Old 05-25-2015, 07:36 PM   #1

My Alarm Faux Pas

We are selling our house, and moved our furniture out beginning Friday. The A122 setup in the driveway was to be (and is) our "home" for the next week.

Returning from our April trip to Nebraska, I heard occasional chirping from an alarm inside the camper. I didn't get around to checking it out, rather plugged the camper in and left it. I figured the propane/CO alarm just needed a reset, as has happened occasionally in the past when the hot water heater was turned on.

Set up the camper in the driveway and reset the propane/CO alarm multiple times with no success. Pulled fuses and still the thing chirped away. The Forest River factory wiring with crimped wire nuts cannot be disconnected without cutting wires. In desperation, I cut the wires to the propane/CO alarm and removed it from the camper. And still there was chirping!

A brighter man than me would have realized that it was the smoke alarm and not the propane/CO alarm. I figured it out only after I had cut the wires to the propane/CO alarm. You all can laugh at me - I deserve it. Of course the smoke alarm battery was dying - the camper was a little over a year old. Replaced the battery and the chirping stopped - just like my home alarms!

Moral of my sad story - yours and my spring/start up maintenance checklist needs to include replacing the smoke alarm battery. Now I get to rewire the propane/CO alarm - and I will probably use terminal blocks to help sort the wiring and facilitate replacement of the propane/CO alarm in a few years - the detector element in the OEM alarm has a maximum 5 year life span from when it is first turned on.

a camper in disgrace
Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time

Old 05-25-2015, 09:45 PM   #2

Thanks for making the mistake and telling us all about it before I had the chance to make the same mistake!

2012 Rockwood A128 (no S)
2016 Ram Outdoorsman 5.7L Hemi 4x4
DanM-AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 11:19 PM   #3
WFD

You may be the first to admit it in this forum but I bet you are not the first to do this!
Old 05-27-2015, 12:14 PM   #4

Funny story. But an easily recoverable SPUT.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 08:21 PM   #5

Suggestion: As part of your prep before winter storage, remove the battery from the smoke detector and any remotes (TV, etc). Some cheaper batteries will burst when frozen, eliminates corroded terminals.
Old 05-27-2015, 09:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgandw View Post
We are selling our house, and moved our furniture out beginning Friday. The A122 setup in the driveway was to be (and is) our "home" for the next week.

Returning from our April trip to Nebraska, I heard occasional chirping from an alarm inside the camper. I didn't get around to checking it out, rather plugged the camper in and left it. I figured the propane/CO alarm just needed a reset, as has happened occasionally in the past when the hot water heater was turned on.

Set up the camper in the driveway and reset the propane/CO alarm multiple times with no success. Pulled fuses and still the thing chirped away. The Forest River factory wiring with crimped wire nuts cannot be disconnected without cutting wires. In desperation, I cut the wires to the propane/CO alarm and removed it from the camper. And still there was chirping!

A brighter man than me would have realized that it was the smoke alarm and not the propane/CO alarm. I figured it out only after I had cut the wires to the propane/CO alarm. You all can laugh at me - I deserve it. Of course the smoke alarm battery was dying - the camper was a little over a year old. Replaced the battery and the chirping stopped - just like my home alarms!

Moral of my sad story - yours and my spring/start up maintenance checklist needs to include replacing the smoke alarm battery. Now I get to rewire the propane/CO alarm - and I will probably use terminal blocks to help sort the wiring and facilitate replacement of the propane/CO alarm in a few years - the detector element in the OEM alarm has a maximum 5 year life span from when it is first turned on.

a camper in disgrace
Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
Fred, be sure and change the hearing aid batteries as well.
Nights camped 2016 = 25
Nights camped 2017 = 13
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 11:15 PM   #7

Love the hearing aid battery comment, by the way! RE: the CO/Propane alarm - from time to time it goes off in our Flagstaff V-Lite. I reset it and it alarms again; very annoying! eventually it resets itself and stops, only to start loudly beeping again. No propane leak that we can find. Nothing burning to cause a CO situation. It seems every trailer we've had has experienced it. And yes, we do bathe regularly.
Old 05-28-2015, 07:41 AM   #8
jkoenig24

If that's the worst mistake you make while RVing, you're a lucky man.
Old 05-28-2015, 07:53 AM   #9
Site Team

Those little fraction of a second chirps are designed to save what's left of
a dieing battery BUT they are just about impossible to locate!!
I once scoured our house and checked/replaced batteries in 3 smoke detectors only to finally discover the noise was my wife's new phone with an un-read text message!!

You are not alone!!
Happy camping!
1999 Suzuki Intruder Motorcycle
Blue Ox WD hitch, AirLift load levelers

Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41,
2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63
KyDan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 08:09 AM   #10

My Alarm Faux pas

I wonder if there is anything in camping trailers that causes as much hassle as those *@#$ alarms. Seems like they've been a problem on every trailer we've had. Most of the problems are associated with the smoke alarm. I know some of you will disagree with it, but I routinely disable the thing.

Kent

kdot is offline   Reply With Quote