Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2016, 01:51 PM   #1

More Water

We were out for four days (boon docking) and the campground had one water place to fill your trailer tank.
Once you have your trailer all set up and need more water in the tank what do you?

The angle of the spout is difficult to pour water into... ideas.
JoArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 02:05 PM   #2

I carry one or two 7 gallon fresh water containers purchased at Wal-Mart. I purchased a 12V pump (about$35.00) from Harbor Frieght, set up some 12V extension wires. I use my regular fresh water hose on the input to the pump and a cut down piece of hose for the output into the rig. No need to lift and pour in 56 pounds of water. Works great and the pump has enough power to pump up several feet.

Something like this

12v Marine Utility Water Pump

Or this

12 Volt Marine Utility Water Pump

2013 Ford F-350 SD Diesel, 4X4, Crew Cab, Lariat
Sabre 2014 32RCTS, Pullrite Superglide 2900 18K
Davidceder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 02:10 PM   #3

Depending on what/how you fill your tank.

Camco RV Fresh-Water Tank Filler - 5/8" Diameter Camco Plumbing CAM40023

Another option is a second water pump wired up to fit the four pin connection of your TV.
Old 06-05-2016, 02:17 PM   #4

We freeze ice for the coolers in a couple of one gallon milk jugs, use the melted water for coffee. Then anyone making a trip to the bathroom has to bring back 2 gallons of water. The milk jugs are flexible enough to force the top into the fill spout. You can pour in all except the last few drops. Nuthin fancy, but it works and requires minimum effort.
Butch Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 05:09 PM   #5

I use this. Spout fits right into camper water fill.

Ozark Trail Desert Patrol 6-Gal Water Jug - Walmart.com
mzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 07:24 PM   #6

I've been dealing with this for the past month. I have an "X" folding aluminum table that is just higher than the fresh water intake. I use an Aquatainer, the spout is replaced by a mpt to mht converter then with a short piece of hose connected to a camco fill spout. It drains slowly and incompletely, but that's no problem.

The table does double duty as the side table to my camp chair. I also have a smaller plastic "X" table for outside dish washing.

I tried to use a water bandit at a forest service park but couldn't get enough pressure to open up 50 feet of collapsible water hose.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 07:26 PM   #7

I went on my first trip last week and couldn't tell you how many times I filled my 6 gallon water can. I got a 30 gallon plastic tank for the back of my truck and a pump now so it should be much easier.

2015 F150 Sport 4x4 3.5 Eco Boost
4B11T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 03:23 PM   #8

I cut the top half of a one gallon plastic water jug off and used it as a funnel for pouring water into the FWT. You can use all kinds of containers to fill the funnel.
2008 Toyota Sequoia 2WD
Big Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 03:36 PM   #9

We have a water jugs similar to this:
Igloo Cargo II 6-Gal Water Container - Walmart.com

After the initial fill of the tank with a hose and parking the trailer we just use it once or twice a day to keep the tank topped off.
keith_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 04:23 PM   #10
Site Team

We primarily dry camp so this isn't unusual for us.
Just use a 6 gallon water jug from Walmart.
Looks like a plastic jerry can.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 08:12 PM   #11
World Traveler Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoArt View Post
We were out for four days (boon docking) and the campground had one water place to fill your trailer tank.
Once you have your trailer all set up and need more water in the tank what do you?

The angle of the spout is difficult to pour water into... ideas.
Walmart has a 6 gallon water container that has a small spout on it and I carry it empty and if needed I just fill and pour into the trailer tank. Cheap and easy with No pump required. I also carry a water hose with a filter and I do use it to fill my containers to keep the water as clean as possible.
Old 06-07-2016, 09:28 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith_h View Post
We have a water jugs similar to this:
Igloo Cargo II 6-Gal Water Container - Walmart.com
What is the configuration of the vent on that can? I have the cheap desert patrol style cans for my home emergency kit. They have a plastic push-in plug that pops out with the first slosh. They rarely used (twice filled but ultimately not needed) but stored in the garage heat for over a decade and I am looking for a sturdier replacement.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 10:18 PM   #13
World Traveler Member

Ozark Trail Desert Patrol 6-Gal Water Jug - Walmart.com

I got this at Walmart and only $12.97 I been using these for years.
Old 06-07-2016, 10:57 PM   #14

We carry 2 - 6 gallon jugs from Wal-Mart also. A carry over from our Pop Up a few years back.

Unfortunately, the jug nozzles alone are of no use with our TT so I made a portable filling funnel, adapted to fit into the FWT opening. Got it from Wal-Mart as well. I took off the flexible hose and replaced it with a 3' rubber water hose. Cut the opening of the funnel tip a bit larger to snugly adapt the hose through the hole, to pull through, and long enough to go down into the FW tank. This bypasses any air pockets that I have and works perfectly.

My new TT needs some assistance when filling the FWT due to back flushing. This mod fits the bill perfectly when having to fill with jugs, when away from home. We are good!

This is the funnel I used to improvise my water filling solution.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	25981875_bli_btz11881_pri_larg.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	9.1 KB
ID:	110455  

2023 Flagstaff 206STSE
2019 Flagstaff HW29SC ( sold )
2017 Salem Cruise Lite 232RBXL ( sold )
2014 Ford 150 XLT 5.0 2wd
Briorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 11:16 PM   #15

5 gal. collapsible water container. I also bring a folding hand cart (formerly used at work...LOL) so I don't have to carry 40# around especially if its a long distance or if multiple loads are needed. (I'd throw it in the car trunk or pickup truck if I had one but we have a Class C RV and no toad.)

To get the water into the FW tank, switch the water pump to antifreeze (winterize) mode and put the antifreeze input hose (cleaned...) into the water tank. Use the exterior sprayer (which in our unit is basically a hose with a spray nozzle) to run the water right into the fresh water input line to the FW tank. Once you open the spray nozzle, the water pump starts pumping the water out.

Just to be clear, the connection is water jug - antifreeze input line - water pump (switched to winterize mode, and power on) - exterior sprayer hose - fresh water input port.

When the jug runs dry, shut off the exterior sprayer hose and the pump will stop; otherwise it will keep trying to pressurize the water line drawing from an empty jug.
Old 06-08-2016, 01:16 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooneil View Post
What is the configuration of the vent on that can? I have the cheap desert patrol style cans for my home emergency kit. They have a plastic push-in plug that pops out with the first slosh. They rarely used (twice filled but ultimately not needed) but stored in the garage heat for over a decade and I am looking for a sturdier replacement.
I'm not sure on the Igloo from the link as we have another brand but as I said they are similar. On mine the vent is on the side of the handle opposite the spout. It is permanent and you pop a cap on and off to open it. What I like about the style is they have the handle on the side which makes it easier for me to hold when filling the trailer.
keith_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 04:20 PM   #17

Thanks for all the suggestions.
We are going to be looking for a flexible neck hose attached to the six gallon water container.
JoArt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water