Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2012, 08:47 PM   #21

Mike G

This is my answers and no one elses.

1. There is a ground stud on the side of the generator and the owners manual says to ground the generator before using it, but the stud appears to be labeled for battery charging only, I have never seen a generator set with a ground wire attached. Any help with clearing this up for me would be appreciated.

My answer

The ground connect could be used to ground your unit but I have never used it even while sitting in the bed of my truck

2. The owners manual says not to touch or operate the generator in the rain or if it is wet (May Cause Shock). The generators controls appear to be weatherproof, and does this mean if it is raining I can`t use the genny? It does not make sense to me and maybe I am reading this wrong. Again any help will be appreciated!!

My answer

It is NOT water proof and should not be used and left out in the rain.
Nothing on the control panel is waterproof nor any of the electronic compoments inside.

I have never seen any RV generator water proof.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:10 PM   #22

Thanks for the info., this is my first experience with a portable generator and I just want to make sure I don`t screw anything up.

It really surprises me that a portable generator is not weatherproof, but it`s good info. to know.

Thanks again!!!!

2016 A122 SXR (New)

2016 Toyota Tacoma DCLB
Mike G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:37 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
Thanks for the info., this is my first experience with a portable generator and I just want to make sure I don`t screw anything up.

It really surprises me that a portable generator is not weatherproof, but it`s good info. to know.

Thanks again!!!!

The few thnings that I can suggest is when you head home make sure you run the carberator dry by truning off the fuel and letting it stall out by itself. That way you won't leave the fuel in the carb to build up garbage and restrict air/fuel flow next time you try to start it.

After the summer make sure you remove all the fuel in the tank. This will reduce buildup and any condensation from themp changes.

If you really a good mechanic at the end of the summer season pull the plug and clean it and squirt a little oil down into the plug hole before reinstalling the plug. This will help keep the rings lubricated on the top of the cylinder and less chance of seizing of the rings.

A few idea from me.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:41 PM   #24

Smile

I bought the Briggs and Stratton P2000 it runs quiet and much more reasonably priced than the Honda or Yamaha. Tried it at home with a 1500 watt oil heater and it purred along great, don't know if it will start an a/c unit or not though.Its cool enough here in canada so don't need that to many times in a season anyways,we live in Igloos you know.
Rest and Relax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 11:23 AM   #25

Well I fired up the new Yamaha generator and it started on the first pull! This thing is super quiet and easy to use. I was loading my camper back up for the year and hooking everything back up, so I decided to see if the generator would run the AC unit. The generator never even flinched, it stayed in Eco mode and I even turned on the lights and roof fan.

The Yamaha 2000 watt will run our 10,000 Cool Cat!!!

I am glad I did not buy a bigger generator, this thing is not extremely heavy, but I would not want to carry or move anything heavier.

I almost bought a cheaper generator to save a few dollars, but now I am glad I spent the money on a quality generator.

Here is the link for Wise Equipmen,they were great to work with, shipped fast and provided good tracking info. I did order an extended oil fill adapter and it made adding the oil much easier.

http://www.wisesales.com/ef2000is-yamaha-generator.html

2016 A122 SXR (New)

2016 Toyota Tacoma DCLB
Mike G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 12:41 PM   #26
Site Team

it's good to know that the 2000w gennies can run the smaller a/c that the A-frames come with.
i'm sure that if the Yammie ran it, a Honda 2000 should run it also.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 12:41 PM   #27

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
If you read carefully-------------

I believe the ground stud on the generator is used when there is not a generator frame, the frame becomes the ground. If it is used with a auto disconnect switching system, the ground should be used.
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 01:09 PM   #28
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
The few thnings that I can suggest is when you head home make sure you run the carberator dry by truning off the fuel and letting it stall out by itself. That way you won't leave the fuel in the carb to build up garbage and restrict air/fuel flow next time you try to start it.

After the summer make sure you remove all the fuel in the tank. This will reduce buildup and any condensation from themp changes.

If you really a good mechanic at the end of the summer season pull the plug and clean it and squirt a little oil down into the plug hole before reinstalling the plug. This will help keep the rings lubricated on the top of the cylinder and less chance of seizing of the rings.

A few idea from me.

I have to respectfully disagree with you on several points "as a mechanic"
DO NOT run carb dry for winter storage .
DO NOT drain tank for winter storage .

Draining the items as you say introduce air and moisture to accumulate .

adding fuel stabilizer such as sea foam or stabil, I recommend sea foam and running unit till it mixes well and into carb .
then fill the tank completely full . then fogging the unit with the sea foam with a sprayer bottle .

I own 5 snowmobiles that I do this to every year. 4 carb. models and one fuel injected . The times anyone has ever had issues is when everything was drained dry .

You are asking for trouble when draining .
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 01:23 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
it's good to know that the 2000w gennies can run the smaller a/c that the A-frames come with.
i'm sure that if the Yammie ran it, a Honda 2000 should run it also.
The Honda 2000i will not run the Duo-Therm unit. There a numerous posts in the Yahoo T@B tabtrailers : T@B / TAB Travel Trailers Dutchmen Thor forum regarding the Honda. I used to own a T@B (it uses the same Duo-Therm unit) and I own the Honda 2000i. It will randomly run the unit but not for continued use.

As the weather gets hot the compressor will be cycling on and off. The Honda cannot handle the continual compressor start-up requirements. Perhaps the Yamaha can.

2014 Silverado Double Cab 1500 5.3L V8 w/3.42 Axle Ratio Tow Vehicle

Sold: 2012 Rockwood A122 Hardside Popup
daveinpickerington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 02:20 PM   #30
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveinpickerington View Post
The Honda 2000i will not run the Duo-Therm unit. There a numerous posts in the Yahoo T@B tabtrailers : T@B / TAB Travel Trailers Dutchmen Thor forum regarding the Honda. I used to own a T@B (it uses the same Duo-Therm unit) and I own the Honda 2000i. It will randomly run the unit but not for continued use.

As the weather gets hot the compressor will be cycling on and off. The Honda cannot handle the continual compressor start-up requirements. Perhaps the Yamaha can.

All that's needed is to install a delay timer to delay the fan from coming on
5 seconds or so after compressor gets started. Then it will work fine
Old 03-11-2012, 03:06 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
All that's needed is to install a delay timer to delay the fan from coming on
5 seconds or so after compressor gets started. Then it will work fine
More info (link, schematic, drawing) would be appreciated.

Old 03-11-2012, 04:55 PM   #32
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
More info (link, schematic, drawing) would be appreciated.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...mod-20541.html
Old 03-11-2012, 05:07 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Thank you. I Googled several search items without success. Please note none of your attachment links are valid. If you could fix those it would really help. It sounds like a simple enough process, but, pictures really help.

Dave

Old 03-11-2012, 05:10 PM   #34
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Thank you. I Googled several search items without success. Please note none of your attachment links are valid. If you could fix those it would really help. It sounds like a simple enough process, but, pictures really help.

Dave
ty working on it