Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-13-2012, 06:23 PM   #1

New member with a Toyota Tacoma v A127TH???

We have decided on the A127TH because most of our camping involves riding in the mountains on the quad, an Arctic Cat 650. I have no doubt my 2003 Tacoma 4x4 extra cab can handle the Camper. My concern is the camper loaded with the quad.

I have installed a Recce frame hitch and was wondering if beefing up the rear shocks, adding a tow stabilizer, airbags would allow me to safely tow the camper loaded with the 4wheeler.

Also the truck has a body lift, will this affect towing in any way? Not a problem with the drift boat, but that onlyweighs a few hundred pounds...

Thank you all...
dwjk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:26 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

whats your truck/camper and atv specs ?
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:38 PM   #3

Truck max tow weight is 5k
ATV GVW +/_ 760 lbs
Camper GVW +/- 3900

I have been unable to determine the max hitch weight. The owners manual is useless (The vehicle was designed for passengers and groceries... anything else you drag behind will falll off and you will die....), the sticker inside of the door only gives trailer weight. Does a frame hitch differ from a bumper hitch as far as weight goes?

dj
dwjk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:16 PM   #4

Are you sure it's a 3900 gvw that seems low. But if it is then I would guess your tongue weight would be around 500 lbs.
2014 Honda Pioneer 700-4
2004 Yamaha Grizzly 660
wyo700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyo700 View Post
Are you sure it's a 3900 gvw that seems low. But if it is then I would guess your tongue weight would be around 500 lbs.
He is correct. It's an A-frame he is talking about,

A127TH - Dry Hitch Weight 349 lbs. (158 kg) Axle Weight 1,803 lbs. (818 kg) Unloaded Vehicle Weight 2,152 lbs. (976 kg) GVWR 3,849 lbs. (1,746 kg)

I found this info on a Tacoma forum for truck specs:

Gen 1 Trucks, and their options and tow ratings.
Gen 1 Tacoma (1995.5-2004)

Gen 1 trucks came with three engine options.

The 2.4L I4 (available only in the 5 lug 2wd (non pre-runner) trucks)
142 hp @ 5,000 rpm
160 lb.-ft. @ 4,000 rpm
Max. Towing capacity 3,500 lbs.
Max. Tongue weight 350 lbs.

The 2.7L I4 (Standard in all pre-runners and in 4x4 regular and xtra-cab trucks)
150 hp @ 4,800 rpm
177 lb.-ft. @ 4,000 rpm
Max. Towing capacity 3,500 lbs.
Max. Tongue weight 350 lbs.

The 3.4L V6 (Standard on the s-runner, and 4x4 double cab, and available in xtra-cab and double cab pre-runners as well as the xtra-cab 4x4)
190 hp @ 4,800 rpm
220 lb.-ft. @ 3,600 rpm
Max. Towing capacity 5,000 lbs. (*except s-runner 3,500 lbs.)
Max. Tongue weight 500 lbs. (*except s-runner 350 lbs.)

The Gen 1 trucks were NEVER available with a “towing package”

A relatively small number of trucks did come from the factory with a Toyota class III receiver hitch and 4-flat wiring. The trucks that were factory equipped like this also came with a different pitched fan to pull slightly more air through the radiator.

Other trucks had the class III hitch and 4-flat wiring installed at the dealer. These trucks do not generally have the alternate fan unless the customer specifically requested it.

To tow most things safely, these trucks will need some additional aftermarket parts installed such as a brake controller, and an automatic transmission cooler (obviously only if you have an automatic transmission. We’ll cover that later.
BC Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:57 PM   #6

Sorry forgot to add that the way I see it it's the tongue weight that's the problem . If the max is only 500lb you'll be way over once the quad is loaded on the front. 349lbs. + 760lbs. = 1109lbs.+/-
BC Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:43 PM   #7

dwjk911- First of all, WELCOME! Glad to see another A Frame toy hauler owner in the crowd! I have Forest River's 2012 Flagstaff version of your camper with the gear deck. I initially boight it with the idea that I could pull with my 3.2 V6 SUV......it really surprised me to discover I needed a Class IV hitch when I picked it up. I was really glad we brought the F150, which has a Class IV hitch on it...just had to buy a new stinger and the larger ball.

My trailer's deck has a 600 lb weight limit. I can easily pack on a few hundred lbs with dog crates/equipment, generator and other little things when I head out to my dog shows...DH decided if we take two DP motorcycles(KLR650 & XT250), it was best to pull behind in a cargo trailer and camp in the pop up truck camper...but if motorcycles stay home (or just one comes along) then the FR camper is our first choice.

I love how easy the A Frame tows..it tracks great and waay cool to be able to see the road not only with tow mirrors but also in the rear view mirror! LOL

Look forward to reading about your adventures! Dont forget to post the pictures...we love those action photos of our campers and set ups!

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:16 AM   #8

Welcome to the Forum and Congrats on the new A-Frame.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:32 AM   #9

I have an A127TH and pulling with the current Gen Tacoma. The problems I see would be hitch weight and deck weight. I think the deck capacity is only 650 lbs, so it looks like your Arctic Cat will be over the limit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by handbuilder View Post
My trailer's deck has a 600 lb weight limit. I can easily pack on a few hundred lbs with dog crates/equipment, generator and other little things when I head out to my dog shows...DH decided if we take two DP motorcycles(KLR650 & XT250), it was best to pull behind in a cargo trailer and camp in the pop up truck camper...but if motorcycles stay home (or just one comes along) then the FR camper is our first choice.
I know the KLR is a little heavy but I plan to put a WR426 (street legal for DP and motard version) and an XT250 on the deck. I'm currently looking to buy the XT250 for my girlfriend. I've also had my girlfriend's Yamaha FZ6R on the deck. Hmm, I think I have a pic of it somewhere.
IndyRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:20 AM   #10

IndyRC - the KLR w/the XT is alot of weight and takes up alot of room...Id rather we buy another additional smaller bike for him to haul tandem on the deck...sigh...would enjoy seeing your pics!

BTW - Is your 127 a 2013? My friend liked mine so much, she bought the 2013 Rockwood model, her cabinets are slightly diff (she has a drawer under her microwave where I have a deep cabinet with a door that pulls open at the inside trailer entry.) her stereo is also diff model, upholstery pattern not the same and has 15" tires versus my 14". They are also a tad heavier and now it sounds like the deck can also hold a little more weight? She paid little more than I did (and I got the screen room) so I wonder if the cost for these toyhaulers is increasing? (MSRP was 17k when I bought mine earlier this year... but in the end, I paid under 12.5k ...yahoo - paid it off a couple months ago...oh what a feeling LOL)

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 11:10 AM   #11

Check out Timbren overload springs, but with a suspension lift kit you may have to add modifications....makes hauling.g extra to.fue weight a snap.
wickedrevs56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 04:29 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by handbuilder View Post
IndyRC - the KLR w/the XT is alot of weight and takes up alot of room...Id rather we buy another additional smaller bike for him to haul tandem on the deck...sigh...would enjoy seeing your pics!

BTW - Is your 127 a 2013? My friend liked mine so much, she bought the 2013 Rockwood model, her cabinets are slightly diff (she has a drawer under her microwave where I have a deep cabinet with a door that pulls open at the inside trailer entry.) her stereo is also diff model, upholstery pattern not the same and has 15" tires versus my 14". They are also a tad heavier and now it sounds like the deck can also hold a little more weight? She paid little more than I did (and I got the screen room) so I wonder if the cost for these toyhaulers is increasing? (MSRP was 17k when I bought mine earlier this year... but in the end, I paid under 12.5k ...yahoo - paid it off a couple months ago...oh what a feeling LOL)
Yeah I have a DR650 as well and I doubt I would put that on the deck with a second bike. I think when we haul 2 street bikes that I will put one on the deck and one in the bed of the truck.

And to answer your questions: Yes we have the 2013 and it has the drawer under the microwave and 15" rims. The deck does hold 650lbs compared to the 600 it sounds like for yours. We also got the screen room (we love it) and paid under 12.5K.

To the OP, IIRC Rockwood has a canvas popup that has a much larger deck on it that holds 1300lbs. That might be a better option for your 4 wheeler. I wish they offered that deck on the Aframe. We fell in love with ours as soon as we saw it, but were a little disheartened when we found out the deck weight limit because we knew it wouldn't hold 2 full size street bikes. After much discussion we went for it anyway
IndyRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:45 AM   #13

im not sure it would be the deck i would be concerned about but the sag in the back end of the taco ...
leafers could help .. but you are still putting a tremendous strain on the back end of a midsize truck if you decide to haul this load around, which could effect the front braking ability of the truck ect.
Another thing to think about in the scenario is frame rust. I not sure where you live, but you should have the frame checked on your vehicle before you go any further. I know a year or so back, Toyota was replacing frames on these trucks under warrenty due to major problems with the frames rusting through .. (breaking on garage lifts and during service).

D-mo