Old 05-21-2012, 09:11 PM   #11
Mostly Harmless

The sprinkler will shoot water sideways at your camper, possibly letting water in the fridge cover/vent combos. They wouldn't leak with water coming vertically but with sideways water you'd get a false reading on its rainproof-ness, I'd think. Just my 1/50th of a dollar.

2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:41 PM   #12

Welcome to the AFrame club. You are gonna live it.

To rain test you could try a jet or other wide stream straight up and let it come down on the camper. My hose has a 'shower' setting that works well. I didn't rain test until the end of season wash, came out dry as a bone.

Reese 66065 WDH, Curt WDH Shank #17120
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Mopar 7-pin Harness
B&M Transmission Cooler (#70268)
Jeep4Two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:56 PM   #13

Rain Test

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep4Two View Post
Welcome to the AFrame club. You are gonna live it.

To rain test you could try a jet or other wide stream straight up and let it come down on the camper. My hose has a 'shower' setting that works well. I didn't rain test until the end of season wash, came out dry as a bone.
This is kind of what I have in mind...I have an oscillating sprinkler that shoots water straight up in the air and will shower water down on top of the camper just like a gentle rain, not sideways. I don't intend to drown the rig, just let enough rain like water fall on the roof to replicate a decent rain shower. I'm also not expecting an absolute water tight result either. I will not be surprised to see a drop or two leaking in here and there, after all, it is just a camper. What I don't want to see is a stream of water leaking in from window seams, roof seals, etc.
I'd much rather have it happen in my driveway than up in Colorado or Northern New Mexico while I'm out having a good time. I also intend to give the camper a really thorough inspection before I take delivery. I'll crawl under and inside and out looking for minor things...loose fittings, seal gaps, electrical function, plumbing function, wiring, propane system, etc.

Kix
Old 05-22-2012, 08:06 AM   #14

I think the rain test is fine.
The design of the a frame is pretty simple, seals are largely based on gravity forces, he roof panels creat a cap over the tops of the side walls and foam provides a rudimentary seal.... For rain falling from the sky it's fine.

I would spend some time underneath cleaning up some of the factory wiring, I think they ration zip ties at the factory so I spent some time neatening things up with wire looms and additional zip ties.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:31 AM   #15
Mostly Harmless

And another thing for all new camper owners--you should check the wheel bearings to see that they have enough grease. I think the frame-and-axle sets are supplied by a subcontractor and it may be that there's not much grease in the hubs when FR gets them. Happily, the hubs are equipped with a grease fitting so checking and, if necessary, adding grease is easy. You pop off the black plastic circle in the center of the wheel and behind it is a rubber or vinyl dust cap you can pull off to expose the grease fitting and see whether there's any visible grease in the hub. Even if you can't see it there's probably some there, the question is whether there's enough to make you feel comfortable. For me there wasn't so I bought a grease gun and some wheel bearing lube (after doing a search on the forum and in my owners manual for advice on the kind to get) and pumped enough in there so that I could be sure the amount was adequate. Don't over fill the hub or you'll put pressure on the grease seals. If they start to leak it won't be a good thing. Take care putting the dust cap back in place, then pop the plastic cover back on and you're done.
2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:03 AM   #16

Question Wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawlus View Post
I think the rain test is fine.
The design of the a frame is pretty simple, seals are largely based on gravity forces, he roof panels creat a cap over the tops of the side walls and foam provides a rudimentary seal.... For rain falling from the sky it's fine.

I would spend some time underneath cleaning up some of the factory wiring, I think they ration zip ties at the factory so I spent some time neatening things up with wire looms and additional zip ties.
Forgive my ignorance, but what are wire looms? I have seen the split plastic corrugated tubes that hold wiring together and serve to protect it a bit from moisture and abrasions. Is this what you are referring to?

The axle grease and fittings are on my check list, thanks for the suggestion! This information is very helpful, I am a newbie and I need to learn about these things.
Thanks to everyone for your help and assistance! Any other ideas/suggestions would be much appreciated.

BTW...we looked at A-liners and Chalet A frame campers. We chose a Rockwood A frame because it seemed to represent a LOT more value for the money. We felt that A-liners and especially Chalets were OK, but were over priced compared to the Rockwood line. I was a bit concerned at first with the exposed wood underneath the Rockwood, but our salesman said that it is a one piece floor made of marine grade plywood and is sealed against moisture. Have any of you folks had problems with flooring due to moisture? I have considered taking our camper to have it undercoated before we hit the road with it, is this a bad idea?

Many Thanks!

Kix
Old 05-22-2012, 10:24 AM   #17

Don't undercoat the flooring, it's not recommended by the factory, while it seems to make sense that coating it would protect it, it would actually rot it faster because it would trap moisture and limit it from breathing, drying, etc.

The corrugated plastic slit tubes are wire looms,yes.

If you are concerned about moisture, I tape down a Damp-Rid container to the floor when it's in storage and empty the accumulated liquid before I take it in trips. Works well to keep the interior from getting musty or damp.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:34 AM   #18
Rockwood Premier A126

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehamguy1 View Post
And another thing for all new camper owners--you should check the wheel bearings to see that they have enough grease.
Good suggestion!
Also, check the tire pressure in all the tires including the spare. We found that ours was low after we pulled it 200 miles home from the dealership.

Deb

Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where Nature may heal and cheer and give strength to body and soul alike._ John Muir
gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 06:14 AM   #19

Welcome and Congrats on the new camper.

Tags
led pad