Old 10-30-2013, 08:03 AM   #1

Mods we have made

We purchased a Flagstaff a-frame last year but didn't get to use it much. However this summer we spent 41 days camping exploring Alaska and the Yukon. Here is a list of modifications I just completed prior to storage. It's a long time until May.
1. Added a 12 volt outlet to charge whatever
2. Added 3/8" connector nut to the jack so I could use an electric drill to operate jack. This is attached with a 3 pt hitch pin so if I forget the drill I can easily replace the crank handle.
3. Replaced interior lights with LEDs
4. Added a computer fan to aid cooling of refrigerator condenser coils (this works great)
5. Added a computer fan to the inside of the refrigerator to aid in cooling. Both of these fans are on switches so they can be easily turned off.
6. Added a flag pole mount to the jack using conduit connectors. Replaces the one made of pvc pipe and hose clamps so we can fly a larger flag.
7. Purchased right angle power strips
8. Purchased ¾” socket for stabilizer jacks and 13/16” socket for the connector nut on the jack for use with the battery operated drill. (25 cents each at the pawn shop)

Old 10-30-2013, 10:22 AM   #2
Mostly Harmless

Nice bunch of comfort and convenience mods there. We too have taken our A-frame through the Yukon and Alaska, even as far as Inuvik, NWT. Do you have a log or blog of your trip posted anywhere? Be fun to read it to relive good times.

2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 10:45 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehamguy1 View Post
Nice bunch of comfort and convenience mods there. We too have taken our A-frame through the Yukon and Alaska, even as far as Inuvik, NWT. Do you have a log or blog of your trip posted anywhere? Be fun to read it to relive good times.
No blog, only our written journals. We traveled about 150 miles up the Dempster but ran out of time to complete the trip to Inunik. We are planning on heading up again within the next 5 years. We have a new bucket list started. Spent 5 days at Denali with the mountain in full view every day. Kennicot mine was a great experience. Enjoyed the Kenai peninsula. On the way home, we stopped at Hyder, Alaska. We were too early for the bears but the road trip to the Salmon Glacier may have been the highlight of the trip. MILEPOST and TRAVELERS GUIDE TO ALASKAN CAMPING by Mike and Teri Church were indispensable.
Old 10-30-2013, 06:46 PM   #4
Mostly Harmless

Oh Man! You had Denali in view for 5 entire days!?!? Our guide there said over 80% of visitors are never able to see it. You were lucky. And the Kenai is a place we would go again in a blink of an eye. What gorgeousity! We enjoyed the Canadian part of the trip a whole lot. Seems there were coffee shops and bakeries in every town big enough to have a stop sign.
2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 06:59 PM   #5
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Oh Man! You had Denali in view for 5 entire days!?!? Our guide there said over 80% of visitors are never able to see it. You were lucky. And the Kenai is a place we would go again in a blink of an eye. What gorgeousity! We enjoyed the Canadian part of the trip a whole lot. Seems there were coffee shops and bakeries in every town big enough to have a stop sign.
Got to snowmobile within about 15 miles of Denali a few yrs back and it is breathtaking in the winter as well as in the summer.

Correction: It's snow machining in Alaska.
Old 10-30-2013, 08:27 PM   #6

Quote:
I have to gloat----saw the mountain from Fairbanks, Anchorage and just about anytime we took a look in her direction. We know we were very fortunate. We too enjoyed the bakeries and coffee shops in Canada.
Old 10-30-2013, 08:37 PM   #7

Nice list of mods you got done!
Old 11-03-2013, 04:13 PM   #8
2008 Hybrid Forest River

I like the changing your lights to LED lights. Is there a site you used to show you how to do it? Did you have to re-wire anything? I understand that this is a good idea with your lighting because if you're not plugged in for power it can put a strain on your battery.
Old 11-03-2013, 04:36 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tra08hyb View Post
I like the changing your lights to LED lights. Is there a site you used to show you how to do it? Did you have to re-wire anything? I understand that this is a good idea with your lighting because if you're not plugged in for power it can put a strain on your battery.
There's no wiring required. You buy LED replacements for your existing lights, so they have the same socket base as the incandescents in your camper now.
Old 11-03-2013, 04:54 PM   #10
2008 Hybrid Forest River

Makes me want to go out to the trailer right now before the snow comes in tomorrow to see what kind of light sockets would work. Thanks for the quick response.

Tags
modifications