Hey Everybody. We returned from our 3 days at City of Rocks, New Mexico. I used several different tips, and they all worked together to make sure we had power for the whole trip. I bought a Mr. Heater Portable Buddy -- runs off 1 green 1lb propane "tank." The night routine that worked was as follows:
Swapped out regular lights for LED lights.
It got down to about 30 at night.
1) Use coleman lantern for light before bed.
2) Have Mr. Heater ready to go with full tank and pilot lit.
3) Have coffee ready to go in percolator on the stove.
4) Open roof vent a little. Mostly for condensation, but preventing CO poisoning a plus!
5) Go to bed.
6) Wake up when it gets a little chilly and turn on Mr. Heater. That lasted about 4-5 hours. Probably from 12 - 5 AM
7) Wake up fully around 6:30, turn on coffee.
8) Run heater for about 5 minutes.
That was it. Worked great. Thank you to everyone for their great ideas. I think I may get one of those little 50W or 80W briefcase style solar panel setups to make sure that battery stays charged. But honestly, I think the major draw on the battery was the water pump -- mostly doing dishes.
I couldn't get the voltmeter to show me the battery voltage. I must be doing something wrong -- it kept showing 0V. Probably why I got a C in circuits.