Old 01-07-2016, 07:10 AM   #1

My 2016 Camping Plans

Wife and I discussed our camping plans for this year. Last year we had way too many medical issues to do much camping but plan on making up for it this year God willing.

I want to camp at all the Texas State Parks that allow camping. I know this will take several years but I'm in the planning stages now. I broke all the parks down by area taken from the Texas State Parks and Wildlife book. I'll hit each area and try to do an area at a time such as "Gulf Coast" and them move to the next area such as "Hill Country." I know we won't always follow that procedure but gotta start somewhere.

I don't want to just go to each park and then move on just to get a count. I want to stay as long as we want to especially if it's a really nice park with the activities we like such as hiking, biking, kayaking, fishing. If we stay 3 days then great....if we don't particularly care for the park and only stay one day then great too.

We've been camping for over 30 years but only for a weekend at the most. It will be nice to take off for a week or two and not have to rush back.

My wife is a hiker and goes all over the state with her hiking group so we can camp now that I'm retired instead of her having to go to a motel.

I'll be doing some of the trips by myself but hope she will be on most of them with me.

I'm excited to say the least. Hope to put many miles on our Aframe this year.

So what are your camping plans for 2016?

David

Total Nights Camping 2015-(9)
Total Nights Camping 2016-(5)
Total Nights Camping 2017-(4)
mlsa3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 07:26 AM   #2
(Dry Huunday)

That sounds like a cool goal! Looking forward to seeing some pics from your trips!

We are flying from the hip for most of this year. Just got off our New Years trip to the NC Mountains. May do the beach (local) for a few days in March. Thinking about a NE US trip in the summer. Maybe NC mountains again in the Fall and who knows where we will end up for New Years!!!

We are planning a couple of Camping trips to Shackleford Banks (again local) to hang out with the Ponies, but that will be tent camping via our boat!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 08:40 AM   #3

My 2016 Camping Plans

I just booked half of my trips for 2016 last night. Next week we kick off the camping year at the FROG rally in Kissimmee Florida.

Interrupt camping for cruise in March. Then we have a camping trip planned every month through October.

In October we are camping every weekend. It will be 40-50 nights for 2016.

Another FROG rally in Gettysburg in June. Ocean City Bike Week in September.

We like state parks a lot so besides the FROG rallies in regular campgrounds, we will be held up in state parks of Pa, MD, and Delaware. Boon docking to and from Florida. Empty nest is awesome.

Are we there yet? 🎉
5.7L Hemi, 3:73 Rear
Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 08:48 AM   #4

A gathering of Aframes Ramsey SP 1st of April Out to Kingman AZ for A Frame Tech Classes, NRA Convention Louisville KY, CGLR Dayton Oh, GOA Quabache Trails park. Aliners owner Group (I am and SOB) Shipshewana, FROG International, AOC Mark Twain Lake COE, AOG National Branson MO, AOG New Salem, That takes care of it from April to October There maybe a wedding I will attend
Its Cute but......
Total 87(2014) 58(2015) 77(2016) 95(2017)
dts3204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 12:25 PM   #5

Loop the USA

Just retired in December and have been planning a 2-3 month trip around the US. I have 5 states I have not been to and hope to hit them all on this trip - Alaska may or may not be on the agenda, I'll see when I get up to Washington/Vancouver.

Just moved to Myrtle Beach and plan to head out the first to mid April and travel further south/Florida then take a southern route and hit New Mexico for sure as haven't been there. Will probably do some weaving through various states and have to hit Oregon also unvisited at this point. Northern route back will have to include North and South Dakota - mission accomplished - will have been to all 50 states.

Any words of wisdom on making such a trip. I'm flexible and the travel time will depend on how long I spend at certain areas/side trips etc. Main goal is to hit south early Spring and by the time I get to the upper states it will have warmed up some and also miss some of the early season tourist travel.
Camping Days 2013 - 24
Camping Days 2014 - 21
Projected Camping Days 2015 - 30
Loneeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 12:30 PM   #6

New Mexico or Washington for two weeks or so and then some extended weekends local.
Old 01-10-2016, 01:20 PM   #7

We are heading to Florida late June for a week and then to Savannah, GA for a few days. From there to Mt Airy, NC and to drive the Blue Ridge Parkway. Not sure of the rest of the adventure but will wind back through Kentucky and Ohio for some stops. Have a couple of festivals we do each year and then there are weekends fishing. We too camp most every weekend in Oct. Almost forgot Branson &/or Bennett Springs for some trout fishing.
2011 Shamrock 23ss
2000 Suburban 1500 4 X 4
ngts camped 2016-24 so far. reservations for 11 more
ilovecamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 01:39 PM   #8

Plans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loneeagle View Post
Just retired in December and have been planning a 2-3 month trip around the US. I have 5 states I have not been to and hope to hit them all on this trip - Alaska may or may not be on the agenda, I'll see when I get up to Washington/Vancouver.

Just moved to Myrtle Beach and plan to head out the first to mid April and travel further south/Florida then take a southern route and hit New Mexico for sure as haven't been there. Will probably do some weaving through various states and have to hit Oregon also unvisited at this point. Northern route back will have to include North and South Dakota - mission accomplished - will have been to all 50 states.

Any words of wisdom on making such a trip. I'm flexible and the travel time will depend on how long I spend at certain areas/side trips etc. Main goal is to hit south early Spring and by the time I get to the upper states it will have warmed up some and also miss some of the early season tourist travel.
If your going to New Mexico I would suggest do not miss tha Balloon Fiesta!
We went last year and it is a must see. Balloons of all kinds and RV's as far as the eye can see, they also provide water and electrical hookups if you don't want to dry camp. We stayed 5 days. Lots of places to see in the surrounding area.
Have fun!! Where ever you go!!
Old 01-10-2016, 02:00 PM   #9

The State of Texas has great State Parks. The bathrooms are always clean and the folks who go their for the most part pretty great. Only had one problem with noisy people who's music you could hear in every inch of the park. After an hour of that crap and the campground host would not do anything, I asked them to turn it down. When they tried to intimidate me, I threaten to call the police. They wanted no part of that.
2015 23BD Grey Wolf, 2012 Chevy Silverado 1500
2015 - 7 nights, 2 trips, 2016 - 2 trip, 24 nights
Life is short
mdstudey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 03:04 PM   #10

We are recently retired and planning on spending most of the summer touring Canada and Alaska.

Tags
camping