Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2015, 07:21 AM   #1

Smile Need storage ideas, please

My husband and I just bought our first camper - an A122 A Frame. We love it, but already are learning we need to reevaluate storage. The underbed storage is not convenient for frequent access, so looking for other creative ways to store our stuff when camping. Please help!! Thanks!
Nettiejdear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 07:58 AM   #2

You can buy some inexpensive light weight self standing multi-level shelve units that can rest over the sink and cooktop or over the microwave area. Most home improvement stores have lots of choices. Then buy some plastic bins to hold items on the shelves.
2008 Toyota Sequoia 2WD
Big Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 08:00 AM   #3

I just watched a video that showed the inside of the camper. There is not a lot of room to add additional storage. One thing that my husband did when we had a pop-up was to build a shelving unit that broke apart. He made it so it would fit together by sliding in the shelves and sides so it was free standing. We had about 5 shelves, which allowed one shelf area per person in our family. We stored our clothing in it, but you could use it for pantry or kitchen items. Is there storage under your dinette benches? We use plastic bins to store things in our trailer. You can close them with the lids and stack on on top of the other. Keep like items in the bins and you can pull them out as needed. You may also think about making a little rolling island that allows for storage underneath and a counter top on top that would give you more prep space when cooking or serving food. I also used a three-tiered hanging fruit basket. They are made of metal and have three baskets hooked together by chains. You could hang it over the sink area and store any number of things in it, such as napkins, salt and pepper, paper plates and cups, or fruit/veggies. On Pinterest I saw that someone used a canvas shoe storage unit. They cut it in strips, sewed the ends together, then attached it to the outside of the wooden bed frame. You can store shoes or other items in the pockets. The bedspread covers it so you cannot see it. You might also use a pretty serving tray or box on the table to keep your cell phones, tablets, books, etc. in one central spot. If you are on Pinterest, you can search for RV storage ideas and get a lot more ideas. Good luck with it!

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 01:44 PM   #4

Here is another thread to look at http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ion-47833.html
1A Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 01:55 PM   #5

I got this idea from Pinterest for my pop up using two curtain rods so you can adjust the high according to the headroom you have in your camper. worked well for us adding two shelves.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150620_143009.jpg
Views:	393
Size:	356.0 KB
ID:	82368  
Paul Maple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 10:29 AM   #6

Here is a pic of the added hanging shelves, not pretty but practical, I use a x strap ratchet across the sides front and back, attached to both ends of the roof lock. This is very useful for hanging shelves and clothes:

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1436455678.750569.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	82449
ko777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 02:37 PM   #7

My brilliant wife came up with these ideas:
The shelves are available at Home Depot. They are height-adjustable so we set them up to allow space for our small convection oven on top of the microwave cabinet. They're stable because we used the end caps (that were intended to protect the uprights during shipment and were intended to be thrown away) as "bases" for each leg. We then use a small bungee at the top to connect to a shower curtain rod that extends across the width of the a-frame. In addition to giving us a place to hang towels and jackets, this rod also serves to stabilize a shelf made of similar white wire mesh that is mounted length-wise above the sink/stove.

If you'd like details, I could take some better photos etc.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3103.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	280.6 KB
ID:	82467   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3104.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	192.5 KB
ID:	82468   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3099.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	303.1 KB
ID:	82469   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3101.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	356.5 KB
ID:	82471  
mherte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 04:53 PM   #8

Take a look at the problem from a different perspective. Reducing what we are storing, and organizing what's left to how we camp was our methodology. We selected the smaller A-frame to a) fit in the garage, and b) be as simple and quick to set up and take down as possible.

From our PUP days, we knew that every bit of unneeded stuff taken with us adds to setup time and/or makes limited storage more difficult to manage. For our first 4 trips we kept a written list of stuff we wanted/needed but we did not have with us. That turned out to be a very short list. At the end of each of the 1st 4 trips, we went through the camper and made a list of things we did not use (a much longer list).

Things we took out of the camper because we did not use them and did not foresee using them:

- RVque. Didn't like putting it up against the camper side, and didn't like the thing itself. Primary cooking is Coleman-like 2 burner stove. Will probably get a portable Weber to carry with us eventually (we do like to barbecue).

- portapotty. We use campground facilities. Tying up the very limited floor and storage space with a personal portapotty didn't make sense to our camping style.

- kitchen and dining. Started out with 2 sets of service for 2 - plates, cups, bowls, silver, etc. Switched to paper, with one set for emergencies. Figured out our dish washing needs - 2 tubs, 1 small dish drainer (we cook and clean at picnic table). Cooking is 1 fry pan, 1 camping griddle, and 2 pots (nesting) plus a few utensils. All kitchen and dining supplies go under dinette seat. Added latch to hold dinette seat in up position for easy access. Moving cushions is still somewhat of an issue.

- blankets, towels, sheets, pillows, mattress topper(s) remain in camper on bed/dinette except for washing after a trip.

- all stuff to setup camper (chocks, box of lego blocks, level, tongue jack wheel, electrical cable, extension cord, water hose, provided wrench for stabilizers, gray water adaptor and hose) go in under bed, but reachable from right rear access door.

- stuff that is too big to come through right rear access door goes in forward portion under bed - gray water bucket, propane lantern, etc. This stuff only gets accessed when we set up and when we take down, so minimal lifting of bed. Do not want to lift bed often with mattress topper left permanently on top.

- left rear access door with pull-out drawer. Very minimal took kit (removed stuff to rewire or make major repairs), BBQ utensils, propane bottles, and 2 burner propane stove go here.

- flashlights, lighters, misc, dry food, go under microwave and sink.

TV (minivan) has 2 med coolers with food and drink, EZ-up for picnic table, outside carpet for camper entrance, folding chairs, 1 duffel per person clothing. Food and drink may/may not be transferred to camper fridge upon arrival depending on bear situation, length of stay, and planned day activities.

This is based on maximum 4 day/3 night long weekend camping trip. Camper is for sleeping and lounging during rain storms. Day activities typically involve sight-seeing in area and short hikes. Eating, cooking, and cleaning done at picnic table. Good weather lounging near table in folding chairs.

The small A-frame works very well for our camping style. If you camp differently, it might not work so well for you.

Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122 A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage (minivan) with Equalizer E2 600/6000
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 11:04 AM   #9

As above suggests, often it's not a lack of storage but use too much stuff to begin with. We have one fabric and aluminum camp table that has storage pockets for pots, pans, dinnerware, cutting board, knives, and so forth. Pretty much more than anything we woul need for the typical trip. Cupboards under sink hold paper towels, sponges, misc. microwave holds coffee maker and coffee supplies. Cupboard under bench holds porta potty, wipes, tp, collapsible broom, leveler cranks. Space under bed holds aquatainer, camp chairs, grill, a small plastic set of drawers for spices, phone chargers, batteries and other small items. Also lanterns, bug zapper, etc. cupboard under microwave holds first aid, wires, fuses, smal tool set, duct tape, buck knife.
EZ-up canopy, the packed up camp kitchen, extra long fire poker, small led TV, a few folding chairs, Bal leveler in pizza delivery bag all pack onto the floor when folded or on top of the dinette cushions when folded.

The less you carry the less you have to pack and unpack.

During camping season we leave flip flop sandals, a hoodie sweatshirt, pair of shorts, swimsuit and 2 days change of underwear, socks, t-shirts in the camper in a small duffel bag and coffee, peanut butter, some canned foods, liquor, bottled water and some soda so packing for a trip is very easy/fast, we can just hook up and go.

First few trips we carried much much more but kept track of what we used every trip and what we never used, after the first season, took out and sold all the stuff we never used (mostly stuff left over from car/tent camping)
Old 08-20-2015, 05:57 AM   #10

Cube Storage

I had the same problem with storage. We tow w/ an Edge and bring our Golden, so not a lot of room to pack. My solution was to buy a 6 cube storage shelf w/ fabric drawers from Target. When towing, it lays perfectly under the table (just flip the table to legs up) with the drawers upright. When we stop, I set it up against the wall and put the large dog bed in front of it. Each drawer is labeled with a chalkboard sticker, I have pantry, junk drawer, toiletries, towels, and one each for me and the Hubs. We don't tend to stay inside so the table gets stored in the Edge. Of course, I just received my 10x10 screened canopy so I imagine we will put it in there with our camp chairs moving forward.

Hope this helps!

Ami
A122BH
2008 Ford Edge
Iamamid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 09:31 PM   #11

Here's a few things I've done in mine for storage... go vertical and use systems to stay organized
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20150408_102709.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	234.0 KB
ID:	86502   Click image for larger version

Name:	1430080495042.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	324.1 KB
ID:	86503   Click image for larger version

Name:	1427665703985.jpg
Views:	214