fridge) So my next plan was to run the wires through the drain plug, which again we do not have in our fridge (strike 2). So finally I decided that I would run the wires through the small hole that the thermosensor is run through.

To do this I took electrical tape and taped the wires to a wooden cooking skewer and attempted to fish the wires through the existing hole. This however did not work out exactly as planned. In the process the skewer made its own exit hole on the outside of the insulation. I dont see any major issue with this and at least I now i had the wires out of the fridge and somewhere where I could get power from.

As you can see, the red and black wires that are taped to the insulation run up behind the fins in the picture just a few inches above where the thermosensor comes out. But I dont think it should cause any issues.

Now I ran a pair of wires (Red and White in the above photo) along the bottom of the fridge access panel (there was a perfect sized gap between the hot and cold water pipes running along the bottom. into the compartment under the table bench that contains all the power and water heater.

Once there I tapped into the 12v line to one of the lights and added a small rocker switch from radioshack

I then zip tied the lower screw holes in the fan to the shelf and it is firmly held in place with just the 2 zip ties.

Overall I am sure the 120mm fan is a bit overkill but i figured the higher CFM and lower speed would help when the fridge is full. I also decided to use the fan extension cable so that if the fan ever needs replacing it is plug and play.

I forgot to snap pictures of where i tapped into the 12v line before closing up the camper. If anyone needs any I can get them next weekend when i am out with it.
loki008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 09:34 PM   #20

Nice job.

On a previous camper, I used a small CPU fan that made fair amount of noise. My guess is that you won't hear the 120MM fan even with the door open. Good choice.

2012 Rockwood A122S

Tags
modifications