Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2013, 09:35 PM   #1

New Owners... We Think

We have been following this A-Frame forum since a couple of months before we ordered our Rockwood A122s in January from a local Rockwood dealer. We feel like we know many of you and have been helped with many newbie questions. The new camper arrived a couple of weeks ago and we went Wednesday for our "walk through" and really looked forward to learning how the systems worked, since we have never owned a camper before, although we have tented for years. The dealer tech was unfamiliar with the hardsides and told us it was the first one they were selling. The two of us together, using all of our energy & considerable weight were able to force the latches into place after some persuading with rubber mallets & pry bars. Needless to say, this extremely tight fit between the sides and the roof was unacceptable in a new RV. My wife had opened up a Rockwood A frame at the Harrisburg RV show last year and that is when she (meaning we) decided this was the camper for us. It opened and latched easily. Not so on Wednesday. We left without our RV & the dealer was ordering new latches & plates since ours are now all scratched from being forced into such a tight fit. A Forest River rep is scheduled to be at the dealer on Tuesday & we plan to speak with him/her about this issue. My question for you A-frame veterans: has anyone had issues like this with a new unit? Shouldn't the latches be snug, but not forced? There's no way my wife will be able to set this up by herself. Is it possible the wrong size weatherstripping (too thick) is keeping the sides from lining up properly with the roof? Could the frame be bent or roof hinges put on in wrong place? I'm guessing the FR rep will know pretty quickly, but wondering if anyone here ever had a similar problem.
Gomer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:43 PM   #2

Single lady here with a new A122S..Have camped once this spring and have had mine up and down several times in the driveway...The only time I had any difficulty was when the camper was sitting very uneven. As long as the bubble on the front is within the circle...I have had no trouble. I love love love my new camper...upgraded from a canvas popup...I feel like I am camping in a Castle !!!
onaqwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:44 PM   #3

Hi Gomer, and welcome aboard.
At first blush, it sounds to me like they had the stabilizers down too far and unevenly. That will twist the frame out of shape and can make it difficult to line things up properly.
A lot of A-frame vets recommend opening the thing up and then lowering your stabilizers.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:22 PM   #4

HI Gomer!

Congrats on your new purchase! I am 5'4" woman who frequently uses our Flagstaff TH by myself. I agree with Don - The only times I have had trouble with a latch was when I set stabilizers down and then popped it up. The front passenger latch is the one that will not close easily if the trailer is off. I asked my service tech when I brought it in for annual check if that was a common issue & he said it was. My DH & service tech both agree that due to trailer design/type, it was understandably going to torque/twist and important to be level.

Typical set up procedure is once trailer is in desired spot, unhook from vehicle & level front to back. Then I pop it up (I use a small folding step stool to gain a few inches for better push-it-up leverage). I initially push up the handle on the right side and then scott the stool to tje left and lock it in place. Once walls are up and latches secured, then I set down the stabilizers, ensuring I am level side to side.

My husband is 6'2" and easily pushes up one side only for set up. I dont mind using the stool - it makes for fast and easy set up for someone as 'tall' as me. haha

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:31 PM   #5
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by handbuilder View Post
Once walls are up and latches secured, then I set down the stabilizers, ensuring I am level side to side.
So, take this for what it's worth as I know next to nothing about the A-frame campers other than gawking at them at the RV shows thinking they look wicked cool...

On most RVs, the stabilizers are only there for stabilizing, not for leveling. To level side to side, you should drive up onto boards or Lego blocks or use a Bal Leveler. Supposedly you can tweak your frame if you use the stabilizers in this way.

But again, I don't know a-frame campers at all.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:37 PM   #6

AHH...I didnt make it clear - I sometimes forget we must be extremely concise in what/how we type and express thoughts.

I dont use the stabilizers to level , that is what the Bal (or Lynx blocks) is for - I MEANT that I set the stabilizers down AFTER ensuring I am level side to side. I am going to blame the Filipino part of me for not clearly conveying my thoughts... LOL .....But a good reminder to all anyway. :-) Thanks, Coach E!

1967 Newell Motorcoach
Old 05-10-2013, 11:43 PM   #7
Always Learning

The written word is such a fickle... thing.

Ok, never mind me. Back to my non-a-frame life.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:49 PM   #8

No way - you better not disappear..A Frame or not. You offer great advice and thought!!

1967 Newell Motorcoach
Old 05-11-2013, 09:20 AM   #9

Thanks to all for the quick responses. Once again, I learned much from this forum.
One of the 3 dealer service techs assisting us suggested the leveling may be the issue. The stabilizers were not down and we never did try dropping them or checking the level of the unit. Funny, I fully intend to put a level in the unit once we take possession. It may be the level issue, but it was on the asphalt lot and looked pretty level to me & the techs. U kind of doubt that it would have to be perfectly level to latch properly? Maybe the FR rep will point out something simple & make us all look like fools and we will all learn, at the cost of a frustrating weeks delay.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:05 AM   #10

Popup before doing any leveling. You can even popup before disconnecting from the tow vehicle. The frame is lightweight, so it's very easy to torque it a bit and that could make popping up more difficult, get the sides up, the roof locked and the door in place then level, then you can put down the stabs just until they firmly touch the earth, you'll see if you are actually raising the corner with the stabilizer, that's too far.

Locking in the roof should be firm, but not difficult, should not require a mallet. New gaskets may need breaking in, have someone push outward in the wall from the inside as you latch may make it easier.

Don't freak out about leveling, I think there's a tendency to take it too precisely. Close enough is usually good enough and you don't need to spend all sorts of money in levels. A small bubble level is fine, take a few measurements from a few places -the tongue, the kitchen counter, or the floor by the fridge both ways, should be good enough, doesn't need to be dead on balls accurate. I use a level app for the iPhone. Lol.
Old 05-11-2013, 02:00 PM   #11

The first AFrame I looked at on the lot had one interior latch that would not close. I tried and the salesman tried. Without forcing it, it was stuck open. While it is sad that you didn't get to take your camper home, it is good that the dealer is working to solve the problem.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 02:04 PM   #12

Set Up Difficulty

Hi! I have a Flagstaff 12 SC. I bought it New. Never had a problem setting up until recently. As the others have mentioned, the latches should be snug but not hard to close. My problem was the camper was not level enough. Once I adjusted the jacks it went together perfectly. Also you need to make sure that the roof panels have been completely elevated. Once you get this straightened out, you will love your camper.
desertwilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 04:42 PM   #13

The wind pin (alignment bolt?) on the kitchen side wall of our 128s used to give me fits on occasion. Now, I set the the front driver side stabilizer by itself before bringing up the roof and walls. This works for us every time.

Sent from our campsite lookin out over scenic Payne Lake @ Talladega National Forest in Alabama.
DGrissom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:44 PM   #14

Boy with all the solved problems explained on this forum I should have no problems with mine as long as I remember all of these helpful hints.
gt40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:57 PM   #15

We picked up our new A122s today and had no set up problems. You guys nailed the alignment problem: failure to level the unit first (operator error, I think this is called). Once we got it close to level & stabilizers down; it set like a dream, or at least like the video instruction, which would have been wise to view first. Lessons learned by this owner & dealer techs. Lol.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:18 PM   #16
Mostly Harmless

And now you're set for years of fun. Congrats on your new camper!
2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 01:56 PM   #17

Where's the pictures? Hows it going with the new trailer?

1967 Newell Motorcoach