Old 12-22-2015, 01:01 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1A Camper View Post
When my roof is up there is a 1/4 gap between the two roofs inside before the two roofs touch each other. I am filling the 1/4 gap when need, the foam falls out when lowing the roof. It is just a temporary fix when needed. It does not do anything to the roofs so do not see how it could effect warranty.

I used this AC-Safe Weather Seal-AC-401 - The Home Depot

Saw this tonight in Bed Bath & Beyond and thought I could cut it and glue in gap KidCo SecureStick Foam Edge and Corner Protector - BedBathandBeyond.com

Thanks so much 1ACamper. I think this looks like what hubby had talked about getting. I will update on the next time we are out in the trailer.

Old 12-22-2015, 08:34 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntielo1 View Post
My brand new Forrester leaked badly from the gate. I bought it at Pan Pacific RV Center in California. There was a large amount of water sloshing between the walls for days. They patched the roof and sent me on my way. Bad dealership. Horrible !!!! There was fraud committed in that this rig had repairs made prior to my purchase. I was not informed of the repairs and if I had been I wouldn't have purchased that rig. .
Time for you to talk to FR !!!

Old 12-22-2015, 12:34 PM   #13

Haven't had water blow in that area but have had snow. I use round foam pipe insulation and push it in the opening from inside. Works well and is low cost. I use foam for 1" pipe.
Old 12-22-2015, 09:04 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzak View Post
Haven't had water blow in that area but have had snow. I use round foam pipe insulation and push it in the opening from inside. Works well and is low cost. I use foam for 1" pipe.

This is good to know. I'm glad the solution is a simple one. We plan on camping more frequently and want to be sure the inside we stay dry and cozy. Thanks for the post
Old 12-23-2015, 09:00 AM   #15

Sounds like every one ever built leaks ????????????
Old 12-23-2015, 01:41 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
Sounds like every one ever built leaks ????????????
Owners of units that don't leak (like me) generally don't post on a thread where they can't help. And this forum only has a small minority of Rockwood A-frame owners, anyway.

That said, I have noticed small light leaks in bright sunshine at the 2 edge rails where the roof panels join. These 1/4" "holes" have never leaked while camping. I think there is enough overhang of the upper panel under most rain conditions. Perhaps a hard driving rain that was being blown from directly behind the camper might leak a little - we just haven't experienced it yet.

More likely to cause problems for us in the long term is UV-caused disintegration of the caulk (and possibly the window plastic itself) around the bubble windows. The extra UV radiation in Colorado high country from the thinner atmosphere and prevalent sunshine is a slow death for many materials - including plastic/vinyl window and door trim on my house. This is one of the reasons I keep my A-frame in the garage when not camping.

Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122 A-frame
Old 12-23-2015, 05:21 PM   #17

I truly believe that these units are as well as they can be made for around $10,000 and that we are able to recognize the leaks in the roof system for an entry level RV I say I hate saying this but these are entry level RVs much like tent trailers so we have to be very vigilant and make sure that everything is ok especially on the roof and slide systems if you think you'll really have problems think of others we have enclosed trailers that don't even know these things are happening I truly wish that these voice-activated systems would include a paragraph merry Christmas to all and enjoy your holidays
Old 12-23-2015, 05:38 PM   #18

The leak we had like I said was not bad enough to be a problem. We just had to get up at 3 am and put down some cups and pans for some of the dripping. It was manageable and did no damage. We will plan next time to get weather rubber stripping for the areas that leak in heavy rain. Normal rain was no problem at all. It was just a hard rain on the side where the one bubble window is. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1450910292.930167.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	151.2 KB
ID:	96710
Old 12-24-2015, 07:54 AM   #19

Sorry guys,,, but I do not understand why it would be normal for a new RV of any kind to have window & roof leaks??? We owned an old StarCraft Pop/up for many years,,,
and it never leaked a drop!!!
Old 12-24-2015, 09:54 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
Sorry guys,,, but I do not understand why it would be normal for a new RV of any kind to have window & roof leaks??? We owned an old StarCraft Pop/up for many years,,,
and it never leaked a drop!!!

There is a difference between a popup and Hardside A-Frame. The popup has a straight single seam roof opposed to a roof that comes together at a peak. The leaks may come from your canvas or not. We had 2 pop ups by Coleman/fleetwood and they were solid with no leaks in complete downpours. The A-Frame raises up 2 sides that meet together that will have one side with a seam to overlap the other. Not all A-Frames leak. In my case it was straight line winds pushing the rain in from one side. Pop ups also do not have bubble windows which can crack or with time the window seal looses potency. It's fixable. Many RVs will leak in some places but if caught and diagnosed can be fixed.

Tags
camper, leak, roo, roof