Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2013, 06:31 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAVELINBOB View Post
remember if you put a bunch of not so cold stuff in it and its not already cold it will take forever to GET COLD, best to Pre-cool it,,,the SPACE POD as I call it is sooo cool! you barely need a fridge :>)

Hahaha, thanks Bob, i can't wait to head south !
Old 01-19-2013, 06:49 PM   #42
Flagstaff 22FBS

Unplug the shore power before plugging in your pigtail to your tow vehicle. You'll blow the 30 amp fuze (up front by the battery) if shore power and TV pigtail are plugged in at the same time. (our previous experience ).

Someone suggested taking a couple of extra automotive fuzes, which is a good idea. Maybe pick up a couple (a 30 amp for sure) after your doc appt tomorrow. Before you go check your fuze panel to see what other sizes are used in there, too.

Deb

Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where Nature may heal and cheer and give strength to body and soul alike._ John Muir
gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:02 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregory View Post
Unplug the shore power before plugging in your pigtail to your tow vehicle. You'll blow the 30 amp fuze (up front by the battery) if shore power and TV pigtail are plugged in at the same time. (our previous experience ).

Someone suggested taking a couple of extra automotive fuzes, which is a good idea. Maybe pick up a couple (a 30 amp for sure) after your doc appt tomorrow. Before you go check your fuze panel to see what other sizes are used in there, too.

Deb
Sounds like something I'd do Deb, thanks, just went and found a box of assorted fuses for the trip!
Old 01-20-2013, 03:03 PM   #44

Anyone know if I can get warranty work done at my local RV place, (former student owns it and i know they do great work), since the RV dealership at which i bought my a122 if about 1.5hrs round trip, and my local RV place, is 5 minutes away.
Old 01-20-2013, 03:36 PM   #45
Flagstaff 22FBS

If they are a Forest River dealer/service I imagine they would.

Here's a link that might be useful:

Forest River Encourages you to Buy Locally

Deb

Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where Nature may heal and cheer and give strength to body and soul alike._ John Muir
Old 01-20-2013, 03:51 PM   #46
Phat Phrog

Lotsip I have enjoyed reading your thread! Congrats on the new camper! I know you are going to have so much fun!!
RVChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:13 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregory View Post
If they are a Forest River dealer/service I imagine they would.

Here's a link that might be useful:

Forest River Encourages you to Buy Locally

Deb
Gonna have to call them tomorrow, i guess.....oh wait, they are closed mondays., tuesday then..........they don't sell any rv's, but they are a huge place, maybe they are a forest river authorized service center though.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:15 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVChick View Post
Lotsip I have enjoyed reading your thread! Congrats on the new camper! I know you are going to have so much fun!!
Thanks so much, can't wait to get on the road, will be gone within a week or two, i am sure !
Old 01-20-2013, 07:57 PM   #49
Mostly Harmless

Your excitement is contagious. Even though I wouldn't want to have missed the past two years camping in our A128, seeing what a thrill you're getting out of a brand new one makes me remember being just as pumped as you are.
Please do keep us updated during your trip. Those of us in snow territory will be living for those reports!
2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:07 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehamguy1 View Post
Your excitement is contagious. Even though I wouldn't want to have missed the past two years camping in our A128, seeing what a thrill you're getting out of a brand new one makes me remember being just as pumped as you are.
Please do keep us updated during your trip. Those of us in snow territory will be living for those reports!

Ha ha, thanks! Right now, instead of watching my beloved Patriots.....(its being recorded, i watch later, after I know who won), I am on google maps trying to figure my best route.....don't wanna tow through those dastardly cites on the coast from new haven ct, to DC.......so, thinking

495 to mass pike to 84 to 81 to 77 to 26 to 95......less hectic, but, colder, greater risk of snow, and hillier ;/
Old 01-20-2013, 08:25 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotsip View Post
Ha ha, thanks! Right now, instead of watching my beloved Patriots.....(its being recorded, i watch later, after I know who won), I am on google maps trying to figure my best route.....don't wanna tow through those dastardly cites on the coast from new haven ct, to DC.......so, thinking

495 to mass pike to 84 to 81 to 77 to 26 to 95......less hectic, but, colder, greater risk of snow, and hillier ;/

brave.
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:01 PM   #52

Walmart today, $300 bucks for camper and trip "stuff"....including 130 bucks for a heavy duty tarp, we're getting 3-6 inches of snow tonite on the cape, and possibly a bigger storm friday ;(......
Old 01-22-2013, 08:54 AM   #53

pick up a hydralic jack and a t bar for changing out flats on the trailer. you wouldnt believe the number of people that get stuck on the side of the road because they cant change out a tire.
The hydralic jack can then be used at home to check tires .. and pull the hubs and check your electric breaks.

d-mo
Old 01-22-2013, 09:47 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-mo View Post
pick up a hydralic jack and a t bar for changing out flats on the trailer. you wouldnt believe the number of people that get stuck on the side of the road because they cant change out a tire.
The hydralic jack can then be used at home to check tires .. and pull the hubs and check your electric breaks.

d-mo
I have a piston type jack, i think thats what u are referring too, i used it for my truck too, so much easier.

Not sure how to check the electric brakes, still learning how to adjust the Voyager brake control unit they installed at the RV dealership, but, i want to check the grease, is there a simple grease fitting in the wheels? I've read some oweners of our campers have got new campers and not enough grease put in.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:53 AM   #55

Remember, FREE 1yr road side assistance, if you do not have the info on that call your dealer or Forest River to be sure you are registered!
2017 SUZUKI KINQQUAD 500 EPS
TRAVELINBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:33 AM   #56
Mostly Harmless

Unless they've changed the hub type, yours should have a flat black plastic disk in the center of the hub cover. Pry that off carefully and you'll see a soft rubber like cover on the hub itself. Pull that off and there's a grease fitting inside. Don't put too much grease in there; I filled the hub and a few thousand miles later found I had no brakes. Unfortunately I was in mountainous territory at the time. What happened was the grease had pushed through the hub's grease seals and gotten inside the brake drum. Luckily our truck had enough braking power to keep us from flying on the curves. Some $250 later a repair shop in Alaska fixed the problem.
Just put a squeeze or two in your hub (assuming you're using a manual grease gun). Check your owners manual for the hubs to find the kind of grease to use--very important.
D-mo's comment made me remember to caution you to have enough air in your tires. My 13" tires want 65 pounds but yours may be different. There should be a sticker on the side of your unit giving tire pressure info.
2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:16 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAVELINBOB View Post
Remember, FREE 1yr road side assistance, if you do not have the info on that call your dealer or Forest River to be sure you are registered!
Yup, got the Coach-Net number in my packet of manuals etc., thanks !
Old 01-22-2013, 06:20 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehamguy1 View Post
Unless they've changed the hub type, yours should have a flat black plastic disk in the center of the hub cover. Pry that off carefully and you'll see a soft rubber like cover on the hub itself. Pull that off and there's a grease fitting inside. Don't put too much grease in there; I filled the hub and a few thousand miles later found I had no brakes. Unfortunately I was in mountainous territory at the time. What happened was the grease had pushed through the hub's grease seals and gotten inside the brake drum. Luckily our truck had enough braking power to keep us from flying on the curves. Some $250 later a repair shop in Alaska fixed the problem.
Just put a squeeze or two in your hub (assuming you're using a manual grease gun). Check your owners manual for the hubs to find the kind of grease to use--very important.
D-mo's comment made me remember to caution you to have enough air in your tires. My 13" tires want 65 pounds but yours may be different. There should be a sticker on the side of your unit giving tire pressure info.
I am taking my truck and trailer to my former student, who owns the biggest RV service center on cape cod, thursday morning.......he is going to go over everything with me, grease included. I can do the tires myself, thanks for reminding me.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:05 PM   #59

Got a 24" tv for the camper today at walmart, a vizio.......anyone had any success with rabbit ears/inexpensive non-salletite dish systems for reception......don't wanna spend a lot of money, and understand the channels i will be able to pull in will be spotty, and depend on where i am located.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:35 PM   #60
Flagstaff 22FBS

Does your TV have a DVD slot? If so, take some movies with you. Maybe the Netflix thing would work for you? If no DVD slot, then take a VCR and a supply of pre-recorded "tapes" and you'll be prepared if you can't get over air TV reception.

We rigged up "rabbit ears" and some places it worked and other places it did not. We had along taken some movies to "zone out" on before bedtime, just in case the antenna didn't work.

Staying at campgrounds with cable TV hookup is another choice...or, if all else fails, you can read a book

Your on board CD/radio should provide local and some National news.

Deb

Tags
a122