Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2018, 12:47 PM   #21

51# weight of my WDH head
26# weight of my two load leveling bars
So 77# for the WDH overall.

I think when discussing trailer hitch weight, the actual weight of the hitch should NOT be included. It's weight has no bearing on trailer stability.
When discussing TV cargo carrying capacity (CCC), or TV rear axle load capacity, then the WDH's weigh must be taken into consideration.

Yes, the weight of WDHs sucks, but that's the price of solid cast steel, needed for levering the heavy TT's weight forward on the TV.
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 09:33 PM   #22

I tow with a Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit which has the tow and auto leveling package. The auto leveling is basically a complex (and expensive) airbag system on all four corners. The trailer is a A-frame that has a dry weight of 1950 lbs. My guess when fully loaded it is probably more like 2600 lbs. When hitched to the vehicle, the trailer and vehicle are nice and level. No sag at all. The trailer tows reasonably well. However at 70mph or above things feel a bit squirrelly, so I slow down 65mph. I can't visibly see any sway, but there must be some to have that squirrelly feeling. Also the ride is generally quite smooth, except when going over some bridges and a bit of a porpoise effect sometimes starts. I am wondering if a WDH with sway control would take care of these issues.
Old 07-13-2018, 01:13 AM   #23
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alben View Post
I tow with a Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit which has the tow and auto leveling package. The auto leveling is basically a complex (and expensive) airbag system on all four corners. The trailer is a A-frame that has a dry weight of 1950 lbs. My guess when fully loaded it is probably more like 2600 lbs. When hitched to the vehicle, the trailer and vehicle are nice and level. No sag at all. The trailer tows reasonably well. However at 70mph or above things feel a bit squirrelly, so I slow down 65mph. I can't visibly see any sway, but there must be some to have that squirrelly feeling. Also the ride is generally quite smooth, except when going over some bridges and a bit of a porpoise effect sometimes starts. I am wondering if a WDH with sway control would take care of these issues.
It will help, but you still need to keep your speed at or below 65 mph...

That is the fastest speed those tire are rated for...probably says that on the sidewall.
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 01:15 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerweps View Post
I think when discussing trailer hitch weight, the actual weight of the hitch should NOT be included. It's weight has no bearing on trailer stability.
It does however count towards the payload which is what the OP is asking about I thought.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 07:28 AM   #25

I had a Curt 17501 WDH on my set-up but took it off. The head alone has to weigh close to 75# and it extended out too far behind the receiver making my electrical and emergency brake cables too short. (it's brand new and for sale if anyone is looking for one).

I want something easy to to hook up and disconnect when going to and from my campsites and haven't found that yet that doesn't break the bank.

I read a lot about the Anderson hitches but don't want to plop down $520 right now just to save the weight of the hitch. I tow my A122THESP with a 2004 Chevy Trailblazer and notice no sway at all however, the rear of my TV does squat a bit more than the front.
p40whk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 12:18 PM   #26
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by p40whk View Post
I had a Curt 17501 WDH on my set-up but took it off. The head alone has to weigh close to 75# and it extended out too far behind the receiver making my electrical and emergency brake cables too short. (it's brand new and for sale if anyone is looking for one).

I want something easy to to hook up and disconnect when going to and from my campsites and haven't found that yet that doesn't break the bank.

I read a lot about the Anderson hitches but don't want to plop down $520 right now just to save the weight of the hitch. I tow my A122THESP with a 2004 Chevy Trailblazer and notice no sway at all however, the rear of my TV does squat a bit more than the front.
Not sure why everyone whines about 75 pounds for their WD hitch setup?

If these things weighed 10 pounds they'd break as soon as you hitch up to them.

Much easier and less expensive to replace the cable and pigtail than to get a whole new WDH setup.

I'm surprised that whoever installed your hitch didn't do that for you.

That emergency brake cable is $10 or less and the pigtail probably under $100 installed!

Funny...

On my 5'ver, the day I picked it up from the dealership I complained that the pigtail was too long...

My sales guy and the service guy both said that it was standard length!

Well, as I was backing it into my yard after one of the first trips made with it the pigtail got caught on the receiver hitch opening on the back of my truck and yanked right out of the king pin!

Blew a whole bunch of fuses under the hood of my truck plus several in the trailer and the whole rig was dead in the water (ie.- truck blocking half of my street) until I figured out all of the fuses I needed and a trip to the neighborhood Advanced Auto Store!

Needless to say...it is now 10 inches shorter, no thanks to my dealership!
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 12:32 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
Not sure why everyone whines about 75 pounds for their WD hitch setup?
John, I had a similar problem on my first trip with the WDH and was stuck in the street until I took it off and just put the regular ball on. I had to carry that 75# hitch head a half a block back to my house because I was already packed with too much gear for it to fit elsewhere. I tried making it work and taking it off and on a few times I got tired of the weight of the thing so I went without it.

If it would have been at the end of my trip rather than the beginning I might have not been so frustrated with it.

That hitch is way to much for my setup but I got a good deal on it so I bought it. probably need something much smaller than this and I'm sure the weight would be less.
p40whk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 06:55 AM   #28

I love my Andersen WDH. Weight was a huge consideration, as was the sway control. Not having to deal with the bars was another deciding factor. She who must be obeyed enthusiastically approved the change from a traditional WDH.
Past: 2018 Flagstaff MicroLite 21FBRS
Past: 2005 Flagstaff Classic 625D
TV: 2016 Ford F-150 3.5 EcoBoost
marinerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch, weight, weight distribution hitch