Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2016, 07:39 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Pasadena, Texas
Posts: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy52 View Post
any advice for a first time buyer of an A frame trailer. I am thinking about purchasing one.
I love our aframe camper. For the type of camping my wife and I do it's perfect. We camped in tents for years and years. We usually camp for a weekend or even an overnighter at times. Once a year I do spend a week in mine at a Dulcimer Music Festival. Works perfect.

I hope this year we can start doing some traveling with ours and do more week long camping.

I can put the walls up in about 45 seconds. I'm a bit slow. When my wife is with me she likes for both sides to have the tables up. She gets one side and I get the other and then at nighttime we make them both into beds. When I'm by myself which is most of the time I just put one table up and leave the other into a bed.

We've never used our stove although I do turn it on usually to make sure it still works. We do all our cooking outside. We don't use our furnace although I again turn it on to make sure it works. We run a small ceramic heater and it heats it up perfectly. We DO run the air conditioner during the summer.

It tows great. With my Durango I got almost 19 miles per gallon on this last trip. I kept the speed down to 70 or below. Can't beat that for mileage.

If I was going to spend weeks and weeks on the road camping then I would probably go with a 5th wheel but for now the Aframe is perfect for us.

David
__________________

__________________
Tow Vehicle: 2012 Durango 3.6 Pentastar Engine
Purchased 2013 A128S 01-15-14
Total nights camping 2014-(10)
Total Nights Camping 2015-(9)
Total Nights Camping 2016-(5)
Total Nights Camping 2017-(4)
mlsa3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 02:20 PM   #12
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 10
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaviva7 View Post
We love our A-Frame as it makes you feel more secure because it's more closed in than the openness of a popup. Not that we didn't love our popup it took more work to put up and take down. The time it takes to set up the aframe takes seconds to a minute. Takes more time to do the stabilizers than opening the aframe. Plus the advantage of having this kind of popup is you are traveling down the road with less wind resistance in passing 18 wheelers, and driving in high wind. It is a dream to pull. Another advantage that we love is we now stay in RV parks when just staying over night somewhere on our way to someplace and don't even need to unhitch from our towing vehicle. Though the cons in owning one is less storage space but you learn to live with less. I'm okay with less as you don't have so much to pack up. You learn to improvise. Hope this helps. I'll share a picture of ours too. Oh the tow weight for our particular trailer is empty GVW 2670 or something like that. Attachment 98310
Thanks for the information and photo. This is a great help.
Can you park your A frame in your garage?
If you make the table into a bed is it roomy enough and comfortable for an adult to sleep on it?
Thanks, Zig
__________________

__________________
ziggy52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 05:38 PM   #13
Member
 
chaviva7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy52 View Post
Thanks for the information and photo. This is a great help.
Can you park your A frame in your garage?
If you make the table into a bed is it roomy enough and comfortable for an adult to sleep on it?
Thanks, Zig

This particular A-Frame 214 has a longer box (14 ft) because of the dormer total length is 21 feet. Doubtful it would fit in most garages. It's a 2016. But the other HIgh Walls are 12ft boxes and I believe the total length is 18 feet. Like the 192 or 194. The 194 is one we had that we traded for the 214 has a horse shoe shaped dinette that converts to a bed and has a shower/potty. We kept the dinette as a permanent bed. But the 194 HW has a dinette and a permanent bed that's a full size bed. Storage in any of these varies. I loved how much I had with the 194 compared to my popup. We added a 3 inch memory foam for the bed and slept quite comfy. The downsize to this A-Frame is it sleeps just 2. The 192 HW sleeps 3 with dinette converting to a bed. Here are some pictures of the inside of the 194 HW. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1453761375.758710.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	159.3 KB
ID:	98371Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1453761410.643877.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	268.2 KB
ID:	98372Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1453761432.794724.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	98373Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1453761477.114211.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	98374Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1453761527.496696.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	98375
__________________
chaviva7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 06:07 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Pasadena, Texas
Posts: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy52 View Post
Thanks for the information and photo. This is a great help.
Can you park your A frame in your garage?
If you make the table into a bed is it roomy enough and comfortable for an adult to sleep on it?
Thanks, Zig

I kept my A128S in my double garage for the first year. It fit except for about 10" of the tongue. I couldn't push it any further in because we have a door it would be blocking so we wouldn't be able to enter the garage from the house.

Yes, the beds are easily big enough for one person...in fact you can sleep two in them unless you are really big. As far as being comfortable my wife ordered a piece of memory foam for her bed and I just put some egg crate foam on my side...works great. (We both toss and turn at night and keep each other awake so we have to have seperate beds.)

David
__________________
Tow Vehicle: 2012 Durango 3.6 Pentastar Engine
Purchased 2013 A128S 01-15-14
Total nights camping 2014-(10)
Total Nights Camping 2015-(9)
Total Nights Camping 2016-(5)
Total Nights Camping 2017-(4)
mlsa3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 10:27 AM   #15
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlsa3 View Post
I kept my A128S in my double garage for the first year. It fit except for about 10" of the tongue. I couldn't push it any further in because we have a door it would be blocking so we wouldn't be able to enter the garage from the house.

Yes, the beds are easily big enough for one person...in fact you can sleep two in them unless you are really big. As far as being comfortable my wife ordered a piece of memory foam for her bed and I just put some egg crate foam on my side...works great. (We both toss and turn at night and keep each other awake so we have to have seperate beds.)

David
Thanks for info that is very helpful.
__________________
ziggy52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 10:30 AM   #16
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaviva7 View Post
This particular A-Frame 214 has a longer box (14 ft) because of the dormer total length is 21 feet. Doubtful it would fit in most garages. It's a 2016. But the other HIgh Walls are 12ft boxes and I believe the total length is 18 feet. Like the 192 or 194. The 194 is one we had that we traded for the 214 has a horse shoe shaped dinette that converts to a bed and has a shower/potty. We kept the dinette as a permanent bed. But the 194 HW has a dinette and a permanent bed that's a full size bed. Storage in any of these varies. I loved how much I had with the 194 compared to my popup. We added a 3 inch memory foam for the bed and slept quite comfy. The downsize to this A-Frame is it sleeps just 2. The 192 HW sleeps 3 with dinette converting to a bed. Here are some pictures of the inside of the 194 HW. Attachment 98371Attachment 98372Attachment 98373Attachment 98374Attachment 98375
Thanks for the photos and your information. I am trending more towards the one with the full bed and no bathroom.
__________________
ziggy52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 10:37 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
tmfaulksr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Vermilion Parish, LOUISIANA
Posts: 329
thanks for sharing.
from abbeville, this is not too far for multiple day camping
it looks great
__________________
the faulks & prince
2012 Nissan Titan CC
Roadmaster Active Suspension, Firestone Airbags
2015 Rockwood 8289WS Diamond Pkg
2015 Puma 253FBS (sold)
2013 BMW R1200GSW
tmfaulksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 11:05 AM   #18
Member
 
chaviva7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy52 View Post
Thanks for the photos and your information. I am trending more towards the one with the full bed and no bathroom.

Ziggy - the ones with no shower combo come standard with porta potty for those late night urges.
__________________
chaviva7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 07:54 PM   #19
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 2
A few pics from our first camping trip of the season. Monongahela National forest in WV. My DH (kinnikinnick to you guys) caught several trout while we were there.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1458431590.411306.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	102365Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1458431608.609367.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	102366Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1458431645.630563.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	102367
__________________
Hobiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 09:36 PM   #20
Member
 
Mountain Girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 78
Hobiegirl...love your campsite and fish!!! The are where you camped looks very much like where we live and camp most of the time in the Smoky Mts. Have fun!!!
__________________

__________________
Mountain Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:00 AM.