Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2015, 10:59 AM   #21

Thank you Swampweasel. I was so worried about the rear suspension sag that I weighed all of our supplies ( sleeping bag, cutlery, stove, solar panel, each one of our duffle bag, battery, propane, water jug, typical food supplies + 35 lb of food typically in the spare cooler etc.). Something I never had to do with our old tent trailer 2004 Coachman Clipper 1006ST which we loaded everything in the front storage including firewood and i never really saw a lot of sag like this A122S. Mind you the new one has double propane tanks and double the battery, hubby had the dealer replaced single 12v with dual 6v deep cycle). Currently, our max cargo or payload is 1100 lb for the A122S and what we have in there now is about 450 lb.

Hubby and I will be taking it to the CAT scale to check... Then I can sleep better before the next trip. We love our A122S. So, just need to adjust our loading pattern etc. to meet our existing SUV spec.
Newbies to Aframe 2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 03:02 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbies to Aframe 2015 View Post
We have hidden hitch supplied by the Toyota dealer at the time but installed by the tent trailer RV mechanic when we bought our tent trailer 11 yrs ago. It did indicate 5000 lb rating, 2" but not sure what the tongue weight is...10% perhaps of 5000 lb...500 lb. our suv can only pull 3500 lb according to spec.
Just curious cause I thought 600 lbs might be too much tongue weight for the vehicle's hitch.

But that is not the way it is figured. What I was told, the hitch is only part of the tongue weight equation. It also depends on how attached, and the tow vehicles ability to hold the hitch with a given tongue weight.

My 2013 Silverado had a tongue weight of 800 lbs (WDH 1200 lbs), same as my 2015 and both have a tow rating of 9200 lbs. However, older Silverados, pre 2013 were at 600 lbs max with almost the same max tow.

But GM and I thought other manufacturers place a sticker on the hitch with the maximum ratings. Maybe aftermarket hitches don't have that sticker, since they are mounted to so many different vehicles.

And to note, my tongue weight on my trailer was 515, as determined by a Sherline scale.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 03:24 PM   #23

Ok. I just check the sticker on the hidden hitch. 5000 lb rating and tongue weight max is 500 lb. Toyota manual indicates 9-11% of 3500 lb is max. So as long as our tongue weight hovers between 350-400 lb, I think we should be ok....
Old 09-06-2015, 06:31 PM   #24

The factory tag on my RBST states 284 lbs tongue weight as built. My bathroom scale agrees when the battery and both propane bottles are removed. It seems that even the empty bottles were not included in the factory figure.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 08:20 PM   #25

Per two dealers; on mine a popup, the weight includes ONE EMPTY tank; NO battery.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 08:43 PM   #26
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5moab View Post
Per two dealers; on mine a popup, the weight includes ONE EMPTY tank; NO battery.
all "dry" brochure/website tongue weights do NOT include battery or propane gas weight, only the one/two empty propane tanks.
nor cargo, options or water weights.

remember, almost all brochure/website weight numbers(except GVWR)are for a stripped-down version of the trailer.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 10:33 PM   #27
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5moab View Post

I feel like I've heard manufacturers say that hitch weight includes full propane because that's a known wright (vs. battery which can vary based on the actual battery).
Old 09-06-2015, 11:09 PM   #28

My owners manual, which we all know is generic, says weight of propane is included. That being said even at that I was #200 heavier than advertised. Adding things put me another #150 heavier. Bottom line is to measure what you got to know for sure. As far as the hitch, even if the hitch sticker says you can tow #20,000 with #2000 tongue weight, your vehicle is the weakest link at what ever it says it's rated for. Tow at or below the weakest link.

2016 Ford F250 XLT 4X4 6.2L
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329SS
Hensley Arrow
uhduh camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 03:51 AM   #29
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I feel like I've heard manufacturers say that hitch weight includes full propane because that's a known wright (vs. battery which can vary based on the actual battery).
maybe things have changed with the newer yellow UVW factory weight sticker.

this is what my white factory UVW sticker says:

propane gas weight is part of the CCC.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 11:12 AM   #30

Hello, newbie here. I just returned from camping in Cherokee NC and read your post.
WD hitches r great and recommended. I use to tow my heavy rockwood pop up w/ dinette slide with my
V8 Tundra or V6 landcrusier. I put a lot of stuff in the front tray and I'm sure was pushing the max, and I put the rest of the weight on the trailer axel. I wanted to add to the good advice you have received... when I towed with the Tundra I had a 6 or 8" drop hitch... and I used a straight hitch on the Landcruiser to keep it level. both hitches were set up to use two tension sway bars. Also I was told by the salesman, yeah yeah, that the dry weight on my new tt does include the battery and the weight of full propane tanks.
woodpile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 03:23 PM   #31

"Trust but Verify"

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 03:43 PM   #32
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
the OP has an A-frame not a TT.
the fictional dry tongue weight does NOT include the propane gas weight nor the battery. should include the empty tank weights though.

600lbs. on an A-frame sounds like they weighed it incorrectly.
Well its a trailer and it travels
Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 03:52 AM   #33

Maybe it's just mine, but, I've found that Bathroom Scales lie a lot, lol
TinkerToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 09:14 PM   #34

I had a pup for 5 years with front storage then changed to an A frame. I now have two propane tanks with one battery. The only thing I had to change was the height of the tow ball but otherwise each tows the same. Pup was heavier than A frame. I don't use a sway bar as was told I wouldn't need it and I don't. I have no issues with wind or swing on the highway. It follows the minivan nicely, could forget it is there. Sway bars are expensive, why not wait till you check tongue weight at weigh station, then decide. I try to distribute weight inside the camper over the axle with lighter things toward the front. I keep the cooler in the center of the van till I arrive as it can be extremely heavy with all the food, ice/water in it.
Old 09-16-2015, 09:53 PM   #35

Thank you Dobefanatic. We mixed things around and hoping not to spend too much us Canadian are paying alot more for items that our south neighbours are paying (Sherline is $ 550 on Amazon.ca!!!). WDH is $650 installed. We are heading out again this weekend so we will see. After redistributing weight and took the propane off and intend to carry over the axle. We will see how well it tows. The cheapest alternative would be a raised draw bar as you had mentioned worked for you. I am also envisioning lifting a wheel barrel so the higher the handle (ideal balancing spot) the better. Will update.

Thank you
Old 09-16-2015, 10:00 PM   #36

When you got the camper, someone should have noticed if the camper was not sitting level with the tow vehicle. It was obvious when I hooked up at dealership. Right then I had to buy a new ball for my hitch that raised the front end of the camper to make it appear level just sitting in the drive. It needs to be level just driving down the road.( My popup was lower )
NOT TRUE: QUOTE: I am also envisioning lifting a wheel barrel so the higher the handle (ideal balancing spot) the better. END QUOTE
Old 09-17-2015, 08:19 AM   #37

Thank you Dopefanatic. One of the guys at the dealer mentioned how much the Aframe put a sag on my TV but never offered suggestions. When we hook up this time, i will check the trailer level again with respect to the TV as it was level with no people in the TV and A122S loaded but when hitched, it dropped more than a couple of inches than my liking so it lead me on this path. We are going to take our time hitching and rearranging items this Friday before taking off and will updare.
Old 09-17-2015, 09:25 AM   #38

Since you mention TV drop, may be you just need heavy duty rear shocks on the TV. I have the factory installed tow package on my Town n Country, tranny cooler, etc but before I started towing, I had the rear shocks upgraded to heavy duty. Now even though they are there, when all is loaded, ready to pull out, the van does have a slight drop, maybe an inch or two as there is a lot of weight associated with towing.
Old 09-17-2015, 10:19 AM   #39

I had the 2003 Highlander inspected after our trip in the summer and was told our suspension is in great condition. No need to change anything... I even hinted to the Toyota mechanics that I don't mind spending to upgrade the suspension. The shop was not busy at the time. I called back to reconfirm.. the shop did not charge us for the check as well so I figure try out another weekend of camping, make more tweak to the load and see. Our previous tent trailer max weight was 2300 lb and since we are efficient and light packers, we never had to worry about this. The new trailer GVWR 3283 lb is still well within our towing capacity and the first trip went really well. I noticed the Aframe was hitched to the TV when driving but not much different than the tent trailer and the fuel increase was the same so the towing was good.
Old 09-18-2015, 02:05 PM   #40

I thought the maximum tongue weight (per your vehicle manufacturer) is 350 lbs?

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a122s, frame, propane inclusion, tongue weight, weight, a-frame