Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2012, 06:59 AM   #1

Question New Rockwood A122, pickup

Hi: My husband and I are picking up our new Rockwood A122 hardside popup next week. I was just wandering what should we be checking for as we do the walk through? Has anyone had any problems with theirs?
I did read about the guy that blew the tire. That was scarry. Might just upgrade the tires in a year or so. We have previously owned an Aliner Sport which we really liked, but felt it was to small for 2 people and 2 dogs. Our dealer who sold us the Aliner has now switched over to these
Rockwoods, telling us this is a better built trailer than the Aliner. I really hope he is right, and not just feeding us a line.
Laura June is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:24 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura June View Post
Hi: My husband and I are picking up our new Rockwood A122 hardside popup next week. I was just wandering what should we be checking for as we do the walk through? Has anyone had any problems with theirs?
I did read about the guy that blew the tire. That was scarry. Might just upgrade the tires in a year or so. We have previously owned an Aliner Sport which we really liked, but felt it was to small for 2 people and 2 dogs. Our dealer who sold us the Aliner has now switched over to these
Rockwoods, telling us this is a better built trailer than the Aliner. I really hope he is right, and not just feeding us a line.
Hey there. I have gotten lots of help in here so I'll try and return the favor. You dealer is correct. The fit and finish of the FR A-frame is far superior to the aliner. I looked at both and there is NO comparison. I believe FR's buying power and capacity enable it to build a far superior product for much less. I would rather have FR backing my purchase than Aliner as well. Just my .02.

I have a couple of threads within the past week about buying and taking delivery that have alot of good info. I had very few problems and the experience was a good one. If you have purchased an A-frame before, you already have a leg up on what to look for.

Good luck with your walk through. Personally, I found my Flagstaff A-frame to be enough space for myself, wife, and 3 small children. We will mainly use the camper for sleeping only and when the kids get bigger, they can pitch a tent like I did for 30+ years.

LM
loganmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:47 AM   #3
Mostly Harmless

I was originally looking for a Chalet or an Aliner, but couldn't find any that weren't priced in the stratosphere. Plus as I researched them I found they seemed to have three chronic problems: floors rotting out, frames sagging in the middle, and doors falling through their frames while in transport (due to the frames having bent or sagged). Maybe those problems have been solved on the newer models, and I still think Aliners and Chalets are cool--I even belong to a forum for owners of them (they let FR A-framers in, they're very broad-minded).

That said, I'm really happy to have my A128, especially at thousands of dollars less than the other brands. You'll enjoy your Rockwood. And BTW, they're identical to the Flagstaff brand, so you'll see both kinds referred to almost interchangeably, at least as far as features go.

Since you're in Pella and we live only 45 miles away, let's hope we run into each other in campgrounds. Try Jester Park, at the NW edge of Saylorville Lake. We might try one of the parks around Red Rock. Any favorites?
2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 02:03 PM   #4
Flagstaff 22FBS

Our dealer who sold us the Aliner has now switched over to these
We looked a Aliners before taking a 232 mile trip to view the FR A frame series a dealer had on his lot. One look comparing build, standard equipment, finishes and price & we were sold. We purchased & brought home our A126 from the sales lot that evening. A week or so later, after we got our Rockwood home, we took another peek at the Aliners and there was no doubt that we made the right choice. No regrets here

BTW, welcome to the forum!

Deb

Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where Nature may heal and cheer and give strength to body and soul alike._ John Muir
gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 04:50 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Hi: My husband and I are picking up our new Rockwood A122 hardside popup next week.
I did read about the guy that blew the tire. That was scarry. Might just upgrade the tires in a year or so.
Congrats on the camper !!!

There is a current thread discussing TPMSs here: http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tor-20939.html

Something like that might put your mind to rest. As stated in that thread, I believe that many so called "blowouts" are actually just tires that leak down. With low air pressure, the tire heats up, and may blow at that point....but also may run flat and shred. To look at a tire like that, you would think it had blown out.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:17 PM   #6

Hi Hamguy1 and everyone else thanks for the positive comments on the RW, makes me feel like I made the right decision. We have several nice camp grounds around Pella. We like Roberts Creek West. It's not on the water, but up in mature trees. Also around the lake is North Overlook, Wallashock, and Whitebreast. The favorite one for most people is Howell Station, which is below the dam.
I have another question to all of you helpful people. What is the difference between a RW hardside popup, and a Flaggstaff hardside popup? They look exactly alike to me.
Laura June is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:22 PM   #7
Mostly Harmless

They're identical except for the name and model numbers. I've no idea why FR would make two identical lines. If they're differently priced, I haven't heard.
2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:31 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
What is the difference between a RW hardside popup, and a Flaggstaff hardside popup? They look exactly alike to me.
Except for color schemes, they probably are identical, and come off of the same line.

Have 2 brands out there allows Forest River to have 2 dealers in the same vicinity.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:24 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
Except for color schemes, they probably are identical, and come off of the same line.

Have 2 brands out there allows Forest River to have 2 dealers in the same vicinity.
Exactly. many RV manufacturers do this. FR does it with many of their RVs, Winnebago does it, Jayco does with Starcraft and so it goes.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
a122, buying advice