Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2016, 07:04 PM   #1

New A-frame Camper! What do I need?

Bringing home my new T12ddst on Saturday!!! Tow vehicle is ready to go, I have an adapter, surge protector, chocks and fuses on order at Amazon. Anything else you find essential? I will be doing weekend trips only for the first couple of years and I want to pack light. Thanks!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
RRRCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 08:13 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRRCubed View Post
Bringing home my new T12ddst on Saturday!!! Tow vehicle is ready to go, I have an adapter, surge protector, chocks and fuses on order at Amazon. Anything else you find essential? I will be doing weekend trips only for the first couple of years and I want to pack light. Thanks!!!!

Congrats on your new camper. Get ready for years of fun.

Other items you may need:
Extended TV mirrors
Levelers (of some sort)
Pads for your stabilizers
An extra power cord
Outside mat
Water pressure regulator
Water hose
Container for gray water
Brimare57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 10:08 PM   #3

Folding chairs for out side
Battery drill and socket to raise and lower lever/jack
Thin wall socket to remove tires
Air Gage to measure 65lb
Volt meter

Welcome to the A Frame
1A Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 05:46 AM   #4

Welcome to aframe camping and to the forum, RRRCubed.

Make sure you have the tools and know how to change a tire. Your TV jack may work, but try it out at home to be sure you can use it. Get a six sided socket for the lug nuts. I carry a breaker bar and a torque wrench as well. Harbor Freight is a good place to save money when buying infrequently used tools like this. I've had to change two tires on the road, having the right tools and knowing how to use them really helps.

Some way to level the camper. It can be cut deck boards, lynx levelers or my personal favorate a Bal Leveler.

The most important things for camping are a sense of adventure and humor. Happy camping.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 06:40 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1A Camper View Post
Folding chairs for out side

Air Gage to measure 65lb

OK, it's important to keep your tires inflated to the proper level. First, you need to check what the proper inflation level for your camper. My guess is that it's 50 psi. You need to be careful about over inflating your tires as well as driving with them under inflated. A pressure gauge is a good idea. If you're only taking short trips, check before you leave on a trip and before you leave to come back. Don't forget to check your spare, too!

2017 A212HW
2016 Ford Explorer TV
The Villages, Florida

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 09-11-2016, 12:44 PM   #6

Congratulations on your a-frame! I'm sure you'll enjoy yours as much as I do mine.

Here's a list of checklists for RV's. Some are what to look for when buying, several on what to take along, one for if you take pets, etc.

After you get suggestions from others, you can go over some lists on here to see if there would be something else useful to you:

https://rv-roadtrips.thefuntimesguid..._checklist.php

I just checked and some of the links are dead ends. Sorry.
brewjaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 12:58 PM   #7

NEVER use your stabilizers to level the trailer & NEVER unhitch until
you're level. If it's tilted to one side pull ahead and place pieces of wood (I use short 2x 8's or 2x10's) under the low side. Then check your level again. May need more wood (or other material) or less wood.
Once you have it level side to side, unhitch & then level front to back.
THEN put your stabilizers down.
Ian Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 02:01 PM   #8

You need to remember that the coolcat

heater works great, but only when outside temps are above 40 degrees.

When the outside temp drops to below 40, you will need to switch to the propane furnace, or use another 110v heater(catalytic, for example).

Happy camping!
mickrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 03:14 PM   #9

Get yourself a small portable electric heater. Get a good one with a thermostat that allows you to maintain a certain temperature. When you're in a campground, you usually have unlimited electricity. Whereas the propane furnace you have to keep the propane tank(s) full.
Also the propane furnace is noisy. It maintains a good heat but my wife is a light sleeper & every time it comes on she wakes up.
Ian Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 04:14 PM   #10

Small first aid kit, small tool kit, duct tape. Set of dishes for 4. Ours are microwaveable plastic. A couple of mugs and bowls. I'd rather wash than throw out paper plates. Shower stuff, including towels, shampoo, dry shampoo. Layers of clothes, rain gear, an extra pair of shoes. Small rugs for inside the door. A couple of pots and pans. Hot dog /marshmallow sticks. Bug spray, citronella candles. A good book. Chairs for around the fire. Fire starters. Half the clothes and twice the cash! Have a blast!
DebbieHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 09:33 PM   #11

Got the BAL leveler! The video in YouTube won me over, thanks for all the great advice!

Old 09-12-2016, 07:05 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Walker View Post
NEVER use your stabilizers to level the trailer.
Does everyone agree with this? I didn't know it. I thought that's what they are for. Side to side leveling I mean.
Where do you store a BAL stabilizer? They look big and cumbersome.
The Tipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 09:20 AM   #13

You really should get a cordless drill and a camco jack socket http://www.camco.net/product/levelin...-socket-10631/

It makes lowering and raising your stabilizers fast and easy, which is really nice if the weather isn't the best.

2017 A212HW
2016 Ford Explorer TV
The Villages, Florida

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 09-12-2016, 09:43 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tipper View Post
Does everyone agree with this? I didn't know it. I thought that's what they are for. Side to side leveling I mean.
If you have the front trunk like I do, it fits perfectly in the top shelf area, against the front wall. Just adjust the long adjusting screw so it folds flat. You may need to check the weight against all the other items stored in the trunk and make adjustments. You don't want the trunk too heavy.

A-Frame Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 10:34 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tipper View Post
That is true. The stabilizers are in intended to steady your camper. They are not intended to support the entire weight of the unit.
Brimare57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 01:08 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjwoody View Post
My guess is that it's 50 psi.
All the FR Aframes I've seen have D weight range tires which require 65 PSI for to hold the rated capacity. 50 PSI is normally for C range tires which have two fewer layers.

The weight rating on a pair of tires needs to be in excess of the GVWR of the camper. Always read the sidewall of the tire and inflate to the maximum.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 06:55 AM   #17

when looking for socket to raise/lower your stabilizers, you may want one that works with quick connect power screwdrivers. it will have an indentation on the 1/4" hex driver end. here is link to one on amazon, not sure how long link will be good.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
have fun
Old 09-13-2016, 08:40 PM   #18

Welcome to the A frame world, and the Forum. All great suggestions here. I might add a roll of clear Gorilla Tape. Just in case....I've had issues with leaking windows.
'17 Ford Super Duty F-250
Carmwes54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 08:47 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmwes54 View Post
Welcome to the A frame world, and the Forum. All great suggestions here. I might add a roll of clear Gorilla Tape. Just in case....I've had issues with leaking windows.
+1 on this. In one year I had the large skylight replaced once, removed and resealed once. It is now cracked again and has also become unsealed again.

In an emergency, I used both painters tape and electrical tape, but heavy-duty tape is what is holding it now.

This product from Amazon:

3M Extreme Sealing Tape 4411N Translucent, 1 1/2 in x 5 yd

A cheap digital temperature and humidity gauge is also very helpful, since the humidity tends to get quite high inside, even from just overnight respiration. I have found the best way to dehumidify is to use the propane heater to raise the temperature to about 85 degrees, then switch on the A/C unit to cool down to 68 degrees. This is because the A/C is more efficient at removing moisture from warmer air.

Last thing: "Milk Crate" or similar containers are great for holding items in the front storage compartment. It keeps them from shifting around. I also use plastic sweater boxes as clothes storage under the dinette table.

This is my rig set up for the road:

Generator on the front tongue, motorcycle in a rear carrier. 90 camping days in the last 14 months!

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 05:50 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluepill View Post
+1 on this. In one year I had the large skylight replaced once, removed and resealed once. It is now cracked again and has also become unsealed again.

In an emergency, I used both painters tape and electrical tape, but heavy-duty tape is what is holding it now.

This product from Amazon:

3M Extreme Sealing Tape 4411N Translucent, 1 1/2 in x 5 yd

A cheap digital temperature and humidity gauge is also very helpful, since the humidity tends to get quite high inside, even from just overnight respiration. I have found the best way to dehumidify is to use the propane heater to raise the temperature to about 85 degrees, then switch on the A/C unit to cool down to 68 degrees. This is because the A/C is more efficient at removing moisture from warmer air.

Last thing: "Milk Crate" or similar containers are great for holding items in the front storage compartment. It keeps them from shifting around. I also use plastic sweater boxes as clothes storage under the dinette table.

This is my rig set up for the road:

Generator on the front tongue, motorcycle in a rear carrier. 90 camping days in the last 14 months!

Wow!!! That is a beautiful set up!! Thanks for all the great advice guys!

Tags
a-frame, camper, frame