Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2013, 01:19 PM   #21

Yes, it is in writing - in the warranty from Ainsworth the company that manufactures the OSB for these units. I dont think you were being negative, jist cautionary. I too do not take the word of some stranger just because they say so.

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:26 PM   #22

Sorry for opening such a bag of worms, Just wasn't expecting to see exposed plywood, even if it is treated. Makes me wonder what my Roo's underbelly will look like when it comes in.

Handbuilder, what part of E. Wash, are you from? I am in Wenatchee.
Grizzlygibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:21 PM   #23

I am in Nine Mile Falls...we get to Wenatchee for their annual dog show (now held in Cashmere)

1967 Newell Motorcoach
Old 01-23-2013, 04:59 PM   #24

The flooring is meant to dry out if it gets wet ... so no undercoating or anything should be applied ...
im with most here .. my build date was 10/10 and it basically looks the same way ... however i do have tubing in some areas to hide some of the wiring ...
we all have to remember that these units are built on a tent trailer chassis ... even tho they are very strong .. its still done like a tent trailer ...
i will probably crawl undernieth the unit this spring and add some reinforcement to the braking wires ... like hamguy did ...

d-mo
Old 01-24-2013, 08:06 AM   #25

i am headed to my local RV service center today, in about a half hour actually, for a final checkup before my trip, want to make sure things like...

the truck/trailer towing setup is ok...
wheel bearings are properly greased,
have em take a look at the wires under the trailer,
i need extended mirrors,
spare refrigerator hatch connectors (those things look fragile),
voyager brake control tutoring,
a good , inexpensive, antenna for the tv,
12v compressor with a long cord for the tires and to blow out the water in the lines before i come north again......

...and anything else they can think of. I trust them totally, they have a great reputation, and the owner is a former student of mine......
Old 01-24-2013, 09:10 AM   #26

How about a torque wrench for your lug nuts you'll want to check periodically on your long drive

1967 Newell Motorcoach
Old 01-24-2013, 12:30 PM   #27

When we picked up our new A126 from Ohio, we too saw the nightmare of wiring. We drove it off the dealers lot and right to a campgrounds, where we were able to get a better look. Not impressed with the sloppy job at all. Hanging wires, wires rubbing against metal frames, loose wires at the hitch. It just wreeked of poor workmanship. So we got home and thus far I have 90% of all exposed wiring covered with 1/2in flex tubing and working on applying the same to the exposed copper tubing. It's not much but, it looks a hell of a lot neater. Gives a little bit added protection. Whatever the price we pay, it's a shame they let their units leave like that.
jmfpanzerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:03 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by handbuilder View Post
How about a torque wrench for your lug nuts you'll want to check periodically on your long drive

Got one the other day, thanks
Old 01-24-2013, 11:10 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmfpanzerman View Post
When we picked up our new A126 from Ohio, we too saw the nightmare of wiring. We drove it off the dealers lot and right to a campgrounds, where we were able to get a better look. Not impressed with the sloppy job at all. Hanging wires, wires rubbing against metal frames, loose wires at the hitch. It just wreeked of poor workmanship. So we got home and thus far I have 90% of all exposed wiring covered with 1/2in flex tubing and working on applying the same to the exposed copper tubing. It's not much but, it looks a hell of a lot neater. Gives a little bit added protection. Whatever the price we pay, it's a shame they let their units leave like that.
The guys at Major's RV here tidied up a bit underneath today, but, not to the extent you did, that will have to wait til it's warmer, maybe when i get down south, maybe this spring. My current concern, is, I was planning on leaving saturday morning, so, i would have saturday and sunday to get below DC and all the weekday northeast city traffic, howeverrrrrr, just after leaving the post office notifying them to hold my mail, I noticed my truck pulling to the left......groan. Stopped by the Toyota dealership where i bought my truck, they can't check the front end alignment til next week, ughhh. So much for plans.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:56 PM   #30

I put plastic wire tubing around all the wire clusters and gas lines underneath, and tied any other wires I saw. Just made me feel better, even if it's wasn't needed.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:13 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderRoad View Post
I put plastic wire tubing around all the wire clusters and gas lines underneath, and tied any other wires I saw. Just made me feel better, even if it's wasn't needed.
I hear that, will do that, for peace of mind........but, its 12 degrees here right now, might have to wait for that, hahah

Good news Toyota dealership said they would look at my alignment problem today, just dropped the truck off........
Old 01-27-2013, 08:24 PM   #32

Ours looked the same.

Ours looked the same when we bought it and with some zip ties and flex loom we made it all tidy. We also put some mud flaps on our A128s so that it would get less wear where the tires throw rocks or what have you.
Bet you can't wait to get it out and have some fun!
mickeylind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:57 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeylind View Post
Ours looked the same when we bought it and with some zip ties and flex loom we made it all tidy. We also put some mud flaps on our A128s so that it would get less wear where the tires throw rocks or what have you.
Bet you can't wait to get it out and have some fun!
I'm having fun already, second day of my trip south
Old 02-02-2013, 05:46 PM   #34
Christian Ham

I have just finished spraying the whole underside with spray on rubber undercoating that I got from Big Lots for $3.. a can.. As an electronics technician with the Navy in my younger years, I was amazed at the hap hazard wiring under my A122.. A lot of the wires are very tightly run and will be subjected to wear going through the holes in the frame.. I am going to put covering on the wires as mice and rabbits love the wire coating and I had major problems with that on a Coachman 23ft RV...I also used many wire ties on the wiring as they are cheap and easy to use..
n4ndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:52 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4ndr View Post
I have just finished spraying the whole underside with spray on rubber undercoating that I got from Big Lots for $3.. a can.. As an electronics technician with the Navy in my younger years, I was amazed at the hap hazard wiring under my A122.. A lot of the wires are very tightly run and will be subjected to wear going through the holes in the frame.. I am going to put covering on the wires as mice and rabbits love the wire coating and I had major problems with that on a Coachman 23ft RV...I also used many wire ties on the wiring as they are cheap and easy to use..
I hope you didn't cover the exposed wood. I know on my pop-up the warranty was voided if the wood was covered.
cstover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:40 AM   #36

I agree from first hand knowledge. Back in 2004 I put a wood sealer on the bottom of the floor of a new camper I bought. Took it in for some warrenty work and was told by the dealer that since I put that sealer on the floor underside, I just voided the warrenty on the floor. Lesson learned.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:13 AM   #37

One word of caution, when the camper is stored, just makes sure it is over a very dry surface. If it was parked on grass, or a surface that would give off moisture, the OSB would absorb that and stay damp. It wouldn't take long for it to turn to mush.
I cannot believe that they would put OSB there. Would it really cost that much to use treated plywood?
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:56 AM   #38

This issue seems to come up quite a bit. The floor is not typical OSB like you'd buy for residential user it is engineered for an outdoor environment. It is unfortunate these misconceptions continue to prosper. Please research before pursuing drastic actions tat can not only limit your warranty but also actually shorten the lifespan on the products you're trying to protect.

Anyone considering undercoating their aframe, please contact the manufacturer directly and inquire as to the warranty issues. Last I knew the a frames were using Weyerhauser Structurwood which is a top notch product, it is not the OSB you remember from 25 years ago.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:59 AM   #39

I hope you did not cover the wood as well. I had a 1997 popup that was stored on a gravel lot and the wood showed no signs of rot. The wood they use is exterior grade so it is very resistant to water damage. I have a small utility trailer with exterior grade plywood that has sat outside for 13 years and is now only showing signs of rot in the corners were the water could run between the plywood layers.

Current: 2019 Sunseeker 2290S
Previous (2012-2016): 2012 Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe, 2 Mtn. Bikes & 4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:04 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawlus View Post
This issue seems to come up quite a bit. The floor is not typical OSB like you'd buy for residential user it is engineered for an outdoor environment. It is unfortunate these misconceptions continue to prosper. Please research before pursuing drastic actions tat can not only limit your warranty but also actually shorten the lifespan on the products you're trying to protect.

Anyone considering undercoating their aframe, please contact the manufacturer directly and inquire as to the warranty issues. Last I knew the a frames were using Weyerhauser Structurwood which is a top notch product, it is not the OSB you remember from 25 years ago.
The Structurwood product is indeed superior to the old garbage OSB, but it still does't like moisture. It is intended for houses, not environments exposed to moisture.
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a122