Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-30-2015, 08:16 AM   #41

"Invasions" of ladybug beatles

have taken place in fall camping in the mountains, and I noticed a few of those small bugs had somehow worked their way into the camper.

After reading these posts, I guess I'll get some foam ready for a spring fix!
mickrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 08:35 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickrock View Post
have taken place in fall camping in the mountains, and I noticed a few of those small bugs had somehow worked their way into the camper.

After reading these posts, I guess I'll get some foam ready for a spring fix!
Those little Japanese Ba$ta*ds are every where !!!
LOL !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 02:41 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
I will admit I know nothing about these A farmes,,,
But I am guessing they must be VERY level in order to close property ???
Not really the case at all. In 90% of the cases (both PUPs and A-frames), I suspect the cause of misalignments is putting down the stabilizers too hard. Like a convertible car, the frame is subject to more bending moment when there is no attached body and roof (roof is very important) to strengthen the frame.

And being light RVs to begin with, it's very easy to apply a bending force to the frame with the stabilizers.

On my A122 A-frame, I have misalignment with the latches if I put the stabilizers down a little too firmly. On my previous PUP, putting down the stabilizers too hard would cause misalignment of the canvas at the door. I have become a proponent of just kissing the ground with the stabilizers - and no more, no matter how soft the ground.

That's not saying that there can't be misalignment caused by the roof or side panel hinges on an A-frame. These can be bent, or the fasteners can lose their grip, or can come from the factory not mounted correctly. But hinge problems would cause a consistent misalignment.

None of this has anything to do with leveling, but rather to do with how properly the panels are aligned during setup.

just my experiences
Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122 A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage (minivan)
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 04:03 PM   #44

It makes sense that it would be easy to tourqe the frame with the levelers, especially on the longer 21 ft units !
Butch Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 06:41 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch Wilson View Post
It makes sense that it would be easy to tourqe the frame with the levelers, especially on the longer 21 ft units !

Agree Butch, when we set up always try to make sure the trailer is level. I recall on our other A-Frame the top door part was difficult to latch with the lower although the sides latched but were snug going in. This new trailer is a little better at leveling.
chaviva7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 06:47 PM   #46

Our old Cheyenne pup was close enough to level if you didn't roll out of bed in the middle of the night ! I guess I better pay more attention !
Old 12-31-2015, 03:14 PM   #47

I think there is some misunderstanding of what I said.

LEVELING does not use or require the STABILIZERS be lowered. Being level or not level does not affect roof/side panel alignment. The only reasons to level an A-frame:

1) the fridge needs reasonable leveling fore and aft for the coolant to flow correctly (there is no pump or compressor). I have seen figures of +/- 5 degrees as reasonable leveling.

2) the Cool-Cat might not drain condensation correctly when air conditioning (side-to-side leveling controls).

3) personal comfort - floors/beds/seats can be uncomfortable if too far out of level.

If you are leveling using the stabilizers, you are doing it wrong, and torqueing the frame. Side-to-side leveling is accomplished by blocking up the low wheel. I use the Lynx Leveler plastic blocks (sometimes called Legos) for this - others use wood blocks or other leveling devices. Fore and aft leveling is done using the tongue jack after side-to-side leveling.

At this point, the A-frame is leveled as desired, and can be completely set up without using the stabilizers. The trailer has a stable 3 point stance - 2 tires and the tongue.

The job of the stabilizers is to prevent the A-frame (or PUP) from tilting back on its wheels (tongue in the air) when you move to the back of the camper (I have done this when I forgot to put the stabs down). They have no other function.

Torqueing the frame by putting the stabilizers down too tight may cause misalignment of the side and roof panels - my wall to roof latches are misaligned if I have put one or two of the stabs down too tight.

Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122 A-frame
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 05:04 PM   #48

I think that the stabilizer jacks do more than keeping u from tipping up. All u have to do is setup with and without and there's a vast difference in rocking and rolling with stabilizers down.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 01-01-2016, 08:52 AM   #49

Hey ! Just how do you keep them cabbage bugs out in the winter time ! ��
Old 02-01-2016, 12:41 AM   #50

Mold

My worst fear has been realized. Brand new Forester started off with a roof leak and water slouching between the walls. I bought it November 11, 2015. It's been in repair three times , twice for water intrusion for over 30 days in the shop since I bought it and now there's mold growing in the ceiling. HELP!!
Auntielo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 09:09 AM   #51

DON'T screw with the Mold !!!
If you have not talked to the Factory,,, it is time !!!
You need to try for a replacement unit !!!
Good Luck Auntielo1
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 09:32 AM   #52

Auntielo1
I agree you need to contact Forest River, not the dealer. If you are looking for others with similar experiences I would suggest since you have a motorhome not an a frame that you post in that section of the forum. You would probably get better response. A frame roof systems use a different manufactuing process. Good luck .
Old 02-03-2016, 12:52 PM   #53

I have a Rocwood A122S that leaks when camper is closed. If it was up during high winds and hard rain, it too would leak, I believe. Took it in to get looked at, the back panel is bent. Sags about 1/2" or so, the seal did not make contact all the way across. They installed an extra seal that connects to the edge of the front panel. Seal looks like one by AP Product )18-3009. Seems to close up space nicely.
Banjo64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 11:15 PM   #54

First real trip out we had 30mph sustained winds and tornado warnings south of where camped. Had no issues, rain and wind hit right rear corner put me to sleep like a baby. If under warranty, let the pros look at it.
Old 03-14-2016, 07:43 PM   #55

FR roof delamination issues

Hi
I think I finally found the right chat group.

I just sold my 2007 Chalet trailer.
Over the last few years I met numerous Chalet owners who are struggling to repair delamination of their roof panels.
I also experienced some delamination on my unit.
I love the Aframe concept, I get really good gas mileage pulling the Chalet with my Tacoma.
I am considering buying a Rockwood Aframe and I am wondering if there are also similar issues with roof and wall delamination.
Aframe-camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 09:49 PM   #56

Haven't experienced any roof leaks or delamination issues as it is garage kept.
JKVenero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 12:59 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKVenero View Post
Haven't experienced any roof leaks or delamination issues as it is garage kept.
Yes it seems if the trailer is stored under a roof there is not as much chance of delamination.
Aframe-camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 07:46 AM   #58

Having been on this forum for over 5 years now...i have yet to see any issues with delamination . ..however the bubble windows are known to have issues with leaking. The metal roof interior skin gives our units rigity . ..and definately a marked improvement over the chalet roof. A friend purchased a used chalet and has issues with window leaks..roof flexing..and a whole host of other issues
Old 03-15-2016, 02:38 PM   #59

Leak on A122 when closed

When the camper is up, there is no water leak. When closed, it leaked in the roof. Said something to dealer and Forest River. They replaced all my roof seals. Great repair by Albany RV and greater customer service by Forest River.
Banjo64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 03:28 PM   #60

Forest River really stepped up and worked with me on my leak issues!!!!
Auntielo1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camper, leak, roo, roof