Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2012, 08:47 PM   #21
Senior Member
 
Iggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Desert SW - Arizona
Posts: 6,360
Mike G

This is my answers and no one elses.

1. There is a ground stud on the side of the generator and the owners manual says to ground the generator before using it, but the stud appears to be labeled for battery charging only, I have never seen a generator set with a ground wire attached. Any help with clearing this up for me would be appreciated.

My answer

The ground connect could be used to ground your unit but I have never used it even while sitting in the bed of my truck


2. The owners manual says not to touch or operate the generator in the rain or if it is wet (May Cause Shock). The generators controls appear to be weatherproof, and does this mean if it is raining I can`t use the genny? It does not make sense to me and maybe I am reading this wrong. Again any help will be appreciated!!

My answer

It is NOT water proof and should not be used and left out in the rain.
Nothing on the control panel is waterproof nor any of the electronic compoments inside.


I have never seen any RV generator water proof.
__________________

__________________
2012 Georgetown XL - 378TS 60,000 miles
Life is a journey, not a destination !

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:10 PM   #22
Senior Member
 
Mike G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 225
Thanks for the info., this is my first experience with a portable generator and I just want to make sure I don`t screw anything up.

It really surprises me that a portable generator is not weatherproof, but it`s good info. to know.

Thanks again!!!!
__________________

__________________
________________________
2012 A122 (SOLD)

2016 A122 SXR (New)

2016 Toyota Tacoma DCLB
Mike G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:37 PM   #23
Senior Member
 
Iggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Desert SW - Arizona
Posts: 6,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
Thanks for the info., this is my first experience with a portable generator and I just want to make sure I don`t screw anything up.

It really surprises me that a portable generator is not weatherproof, but it`s good info. to know.

Thanks again!!!!

The few thnings that I can suggest is when you head home make sure you run the carberator dry by truning off the fuel and letting it stall out by itself. That way you won't leave the fuel in the carb to build up garbage and restrict air/fuel flow next time you try to start it.

After the summer make sure you remove all the fuel in the tank. This will reduce buildup and any condensation from themp changes.

If you really a good mechanic at the end of the summer season pull the plug and clean it and squirt a little oil down into the plug hole before reinstalling the plug. This will help keep the rings lubricated on the top of the cylinder and less chance of seizing of the rings.

A few idea from me.
__________________
2012 Georgetown XL - 378TS 60,000 miles
Life is a journey, not a destination !

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:41 PM   #24
Senior Member
 
Rest and Relax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Brampton ontario
Posts: 120
Smile

I bought the Briggs and Stratton P2000 it runs quiet and much more reasonably priced than the Honda or Yamaha. Tried it at home with a 1500 watt oil heater and it purred along great, don't know if it will start an a/c unit or not though.Its cool enough here in canada so don't need that to many times in a season anyways,we live in Igloos you know.
__________________
Rest and Relax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 12:23 PM   #25
Senior Member
 
Mike G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 225
Well I fired up the new Yamaha generator and it started on the first pull! This thing is super quiet and easy to use. I was loading my camper back up for the year and hooking everything back up, so I decided to see if the generator would run the AC unit. The generator never even flinched, it stayed in Eco mode and I even turned on the lights and roof fan.

The Yamaha 2000 watt will run our 10,000 Cool Cat!!!

I am glad I did not buy a bigger generator, this thing is not extremely heavy, but I would not want to carry or move anything heavier.

I almost bought a cheaper generator to save a few dollars, but now I am glad I spent the money on a quality generator.

Here is the link for Wise Equipmen,they were great to work with, shipped fast and provided good tracking info. I did order an extended oil fill adapter and it made adding the oil much easier.

http://www.wisesales.com/ef2000is-yamaha-generator.html
__________________
________________________
2012 A122 (SOLD)

2016 A122 SXR (New)

2016 Toyota Tacoma DCLB
Mike G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 01:41 PM   #26
Moderators' Assistant
 
bikendan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Camano Island, Washington
Posts: 13,286
it's good to know that the 2000w gennies can run the smaller a/c that the A-frames come with.
i'm sure that if the Yammie ran it, a Honda 2000 should run it also.
__________________
Dan-Retired Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 01:41 PM   #27
Senior Member
 
DAISY BOYKIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: SUNSHINE STATE
Posts: 1,623
Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
If you read carefully-------------

I believe the ground stud on the generator is used when there is not a generator frame, the frame becomes the ground. If it is used with a auto disconnect switching system, the ground should be used.
__________________
Sid, Lois & HRH MISSY Terrible 2s SHIH TZU
2011 ROCKWOOD 8285 WS
2014 F-250 KING RANCH PS/SD/6R140/BFT
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2017 66 DAYS
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 02:09 PM   #28
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
The few thnings that I can suggest is when you head home make sure you run the carberator dry by truning off the fuel and letting it stall out by itself. That way you won't leave the fuel in the carb to build up garbage and restrict air/fuel flow next time you try to start it.

After the summer make sure you remove all the fuel in the tank. This will reduce buildup and any condensation from themp changes.

If you really a good mechanic at the end of the summer season pull the plug and clean it and squirt a little oil down into the plug hole before reinstalling the plug. This will help keep the rings lubricated on the top of the cylinder and less chance of seizing of the rings.

A few idea from me.

I have to respectfully disagree with you on several points "as a mechanic"
DO NOT run carb dry for winter storage .
DO NOT drain tank for winter storage .

Draining the items as you say introduce air and moisture to accumulate .

adding fuel stabilizer such as sea foam or stabil, I recommend sea foam and running unit till it mixes well and into carb .
then fill the tank completely full . then fogging the unit with the sea foam with a sprayer bottle .

I own 5 snowmobiles that I do this to every year. 4 carb. models and one fuel injected . The times anyone has ever had issues is when everything was drained dry .

You are asking for trouble when draining .
__________________
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 02:23 PM   #29
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Pickerington, OH
Posts: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
it's good to know that the 2000w gennies can run the smaller a/c that the A-frames come with.
i'm sure that if the Yammie ran it, a Honda 2000 should run it also.
The Honda 2000i will not run the Duo-Therm unit. There a numerous posts in the Yahoo T@B tabtrailers : T@B / TAB Travel Trailers Dutchmen Thor forum regarding the Honda. I used to own a T@B (it uses the same Duo-Therm unit) and I own the Honda 2000i. It will randomly run the unit but not for continued use.

As the weather gets hot the compressor will be cycling on and off. The Honda cannot handle the continual compressor start-up requirements. Perhaps the Yamaha can.
__________________
Currently trailerless.

2014 Silverado Double Cab 1500 5.3L V8 w/3.42 Axle Ratio Tow Vehicle

Sold: 2012 Rockwood A122 Hardside Popup
daveinpickerington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 03:20 PM   #30
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveinpickerington View Post
The Honda 2000i will not run the Duo-Therm unit. There a numerous posts in the Yahoo T@B tabtrailers : T@B / TAB Travel Trailers Dutchmen Thor forum regarding the Honda. I used to own a T@B (it uses the same Duo-Therm unit) and I own the Honda 2000i. It will randomly run the unit but not for continued use.

As the weather gets hot the compressor will be cycling on and off. The Honda cannot handle the continual compressor start-up requirements. Perhaps the Yamaha can.

All that's needed is to install a delay timer to delay the fan from coming on
5 seconds or so after compressor gets started. Then it will work fine
__________________

__________________
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:25 PM.