Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2012, 01:15 PM   #1

New owner of Rockwood A128S

Hi all:

After looking extensively at travel trailers, toy haulers (I take a dirtbike camping with me), tent pop up campers (including spending a windy night in one!), and ALiners and Chalets, I have just bought a Rockwood A128S.

I was ready to buy a slightly used Aliner expedition for $17,000 (it was $20,000 new) - when I stumbled upon the FR's. When I saw the price, and comparable features and good quality, I was sold!

I love the idea of the folding a-frame. Benefits of a regular travel trailer but half the weight and tows like a dream, plus I can get it to just about any campsite. I do a lot of dry camping in the forest, desert, etc. I am not married, and no kids, so this is perfect for me (and a friend or two).

Only concerns I have: I just realized no gray tank on these, so I guess I need a bucket/container. Also, I don't have a gen, so I am going to look into solar for keeping battery charged each day.

I pick up this weekend, I'll post some pics of my first trip soon.

Do they come with a porta potty? Dealer was confused, but website says one is included?
maniac28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 01:42 PM   #2

Congrats..you made a good choice with the FR. I also looked at the Aliners and there was no comparison. It is more than enough room for 1...We fit the DW and I, and 3 small kids in ours sometimes.

Yes, the units are supposed to come with a porta potty (I believe mine was a Travel Loo 2.5 or something like that). I am not up on the solar thing quite yet but there are plenty of people around to help with about anything.

LM

Oh..and
loganmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 02:36 PM   #3

Welcome and congrats on the new camper. I also have the A128S and it's a great camper. Just got back today from a three camping trip, it sure went fast. No pic's, forgot my camera. The porta poddy that comes with the unit is a little small and since I have a bigger one, I use it instead. For gray water, I use a 7 gallon tote I got from Walmart and have three others to carry water when I go out and none is available.
Congrats again on the new camper.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:00 PM   #4
Flagstaff 22FBS

Welcome to the family!
There are a lot of helpful happy campers in this forum. Tons of posts to read here that may answer many of the questions that you didn't know you had. Please ask if you don't understand something. Above all, post pics when you get 'er home!

Deb

Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where Nature may heal and cheer and give strength to body and soul alike._ John Muir
gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 03:43 PM   #5

Congrats and welcome to the forum ...
Your unit will come with a winky-dinky plastic toilet type of thingy ... used only by my lovely wife during the dark hours. You can route your grey water into a storage container to off-load it .. no big thing ... but up here in Canada, we use bio degradable soaps and run it to the ground .. no big thing up here.
These trailers are totally self sufficient on solar/battries and propane, thats why we bought our unit. I will check in if you require more info on the solar end, and doubling up on your battries ...as that is what i did ..

d-mo
Old 04-17-2012, 04:55 PM   #6
Mostly Harmless

I'll add our welcome too. You're gonna love the camper!
2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 06:24 PM   #7

Welcome aboard Maniac. There's lots help here.

Quote:
Only concerns I have: I just realized no gray tank on these, so I guess I need a bucket/container.
This is what I use for gray water: Amazon.com: Reliance Products Hydroller 8 Gallon Wheeled Water Container: Sports & Outdoors

Quote:
Do they come with a porta potty? Dealer was confused, but website says one is included?
Mine did. I believe it is standard equipment.

Dave

2014 Silverado Double Cab 1500 5.3L V8 w/3.42 Axle Ratio Tow Vehicle

Sold: 2012 Rockwood A122 Hardside Popup
daveinpickerington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:29 PM   #8

You are gonna love it. Welcome to the AFrame club! Read read read this forum, lots of great stuff here. Go back at least a year in this sub forum and you'll glean lots of tricks and tips for the AFrames.

Regarding gray water. I considered a PVC pipe mod to catch my gray water but have instead decided to go with a pair of Reliance Aquatainers (7 gallon) hooked together to give a total of 14 gallons of capacity. Easy enough to take the full one to the bath house or dump station (or both for that matter). Here's a pic of them hooked up: http://inlinethumb32.webshots.com/47...500x500Q85.jpg

This setup is often called the Oz and Us Aquatainer solution. Google will yield good results if you want details in setup and fittings. This solution is a fraction of the cost of say a 20 gallon Barker Blue tote.

Enjoy and I look forward to pics of your first trip!
Reese 66065 WDH, Curt WDH Shank #17120
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Mopar 7-pin Harness
B&M Transmission Cooler (#70268)
Jeep4Two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:46 PM   #9

Wow, you guys rock, thanks for the great responses! I cam tell I have joined a great group of owners. Great ideas for the gray water, thanks!

I will probably have a few more questions when I get it home. I am a first time trailer owner, recovering tent camper...
Old 04-24-2012, 04:22 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by maniac28 View Post
Hi all:

After looking extensively at travel trailers, toy haulers (I take a dirtbike camping with me), tent pop up campers (including spending a windy night in one!), and ALiners and Chalets, I have just bought a Rockwood A128S.

I was ready to buy a slightly used Aliner expedition for $17,000 (it was $20,000 new) - when I stumbled upon the FR's. When I saw the price, and comparable features and good quality, I was sold!

I love the idea of the folding a-frame. Benefits of a regular travel trailer but half the weight and tows like a dream, plus I can get it to just about any campsite. I do a lot of dry camping in the forest, desert, etc. I am not married, and no kids, so this is perfect for me (and a friend or two).

Only concerns I have: I just realized no gray tank on these, so I guess I need a bucket/container. Also, I don't have a gen, so I am going to look into solar for keeping battery charged each day.

Nice unit Mr. maniac28!
wyliedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:07 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyliedog View Post
Nice unit Mr. maniac28!
Hey! Who let you in here? Haha.

Forest River makes some awfully nice toy haulers. I came close to getting their 18 foot model with front bed. It would be plenty of room for you, Carmela and the dogs. Plus, I could use your bathroom, since mine doesn't have one...
Old 04-24-2012, 06:51 PM   #12

Congrats and happy camping. I am also waiting to pick my Aframe up the first week of May.
Cattledog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:13 PM   #13

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new camper!
2012 reserved/camped (17/4)

RonLynnJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:17 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by maniac28 View Post
Hi all:

Hi,
You should be very happy with the Rockwood. It's a really nice looking trailer. For many of the reasons you stated I almost brought an Aliner myself.

A year later I saw a Rockwood at the RV show and liked it much more than the Aliner.

Take care, Terie

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 12:47 PM   #15

Had a storm come in last night so decided to sleep in the trailer. I can't believe how quiet and warm this thing is, compared to a tent trailer (or a tent!). It was gusty winds outside, I didn't really hear the wind at all. Sleeping on cushions is not as good as a real mattress, but it beats the heck out of a cot, sleeping pad or air bed thing.

My first real trip is next weekend. can't wait.

I know this is a stupid question, but when you are going to a campground with no hook ups, do you fill water tank before you leave, or do you count on the fact that there will be a hose spigot somewhere at the campground? or, take a bucket and fill the tank manually?
Old 04-26-2012, 01:26 PM   #16
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by maniac28
I know this is a stupid question, but when you are going to a campground with no hook ups, do you fill water tank before you leave, or do you count on the fact that there will be a hose spigot somewhere at the campground? or, take a bucket and fill the tank manually?
You'll get all of those responses here I think but I'll hazard a guess that most will drive with the tank empty and count on finding a place in or near the campground to fill up. That's my strategy; that way I don't have to tow the extra 150+ pounds of water.
A couple of members use the blue 7 gallon Aquatainers and fill their tanks from those. I've heard of using an Aquatainer and a 12v. pump to transfer the water into the camper's tank. I use two Aquatainers from Walmart, one to run the sink drain into, the other for extra fresh water.
2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 01:38 PM   #17

I haul empty and fill at the CG using my hose on their potable water supply. Too much extra weight to haul for no reason.

I have hauled water once, but it was a boon docking trip where I knew there was not chance of filling at the site. Even then I only took about a half tank (just enough for brushing teeth and washing hands/face etc).
Reese 66065 WDH, Curt WDH Shank #17120
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Mopar 7-pin Harness
B&M Transmission Cooler (#70268)
Jeep4Two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 02:44 PM   #18

If I know I'll be using water at the trailer, I travel with a full tank of "soft" water from home. I have been to many campgounds through the years that have iron in the water. The iron stains can be a real pain to clean up.

Most of the time I just carry drinking water and use the campground facilities so I don't need water at the trailer. I normally use disposable plates and plasticware for eating.

2014 Silverado Double Cab 1500 5.3L V8 w/3.42 Axle Ratio Tow Vehicle

Sold: 2012 Rockwood A122 Hardside Popup
daveinpickerington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 04:03 PM   #19

As others have said, if I know there is water at the CG, I go empty. If I know there isn't or unsure, I will fill about 3/4 full and take 2-4 Aquatainors for personal use and to add to the tank if needed. I also use paper products and plastics as much as possible, I hate doing dishes. Now for the Catch 22, I went camping two weeks ago thinking that it was too early for the CG to have the water on, so I filled the water tank, got to the CG and the water was turned on. Last year this CG turned the water on too early and we got a hard freeze and they broke quite a few water lines. They are now all fixed.
Good Luck on your campout.
Old 04-26-2012, 05:34 PM   #20
Flagstaff 22FBS

We don't like towing the extra weight either. If a water/electric site is not available, we fill at the community spigot at the campground before going to our site. Often it is located near the shower house. If a place to fill your tank is not available, I think the above suggestions would work well. Call ahead so you know what you are getting into and can be prepared.

More advice: Don't use a garden hose to fill your tank, especially if you plan on drinking the water. For some reason drinking the water after filling with a garden hose leaves the "furry teeth" feeling in your mouth. You may think I'm kidding, but it really does.

If you don't have one already, and can afford it, invest in a white RV drinking water hose. A 10' will run you under $10, and, while 25' is more versatile, will be more like $15. Go for the 25' if you can.

And for goodness sake, please don't use the hose provided at the dump station to fill your tank! Think about where that thing has been.

And of course, have a great time!
Deb

Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where Nature may heal and cheer and give strength to body and soul alike._ John Muir
gregory is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a128, a128s