Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2016, 01:02 PM   #1

New Aframe-what to look for?

After two years of looking my wife and I finally pulled the trigger on a 2017 A214HW. We will be picking it up on Saturday. I am looking for insight and advice on what to look for during the PDI process. This is our first brand new trailer(we have had older ones and a motorhome, so we are not new to rv's) and we are definitely new to Aframes. Any advise or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
minisquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 04:01 PM   #2

Here is a PDI checklist hosted in the forum library. It is for a hybrid camper so some of it is not applicable (like grey and black water). But it still covers most of systems on an A Frame.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...do=file&id=112

Some parts are outdated, like like bringing a CD. Yes spinning music discs are still around, but less and less useful.

One thing that recent A Frame purchasers have noted. Make sure the radio plays both the left and right stereo channels on the inside speakers and you hear both sides in mono on the outside. The outside speaker should be mutable without affecting the inside sound.

Test the stereo by bringing a patch cable and USB cable to connect it to a phone. To test the speakers, it is not that difficult to use software to make a simple track that switches between left and right channels sequentially. But it may be more trouble than it's worth. particularly if you have a MP3 of a song with noticeable stereo separation, like a guitar lead primarily on one side. Or just play Bohemian Rhapsody until the PDI tech screams and runs away.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 04:13 PM   #3

Check that the roof panels are flat and fit together snugly both up and down without the need for buckles or latches to force them in place. Not that the buckles won't pull the roof down, just that everything should be even and close.

Examine the apex seal as best you can.

2012 Rockwood A122S

Old 09-21-2016, 05:44 PM   #4

Congratulations on your purchase. As you know, I just brought my unit home 2 days ago. You are wise in asking about the PDI. Sometimes things are missed. I had my rep turn on and test everything.
One thing that is very important is to make sure you have correct drop on your hitch. At first, my rep was going to send me away with my rig pulling too low. I had him change the hitch.
Anyway, enjoy you new mini home!!!
Brimare57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 06:44 PM   #5

hidee ho

Hello and welcome from northern Arizona! Congrats on the new rig!! You might consider filming your PDI with the dealer on your cell phone or tablet as you go along; so easy then to look at later when you have a question about something and realize you forgot what the guy said! Happy Camping!!

2013 Forest River Surveyor SP220 Sport 25'
2012 Ram 1500 4X4, 5.7L Hemi quad cab
pt1655 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 08:59 AM   #6

I would make sure that:
  • You know how to use and where the winterizing valves are for the water heater
  • Location of the low point water drains and how to use them
  • How to work the refrigerator controls
  • How to work the digital thermometer to control auto or manual fan on A/C
  • How to work the water pump, including location and maintenance of the water filter and strainer.
  • How to fill and drain your fresh water tank
2008 Toyota Sequoia 2WD
Big Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 10:19 AM   #7
Site Team

Since you have already have RV experience then I would focus on what's different like putting up the walls correctly. Browse the A-Frame forum threads for ideas & tricks.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 01:14 PM   #8

+1 on the hitch. I had to flip my ball mount and re fit the ball. It gives me 16" from the ground to the flat on the ball mount and 19" to the top of the ball.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 01:20 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terier View Post
Since you have already have RV experience then I would focus on what's different like putting up the walls correctly. Browse the A-Frame forum threads for ideas & tricks.
If you are getting the Cool Cat A/C + Heat Pump, make sure to spend time with the thermostat manual. It has a lot of features, and the operation is not completely intuitive.

Also. if the sound system is a dashboard-style unit with a removable faceplate, I found that it can turn itself on when I connect/disconnect the battery. It drains the battery in about a week. I remove the faceplate and store it in a small Tupperware dish. That way it doesn't turn itself on.

Make sure you consider the 2nd year extended warranty. You need to sign up for it in the first month of ownership. Dealers rarely mention it because they don't like warranty work.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Old 09-22-2016, 02:22 PM   #10

radio on

Thanks Bluepill for this info! It has happened to me 2x and I could not figure out why the radio was on when I put up our popup. I mute the volume most of the time so I never realized it was on until I put it up. I will definitely remove the face plate going forward. Mine works even without the 12v master switch just inside the door turned on so it's nice to know.
61cubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 04:52 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluepill View Post
Also. if the sound system is a dashboard-style unit with a removable faceplate, I found that it can turn itself on when I connect/disconnect the battery. It drains the battery in about a week. I remove the faceplate and store it in a small Tupperware dish. That way it doesn't turn itself on.
Not "can" turn itself on, but "WILL" turn itself on. Took some reading of the Kenwood manuals, but the stereo has 2 power lines (positive wires) for use in a car. One goes through the ignition switch, and the other bypasses the ignition so it retains memory settings while the car is turned off. Forest River wires both power wires to a 12V positive wire (no switch). The result is the stereo "sees" any change in the 12V as the ignition switch being turned on. My stereo will also turn itself on when you hook up shore power (voltage jumps from 12.6 on full battery to 13.7 from converter).

My fix is to install a switch for both stereo power lines (yellow and red wires) and accept the stereo losing its presets. If I wire the yellow past the switch, it will behave like it does in a car, retaining the presets at the cost of some parasitic drain on the battery.

Regardless of how you wire the stereo, disconnecting the battery (and no shore power) wipes the stereo memory and also eliminates any parasitic drains.

FWIW, the purple and purple/black wires (right rear speaker) were totally disconnected from the factory. Outside speaker is only getting left channel signal.

hope this helps
Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122 A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 05:29 PM   #12

Thanks for the explanation. I have used my stereo exactly once in over 90 days of camping (when I misplaced my portable weather radio.)

As that Great American Folk Poet Paul Simon says......

"I can get all the news I need from the weather report"

Old 09-23-2016, 11:01 AM   #13

Thanks for all the helpful info! Looks like the radio has been a problem that should be looked over well. I am glad to see that most problems have been minor.
Old 09-24-2016, 09:57 PM   #14

Picked it up today-i will be returning it monday. I feel bad for any one who buys one of these. Poor craftsmanship and total lack of pride is what I see. If i could have one wish it would be to not have ever looked at this pile of crap. I hope everybody else has a better experience but as for me-i am out and never to return
Old 09-24-2016, 11:45 PM   #15

FWIW, you cannot compare RV quality to other things, such as cars, boats, trucks, etc. It is a sad commentary on the industry, but overall design, quality, fit, assembly, and finish are lacking in even 200 thousand dollar motor homes. Possibly Airstream is an exception to this rule, but I am not familiar with them. This has been discussed at length in many forums for many years.

It is just a fact that if you want an RV, you have to settle for Sub-Prime products and warranty hassles. If the RV industry ever tried to get into the car business, they would rank below the Yugo.

Old 09-25-2016, 09:54 AM   #16

Did you not look at a representative sample before you purchased? Why did you even take it home? Not attacking you at all but it seems like you wasted alot of your time researching and all only to return it? This is going to be a real hassle for you, not to mention more time and money.

I'm happy to say that our unit from FR is pretty nice. Except for a few loose screws and sawdust coming from I don't know where it has handled high winds, driving rain, and 2 energetic Siberian Huskies with apparent ease. I truly am sorry for your experience.
61cubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 02:24 PM   #17

Sorry to hear you did not like your unit. We have really enjoyed our FR aframe . We have had a couple of issues but our dealer took care of them without hassle. The first thing that happened was a bolt on the life-assist mechanism snapped. It was repaired. Next, on the last day of a 15-day camping trip, while traveling home, one of the roof latches just fell off. We were able to secure the roof with a bungee cord. No permanent damage to the unit. Once again our dealer replaced the missing latch and inspected the other latches.

We added "inspect the latches" to our pre-trip check list. Our aframe is not perfect but it fills the bill. We enjoy going camping with the ease of minimal set up, air conditioning and a comfortable dry bed. It's camping not a luxury resort.

Life is what we make it.
2010 Ford F150 4 X 4

2016 nights camped 31
FLGrandCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 12:43 AM   #18

Minisquatch, would you please elaborate with the issues that are causing you to return the trailer? Did you do a walk thru before you removed it from the dealer premises? Calling it a pile of crap, saying there is a lack of pride and poor workmanship does nothing to help a future potential A-Frame buyer, whether they are looking at same model or type of trailer.

Please share what has you so disappointed in the product. I can't figure why you would go to the trouble to bring it home if there's so much about it that stinks?

I bought my 2012 brand new. 5 seasons later, have had zero issue with it. It's an awesome trailer, excellent build (compared to other brands) for the type of trailer it is.

What should've been a happy time, looks like its now a remorseful one. So sorry to read your post. Look forward to hearing more detail to understand your situation.

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 08:05 AM   #19

I would think it would be very hard to return a trailer after you signed the dotted line and took it home, if not impossibe.
Bottom line....i dont believe the origional story.
Old 09-28-2016, 08:26 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-mo View Post
I would think it would be very hard to return a trailer after you signed the dotted line and took it home, if not impossibe.
Bottom line....i dont believe the origional story.
The dealer would probably buy it back as used. That must be one disgruntled owner to take such a loss in such a short time. There is undoubtedly much more to the story than we have been told.

2012 Rockwood A122S

Tags
frame