Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2013, 09:42 AM   #21

Tom, the small sized Miracle Mat fits perfect in the entry & it is flat (so you'd be able to open the inside-the-door entry storage cabinet) & has that microfiber technology to capture dirt off the feet and holds liquids. I put my wet shoes on it when I come in out of rain. (The demo at Costco sold me) haha I saw these for sale at BBB when I was there the other day.

Great to hear you are oit enjoying the new trailer. Hope the adjustment from your Coleman hasnt been too painful!

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:59 AM   #22

Is that the same as the mat in this link

The 20X30 regular size is $59. Ouch. It must be a great mat for that price compared to ~$5 at HD.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:09 AM   #23

Thats the mat, but I only paid 25- at Costco. Yes - they are awesome carpets!

Try www.pizazzdirect.com - theyre only 25- there...but still more than 5-. Watch the video on the site - that was the same type of demo I saw at Costco in person. The guy even let ME step in the dirty mud water and walk on the carpet. It was awesome! haha

1967 Newell Motorcoach
Old 06-19-2013, 10:19 AM   #24

I'll see if my bud with a Costco membership can take me shopping.

2012 Rockwood A122S

Old 06-19-2013, 10:33 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooneil View Post
I'll see if my bud with a Costco membership can take me shopping.
Just tell your friend to get you a gift card and you could use it anytime in Costco without your friend. I use to be a member but don't go often enough, this way I save the membership fee.
ko777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:45 AM   #26

I think this is a seasonal item - have only seen it at Costco in April, last year and this year. You might call them to see if your area Costco carries them in stock...otherwise maybe just order from Pizazz or try Bed Bath & Beyond.

Yeah Ko, we shop Costco regularly & always get an annual check back for more than the membership fee paid...but I buy dog food, sport drinks and frequently used disposables (batteries, tp, garden dirt/amendments, etc) cant beat the cost of vitamins an other OTC stuff.

1967 Newell Motorcoach
Old 06-19-2013, 04:30 PM   #27

I just loaded up everything except my cooler. Boy is that easy. She opens up so easily and there is more room than I dreamed possible. I have two tent campers traveling with me who will have plenty of stuff, so I wanted to leave room in the truck for them. The space on top of the dinette and seats is great. I love having external hatches to the interior compartments.

I was worried about packing too much, but there is more room than I can find stuff to put there, right now. I still need to put some jugs of ice in the fridge so we'll see what more I can find tonight.

2012 Rockwood A122S

Old 06-19-2013, 04:52 PM   #28

One more thing. I cannot find a single 12V outlet in the trailer. Is that typical or am I just special? There is not one near the converter or around the microwave cabinet. It looks like I have to get busy on my electrical mods next week.

2012 Rockwood A122S

Old 06-19-2013, 05:16 PM   #29

Yeah,
No 12v outlet from the factory. An easy mod if you decide you need it. If you dry camp a lot I can see the need. I've been thinking of it but have only dry camped twice now so it hasn't been high on my list.
Reese 66065 WDH, Curt WDH Shank #17120
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Mopar 7-pin Harness
B&M Transmission Cooler (#70268)
Jeep4Two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 05:30 PM   #30

Thanks. I'll probably put one with the cable/antenna jack just below the microwave. My old trailer had a combo outlet. The main thing is to have a place to plug in a 12V fan at night. I can do that and put a kill switch on the radio at the same time to stop the parasitic draw when dry camping.

2012 Rockwood A122S

Old 06-19-2013, 07:54 PM   #31
Mostly Harmless

I just put in a 12v outlet on the side of the microwave cabinet for my new Endless Breeze fan. That location is close to the door so I can use the fan outdoors too.
2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 04:27 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehamguy1 View Post
I just put in a 12v outlet on the side of the microwave cabinet for my new Endless Breeze fan. That location is close to the door so I can use the fan outdoors too.
Can you say more about how you installed the 12v outlet. Did you run wire directly from the positive battery terminal? If so, where did you run the wiring? I was thinking about running 14 gauge zip cord with 15 amp fuses directly from the battery and terminated with 15 amp Anderson Powerpoles. I operate VHF/UHF radios for the local ACS and ARES/RACES so I have all the parts and tools. On the other hand, I have no experience modifying RV wiring so I was going to fall back on what I did know. Thanks!
2013 Rockwood A122S
elmonsanto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 05:04 PM   #33
Mostly Harmless

I did it a quick 'n dirty way, I'm afraid. I just paralelled the power wires running to the factory radio. That wiring isn't substantial enough to run my Yaesu dual-band rig, I'm sure. You could open up the left dinette seat and tap into the wires from the battery as they enter the converter but then your rig's load would be added to the rest of the camper's load going through the external (main) fuse. That's going the long way around the barn to say I think the situation you proposed is good: heavy-duty wiring with its own fuse, directly to the battery. I think 14 gauge is right, so you don't starve your rig on the high-power setting. You'll likely have to drill one or more holes thru the floor to run the wires; be sure to caulk them afterwards.

You might think about installing a 12v terminal strip under a seat somewhere so you'll have a high-amperage access point with its own fuse for future mods. I need to do that myself. I believe daveinpickering did just that, and has a YouTube video showing it.
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
Old 06-20-2013, 05:19 PM   #34

i fused a 12 volt outlet to my exterior light system, going through the fire extingisher back box ... and also use an endless breeze fan ... works great for me .. as the endless breeze only uses minimal amps.

d-mo
Old 06-20-2013, 05:23 PM   #35
Mostly Harmless

I got my fan on your recommendation from a couple years back, D-mo.
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
Old 06-21-2013, 07:29 PM   #36

I bought nice marine grade 12v sockets in amazon to install one if these days, both a regular cig plus as well as a dual USB plug. They are nice quality....

Blue Sea Dual USB Charger Socket

Blue Sea 1011 12V DC socket

I will probably run a common hot lead from the battery and then off of the use a blue sea 6-slot marine fuse block and run the accessories off of that.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:35 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmonsanto View Post
Can you say more about how you installed the 12v outlet. Did you run wire directly from the positive battery terminal? If so, where did you run the wiring? I was thinking about running 14 gauge zip cord with 15 amp fuses directly from the battery and terminated with 15 amp Anderson Powerpoles. I operate VHF/UHF radios for the local ACS and ARES/RACES so I have all the parts and tools. On the other hand, I have no experience modifying RV wiring so I was going to fall back on what I did know. Thanks!

One of the best places to pick up 12V is from the fridge. It works well because the fridge is on its own fuse, with no other draws and will never be used on 12V while the camper is occupied. On mine, a wire from the fridge can be run through the cabinetry to anywhere except the front right bench seat, without putting a hole in the floor.

2012 Rockwood A122S

Old 06-23-2013, 09:25 PM   #38

Carly is back from her voyage. She did very well. As experienced on the drive home, she tows with absolutely no drama. No wiggling or tugging the truck around.

We drove straight through to Lampasas, filled up for gas and headed out to the park, getting there with a fair about of sunlight available. I backed her in and set my Bal and chocks and unhitched. After helping the two passengers unload gear from the bed of the truck, I quickly leveled and stabilized her, then popped the top and folded the side up. Since the day was so hot, I opened all the windows and started the fan. The camper immediately started to cool down.

When I stepped back out the passengers were still pondering how to set up the first tent. So it was over to help them. Both were new to our group, one had never camped before, much less set up a tent, the other was a novice camper with a brand new tent. After getting the complicated poles on the REI tent set, I went back to my work of setting up camp (stove, chairs and lights etc.), which was completed before the other had finished loading gear in their tents. So right there, I had what I wanted, a quick setup and comfortable living. It beats my old pop up anytime. The fridge ran on gas the whole way and kept the contents cool for the weekend. I want to put a thermometer in there before I will fully trust it with food.

Sleeping was great because it cooled at night. I found that if the window at the head of the bed is open the fan draws a great breeze in.When combined with my battery operated fan, it was tolerably cool inside moving to sleeping bag cool as the night progressed.

Everyone of course wanted to come in for a tour, which was fun. The greatest benefit came when several people were opening wine bottles after our 10 mile hike and the ranger came over and told us to put it away. Thereafter, the wine was open and kept on the table just inside the door and we slipped over to fill our a glasses.

This morning, I kept getting sidetracked by people coming by for coffee. I love French Press coffee, but it is a time consuming way to make coffee for a group. Next time I volunteer to make coffee for a group, it will get a drip maker and and extra server. So striking camp took longer than usual but when it came to closing up the camper, It was just positioning thing on the floor, shutting the top, drilling up the stabilizers and "deleveling." No time at all.

It was a great all around trip. But there were two problems with the camper. First the roof ridge seal started coming off while I was packing and was dislodged even more by the several time I raised the top this weekend.

Second, after hitching up, I discovered that I cannot drop the tailgate on my truck with the camper is hitched. Because the tailgate hits the jack. It makes loading the truck a real pain, requiring holding the gate while someone else lifts a heavy cooler over the raised lip. Then closing the gate and climbing on the bumper to position the cooler. I find it odd that Forest River hasn't figured out not to build campers that can block a tailgate.

The solution for the first, I fear is a trip back to the dealer in Waller. The second problem may require the use of a swing up jack.

I think I will buy a second trunk lid support. My hitching routine starts and finishes on the the drivers side. I want to close the lid, latch the drivers side, then do my walk around and latch the right before getting into the car.

2012 Rockwood A122S

Old 06-23-2013, 10:38 PM   #39
Mostly Harmless

The clearance between the jack and my tailgate (when down) is about half an inch, and only when the whole unit is straight. I think the only reason I have that much clearance is that the ball mount sticks out of the hitch receiver about three inches more than it needs to. So maybe you could look for a slightly longer ball mount-?
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
Old 06-23-2013, 10:40 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooneil View Post
One of the best places to pick up 12V is from the fridge. It works well because the fridge is on its own fuse, with no other draws and will never be used on 12V while the camper is occupied. On mine, a wire from the fridge can be run through the cabinetry to anywhere except the front right bench seat, without putting a hole in the floor.
This is just what I need. I now have a very basic electrical question. What is the correct way to connect my new wire to the wire going to the fridge? Thanks!
2013 Rockwood A122S
elmonsanto is offline   Reply With Quote