Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2013, 06:08 PM   #1

New Aframe? Talk me out of this...or not.

If you have a short attention span - this is the short version: This sound like a decent price on a 2014 Flagstaff T12 RB? $10,895 - can probably get them down a bit.

*Discount RV Sales - Metro Atlanta, GA

Still here? OK - here’s the long version:

Hey all! Popup camper here looking into joining the ranks of the A Frame owners. I love my little popup, but am getting a little tired of the setup it takes and the worries about mildew if it should rain on the last day of the trip. I really like the easy towing / low profile of a popup though. So - A frame, right? Right.

Until recently I was looking only at Aliners. There is a dealer locally and, though the selection was limited, an Aliner Scout was in my price range and - bare bones as it was - it would work for me. The dealer could install (at a cost, of course) some of the options I was interested in. A window in the door? That’ll be extra. Front and rear stabilizers? That’ll be extra. (it only comes with the rear stabilizers). Diamond plate on the front? Nope - not available in that model. You get the picture.

Today I stopped at another local camper dealer after noticing online they had some Flagstaff A Frames. I have four words for what I saw.

ARE. YOU. KIDDING. ME.

Everything I wanted from the bare bones Aliner and way more. Heating and AC. Stereo. Front and rear stabilizers. Microwave. A handle bar for entry. Padding over the door in case I hit my head (they thought of everything!). Diamond plate - check. The bed is not a bunch of foam cushions from the ‘sofa’, it’s an actual mattress and it’s HEATED! Outdoor shower, nice looking wheels (I’m superficial that way - but also not available on the Aliner), roof/exhaust fan.

I’m thinking this is the way to go. Anyone have any input for me? Things to watch out for or check on before I take the plunge? Thanks in advance and happy camping to all!

Dave in Atlanta
shores11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 06:51 PM   #2

You won't regret your decision. I've had my rockwood with front metal storage for 3 months and like it a lot. Forest River stands behind their products. You may want to check out the other models by flagstaff or rockwood.

http://www.forestriverinc.com/PopUpC...age=floorplans
SurveyorWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 06:53 PM   #3

Plus next year you can attend the Forest River Owners Group Rally in Indiana

http://forestriverfrog.com/
Old 08-27-2013, 07:07 PM   #4
Retread Popup Owner

We've had our Flagstaff for about a month. Not including camping in the yard, this coming weekend will be our first time out. No regrets so far...quite the opposite.

Camping Photos
Camper Mods
Wojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:07 PM   #5

We went thru what you are doing. We started out new Aliner then, used Aliner and bought a new T12RBST Flagstaff. Just got back from our first 2 night camp out. We had a great time. We would buy again.
1A Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:15 PM   #6

Just my 2 pennies... I certainly wouldn't pay asking price. Considering we're at the end of the camping season, I'd guess $9300 (30% off MSRP) is a good starting point.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:29 PM   #7

First of all Flagstaff and Rockwell are the same product.

After many years of travel trailer camping (25') I bought a ROCKWOOD A128S. My TT days showed me how very important outside storage space is.

I would recommend a v6 for the tow vehicle.

I travel alone so 12' living space is not a problem but might be for two persons and maybe throw in a few pets..........

RV beds are usually not perfect, nor was mine. I cover the cushions with 3-5" of memory foam.

But what you see is what you get and I am very pleased with all the appointments of my Aframe. My criticism are all VERY small items. Setup or takedown in less than a minute. Use a cordless drill on the stabilizer jacks and setup tongue jack for a drill too.

I do miss a freezer, but hey it is a small space trailer.

These are units that you really can pickup at the dealer and go straight camping.
neil.ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 05:32 AM   #8

Thanks for the input and tips everyone! I plan to look over the Flagstaff a few more times before making a decision, but I"m still impressed with the 'bang for the buck' with these A frames. Also this dealer is a bit closer to me than the other dealer. I'm also thinking that Forest River's market saturation might be a good thing if I'm on the road and have a problem - they are everywhere.

My TV is a V6 Tacoma with the tow package, so I'm way under my towing capacity - which is a good thing.

The only issue I could find was the dining table was pretty wobbly. Looking over the forums here - that seems to be a common complaint. I also saw several ideas for a fix.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:02 AM   #9

2014's have been out since May and new floor plans come out this September so keep that in mind when negotiating as your dealer might only have 2013 or even 2012 on the lot.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:10 AM   #10

For price comparisons, you may want to check out rvdirect.com or houseofcamping.com
Old 08-28-2013, 09:20 AM   #11

My dealer is only showing one new model for 2014. T12TST Flagstaff T12TST Camping Trailer | Roberts Sales - Denver, Colorado
Old 08-28-2013, 09:27 AM   #12

Thanks for the tips on pricing! It is a 2014 model T12 RB. They said they had just gotten them in this week.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:34 AM   #13

I highly recommend Kelly Tussing over at RVWholesalers. I've never checked on A-Frames, so I'm not sure if they even carry them, but I'd definitely recommend giving him a call on it. I just negotiated the third camper we've bought from him(us, in-laws, and my now one for my mother) and we've had great luck and excellent service every time. Can't recommend them enough. The owner, David Durnell (think I got that right) frequents the forums and is usually available for assistance if needed.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:21 AM   #14

Another great selling point. The trailer will fit into a single car garage with 2" to spare on each side.
neil.ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:09 AM   #15

The A Frame has electric brakes so check on brake controllers if you don't already have one.
toleworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 02:29 PM   #16
Retread Popup Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1A Camper View Post
My dealer is only showing one new model for 2014. T12TST Flagstaff T12TST Camping Trailer | Roberts Sales - Denver, Colorado
Interesting. That's the same floor plan as the 194HW that Catworker has.

Camping Photos
Camper Mods
Wojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 03:27 PM   #17

A little different, the cassette toilet is turn 90* also description is low wall not high. New for 2014; the only low-wall T-Series with a built-in cassette toilet
Old 08-28-2013, 09:06 PM   #18

So these are available in high wall and low wall models? I thought the body was basically the same for all the models and the difference was in the interior layout. It looks like you get a bigger fridge with a freezer in the high wall models. How do you know which are the high wall and the low wall models?
Old 08-28-2013, 09:09 PM   #19

This link goes to the forest river website. Look under hardside section for HW and regular size

http://www.forestriverinc.com/PopUpC...age=floorplans
Old 08-29-2013, 10:15 PM   #20

I bought a Flagstaff 12sc last June. I love it. It was within budget and provided everything I was looking for. The model I have has the toilet/shower combo. The unit is easy to maintain and even easier to tow and set up. The only time I ever had a problem was when I ended up with a very uneven campsite. 2 levels and some 2x4s fixed that problem. Bottom line is the flagstaff gave me
desertwilde is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
frame, a-frame