Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2014, 04:55 PM   #1

My First Question?

Here's my first question of probably many. I bought a bass boat once and backed it up to my garage and to my surprise it was too wide to fit...the trailer part anyway...so for the next 15 years I've been paying for boat storage.

Now that I'm getting ready to buy a new Aframe has anyone actually tried to fit either a T12DDST or a 122S inside of a two car garage with two garage doors...not one single door but two single doors. I know the dimensions the booklet says but????? I can't afford another surprise.

Thanks

David
mlsa3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 05:04 PM   #2
Site Team

While I can't answer your question I would suggest not taking the word of the sales person if possible. I usually take their answers with a grain of salt until I can actually verify.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 05:05 PM   #3

I took a tape to the dealer and measured. I remember that the factory spec were on for mind but it is different then what you are looking at.
1A Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 06:49 PM   #4
Retread Popup Owner

If I remember right, you have a dealer close by your house. I agree with 1A Camper. I'd take a tape to the dealer and measure.

Camping Photos
Camper Mods
Wojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 05:39 PM   #5
KnG

We measured the garage before we bought anything, needed to make sure both the Aframe and Durango would fit in our garage! But we do have a double door on our three car garage! We did not even try to fit the trailer in the single door side! I can measure for you when I get home if you would like.

Nights Camped 2
KnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 06:46 PM   #6

Measuring your door & the camper would be the best idea some two car garages have 8' wide doors others have 9' wide doors.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 09:02 PM   #7

Thanks for the response. I measured my garage today....8' wide doors...19' long...I know the brochure says the camper is 18'11"...gonna be close but I think doable.

Maybe I can put a bubble window in my garage door like the camper has...that should give me plenty of room. LOL

David
Old 01-11-2014, 12:05 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlsa3 View Post
Thanks for the response. I measured my garage today....8' wide doors...19' long...I know the brochure says the camper is 18'11"...gonna be close but I think doable.

Maybe I can put a bubble window in my garage door like the camper has...that should give me plenty of room. LOL

David
Here's my two cents worth - 18'11 vs 19' is no match. I do recommend measuring the unit in person to verify and measuring the garage again while looking for hidden surprises. If its like other stuff in life there bound to be something that takes up a little more room than was accounted for. That 1/2 inch doesn't allow much wiggle room at all.

For example:
Not RV related but a family member brought a new house and he measured the opening for the fridge. It fit into the space but the problem was with one of the door handles. His wife can't open the door all the way because the handle hits the wall.

Old 01-11-2014, 08:52 AM   #9

Just get the A122 instead and leave out the front bin?... It's 17'1" instead of 18'11"
I personally don't think it would be much compromise but everyone is different. I wouldn't want the front bin and wouldn't use it. I prefer the smaller overall size (we keep ours inside a storage unit) plus less tongue weight.
Old 01-11-2014, 08:55 AM   #10

Ironically, when I was looking for my current house I actually put "two car garage or better with one wide door" at the top of my "must have" list. Funny that the garage is so important but that's just the way it is. I'm positive that helps your situation too!
Old 01-11-2014, 09:34 AM   #11
Retread Popup Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawlus View Post
I wouldn't want the front bin and wouldn't use it. I prefer the smaller overall size (we keep ours inside a storage unit) plus less tongue weight.
This is why manufacturers give us options. I am just the opposite, and wouldn't be without the front storage trunk. Still, if getting it without the trunk gets it inside the garage...then I might consider it. My wife would probably have to listen to me bemoan my lack of a storage trunk for years and years, though.

Camping Photos
Camper Mods
Wojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 10:56 AM   #12

Our T12RBST fits "rather precisely" in our garage.

Things to consider: The edge of your garage door is usually a foot or two narrower than the garage itself, while you might have the total width to "fit" your camper and SUV, remember that you still want/ need to be able to get access to the sides of the trailer. In addition, if you want to actually open the A frame inside the garage, be aware of where your garage door opener motor and rails sit and whether you have the width and height for the trailer peak. When in position and open, the side of ours clears the garage door opener motor by less than 3 inches.
Length-wise, the spare tire on ours protrudes more than the bumper. When we park it, we have to drop it off the TV, and jockey it so that its perfectly square to the back wall of the garage, then lower the nose of the trailer some so that the rear bumper better hugs the wall. At that point, except for one bracket on the garage door we have an inch from trailer tongue to the garage door- when that bracket passes the tongue, I just press out on the door a bit until it clears...

It is a bit of a pain to get the trailer so precisely located, but definitely worth it to have it stored indoors, so add me to the folks encouraging you to measure twice, and don't forget the height of the peak should you want to open it up ( I keep mine open and vented )
Weehaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 11:09 AM   #13

We've measured multiple times to see if ours would fit inside the 3 car garage. It could fit on one side but we wouldnt be able to pop it up AND the bumper would be too close to the man door to comfortably pass by. That is how ours ended up hibernating in the shop.

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 11:20 AM   #14

Don't forget to measure garage door handles and hardware when measuring. My F-350 only has an inch in front and an inch behind when in the garage. And 4 inches either side of the doorway for the wide hips! Precision parking for sure!

2012 Cedar Creek 36CKTS Touring Edition
2015 Ford F-350 CC DRW Lariat
Joe_GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 11:36 AM   #15

Joe, that need for precision is exactly why our trailer ISNT parked in the garage. That is some studly parking on the F350! My truck stays on the drive but my SUV fits just right considering the freezer, equipment shelves and other "stuff" packed inside the garage. I never realized the lack of depth until we tried parking the trucks and trailers in there.

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 01:20 PM   #16

I am all about minimizing fuss. That is why I sold a perfectly good tent trailer and bought an a-frame in the first place.

While I like my front storage trunk, it is an option just like parking in the garage is, so pick which one is more important. Once inside the garage if you have trouble with the door opener and hardware, remove the stuff. Openers are most helpful for getting inside without going out into the rain. With the shorter trailer, you will have room to walk around and won't need to open the door often.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 02:34 PM   #17

Now isn't this fun? LOL. Again thanks for all the responses. I really think I would like to have the front storage. That would be where I carry my ez-up and small items. Can only have a trailer of any kind or boat in my driveway for a maximum of 3 days at a time. Really probably wouldn't be setting it up inside...can always pull it outside on the driveway when I wanted to do something to it.

I'm in the process of replanning my retirement now that I'm retired. Things I thought I would be doing are going by the wayside due to physical problems for me and the wife. The camper is the replacement. We both love to camp. I'm in the process of selling my boat so if push came to shove I have a rental stall that is plenty large enough for the camper...after I get rid of the boat. I could also rent an outside lane at the same storage facility (it has security gates and such) but I prefer not leaving it outdoors.

David
Old 01-11-2014, 03:14 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlsa3 View Post
Now isn't this fun? LOL. Again thanks for all the responses. I really think I would like to have the front storage. That would be where I carry my ez-up and small items. Can only have a trailer of any kind or boat in my driveway for a maximum of 3 days at a time. Really probably wouldn't be setting it up inside...can always pull it outside on the driveway when I wanted to do something to it.

I'm in the process of replanning my retirement now that I'm retired. Things I thought I would be doing are going by the wayside due to physical problems for me and the wife. The camper is the replacement. We both love to camp. I'm in the process of selling my boat so if push came to shove I have a rental stall that is plenty large enough for the camper...after I get rid of the boat. I could also rent an outside lane at the same storage facility (it has security gates and such) but I prefer not leaving it outdoors.

David
It can't hurt to consider other options if the front storage is a "Must have" item. Some of our members have built storage units to store their RVs. Some of the photos shared are pretty impressive. I wish this was an option for me but even with cost aside it's not.

Old 01-11-2014, 07:52 PM   #19

I carry the easy up in the trailer, on top of the dinette cushions or on the floor. Small items go I the drawer in the rear storage area. The other two storage areas hold stuff too. Keep in mind, the thing with the A frames is, it's only 30 seconds to of it up and most of that time is un latching the sides, so storing something inside the camper is not the issue it would be with a tent popup.
Old 01-12-2014, 08:57 AM   #20

I understand where you are coming from with this. It is good you are working through the options now.

There is a surprising amount of storage inside the camper. The tops of the dinettes/beds have more room than you need. When I pack up to go, I pack gear in the camper, not my TV. OTOH, is is nice to have the front trunk for times you don't want to deploy the EZUp and to keep other item (like a grill) secure while not in use. Depending on your health problems and lifting abilities, getting a heavy EZUp out of the rather high lipped trunk, might be a concern too.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote