Old 06-10-2014, 10:31 AM   #11
Thanks so much for your informative post and the great photos. We are now on our first trip in the new A-Frame. We love it. Super cozy and no leakage from the windows thank goodness, but we are not in the snow or having much precipitation. We had leakage under the sink and, as you point out, the use of the sink is a real advantage. We rigged up something after visiting the Hardware store and will see if we can get it properly repaired when we get home. We are currently in the Grand Tetons and heading up to Yellowstone today. We are wondering what you thought of the campgrounds there.

Herenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 11:55 AM   #12
Congratulations and have fun with the A frame! It is cozy and very glad you're not having any leaking. I bet the Tetons were wonderful and Jackson Lake is thawed out.

I like the Yellowstone campgrounds but I have not stayed at all of them.
My favorite is Tower Fall but it was closed through much of my trip this year. Though it doesn't designate at ok for trailers, once you get past the first part of the entrance road I think it would be ok. The location gives you great access to the two main wildlife areas. There's a good chance you'll get bears wandering through the site and will hear wolves howling at night.

I also love Madison campground. The setting is great and it's in a good location. But, it is a bit far off from the traditional wildlife areas (though there have been some spectacular wildlife opportunities on the west side of the park so far this year) . If you're into thermals, it's probably the best location with fairly quick access to Old Faithful, Grand Prismatic and Artists Paint Pots. There are plenty of pull through spaces and it has a water filling station (but no hookups).

Norris is a very nice campground as well that does have spaces that easily fit the A frame. It is very centrally located and also right on the Gibbon river if you want to fish (it was severly overflowing while I was there). Again, no hookups.

Mammoth is nice as well but it is right next to the North entrance road so it gets busy and it's in a more arid environment and I prefer the pines. Still, it's nice. No hookups here either but plenty of pull through sites.
Fishing Bridge RV park, which I've never stayed at, does have hookups. It is pretty far off on the east side but still not a bad location.

At this time of year you really want to get to a campground as early as possible as they fill up quickly.

rwarrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 12:57 PM   #13
Thank you so much. We were a bit last minute because we recently got the trailer, but we are thinking of a night or two at Madison to see all the thermals with our son, but and will we check out Tower Falls. We weren't sure if we could get the A-frame in there, but we might try it. The Tetons are amazing and not too crowded the first two weeks of June. Saw moose at our Gros Ventre site, but are hoping to see more in Yellowstone. Thanks again for sharing your experiences (and to all the other posters on this site for the same!)

Herenthere is offline   Reply With Quote

frame, a-frame