Old 07-27-2013, 03:31 PM   #11
Retread Popup Owner

Thanks all for the advice! I should say that I'm towing with an '09 Explorer. It's been so long since I've towed a popup that I had to remind myself that I never used or needed a WDH before the hybrid. So, why would I need one now? I'm going to tow it the 1 1/2 hours home from the dealer without it and see how she rolls, and decide from there. I suspect that I'll be listing a WDH on Ebay.

Camping Photos
Camper Mods
Wojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 03:30 PM   #12

Nice trailer. I have the similar camper with a slightly different wrapper. Welcome to the forum.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 03:42 PM   #13
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wojo View Post
Thanks all for the advice! I should say that I'm towing with an '09 Explorer. It's been so long since I've towed a popup that I had to remind myself that I never used or needed a WDH before the hybrid. So, why would I need one now? I'm going to tow it the 1 1/2 hours home from the dealer without it and see how she rolls, and decide from there. I suspect that I'll be listing a WDH on Ebay.
I might hook up a couple of friction sway bars just for added peace of mind, but that would be about all.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:20 AM   #14
Retread Popup Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooneil View Post
Nice trailer. I have the similar camper with a slightly different wrapper. Welcome to the forum.
Thanks for the welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
I might hook up a couple of friction sway bars just for added peace of mind, but that would be about all.
Peace of mind is a wonderful thing. I'm going to see if the dealer will trade me even up...a friction sway bar for my weight distribution setup on the hybrid. It'd be easier for both of us if I just left it with the hybrid, so I'm hoping he'll bite.

Camping Photos
Camper Mods
Old 07-29-2013, 08:26 AM   #15

I have a 2014 Rockwood A122BH and pull it with a 2013 Ford Explorer with Towing Package and don't have any add on Weight Distribution Hitch. I have had no problems towing it and have gone camping with it 18 nights so far since purchasing the unit in late June.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:00 AM   #16
Retread Popup Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RascalRv View Post
I have a 2014 Rockwood A122BH and pull it with a 2013 Ford Explorer with Towing Package and don't have any add on Weight Distribution Hitch. I have had no problems towing it and have gone camping with it 18 nights so far since purchasing the unit in late June.
First, congrats on the camper. Eighteen nights since late June...sounds like you're getting some darn good use out of it.

I was thinking of using my existing WDH primarily because it has a built in friction sway bar. Why buy something when I already have it, right? I see now that it'd be overkill, and wouldn't be sized right for the camper. So, if I find I need a sway bar I'll get one...and not worry about WDH. With your experience I'm feeling good about how she'll track down the road.

Camping Photos
Camper Mods
Old 07-29-2013, 09:18 AM   #17

Enjoy your new camper as well. I do like mine because it is easy to tow and good with the gas mileage. The true test is when I leave this Saturday to head out to the 2013 Forest River FROG Rally that is being held in Indiana August 4th through the 10th. I will be using it for 8 consecutive nights. Over 700 Forest River RVer's will be attending with all brands of Forest River RV's.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:33 AM   #18
Mostly Harmless

In 3 years and over 18,000 miles without either a WDH or an anti-sway bar, there's never been even a hint of trouble towing my A128. I have an old half-ton pickup that's pulled it on some terrible roads and zoomed with it down interstates; no sway or sag. I think you'll be pleased with your new Aframe!
2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:29 AM   #19
Retread Popup Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RascalRv View Post
Enjoy your new camper as well. I do like mine because it is easy to tow and good with the gas mileage. The true test is when I leave this Saturday to head out to the 2013 Forest River FROG Rally that is being held in Indiana August 4th through the 10th. I will be using it for 8 consecutive nights. Over 700 Forest River RVer's will be attending with all brands of Forest River RV's.
Man, that sounds like a good time! It'd be fun just to wander around and look at all the rigs and mods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehamguy1 View Post
In 3 years and over 18,000 miles without either a WDH or an anti-sway bar, there's never been even a hint of trouble towing my A128. I have an old half-ton pickup that's pulled it on some terrible roads and zoomed with it down interstates; no sway or sag. I think you'll be pleased with your new Aframe!
With every response I'm feeling better and better. Thanks!

Camping Photos
Camper Mods
Old 07-29-2013, 12:43 PM   #20

I was debating about getting a WDH and after 3000 km without any problem of sway issues, I decided not to get it.

I hope my TV will survive my East Coast trip next month. I will approximately travel over 5000 km. I have the A128S-2012, I got it last August. My SUV has a tongue limit of 350 lbs and my fully loaded TT goes between 340-400 lbs tongue heavy.

I'm enjoying my TT and I know you will too!

Please post your adventure with lots of pic as I do and welcome to the Forum.