Old 09-04-2015, 02:05 PM   #1
New to Aframe - tongue weight concerns

Hello: We are new to Aframe as we'd just sold our tent trailer (Coachman Clipper Sport 1006ST - we pull our tent trailer with 2003 V6 Highlander with no issues. Max tow weight is 3500 lb). With our new A122S, according to the spec, tongue weight is 283 lb. GVWR is 3283 lb which meant we can pull easily. We do not carry water except for the 20 lb reliant jug which is stored behind or on the axel when we did take it out the first time a few weeks ago. What does that mean as we weigh the hitch (using bathroom scale) with two propane/two batteries, extremely light items in the front storage and it scored almost 600 lb !!!! Are we doing it incorrectly ? we moved the batteries to the back of the trailer (just to test the weight, my hubby put them on the trailer frame and it lowered the tongue weight 60 lbs.

This lead us to believe that we can shift most of our weight to the back trailer. How unsafe and inconvenient is that to move two propanes and two batteries to the storage compartment during transport. We are efficient packer and pack light.

Does anyone else have similar overloading experience ?
Does 283 lbs include 2 propane and one battery ?
We were thinking of filling the holding tank which is located behind the axel to balance the our A122S but this is the first time we had to concern ourselves with tongue weight (previous tent trailer was quite light - 2200 lb max weight).
Any comments are greatly appreciated. Thank you

Newbies to Aframe 2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 03:02 PM   #2
600lbs seems a bit high compared to mine.

I have a 2014.5 A122BH, and with it loaded with everything for a trip the tongue is at 340lbs, and the total trailer is 2300lbs. I weigh at my local COOP, which lets me use the scales for free after they close.

I do try to keep the tongue weight a bit lower, as my tow vehicle isn't huge. I only have one propane tank filled, and I don't put too much on the front deck. I carry my Weber grill up front, but it doesn't weigh much.

Also, my on-board fresh water tank is behind the rear axle, so that won't put weight on the tongue like 20lbs in a Reliant tank would. Maybe yours is the same setup.

2014 Rockwood A122BH
2014 Nissan Pathfinder
bensinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 03:10 PM   #3
Georgia Frog Rally 2017
The weights listed in the brochure are estimates as every tt can vary in weight during production. Also they are not weigh with full propane tanks or with battery. Not sure what the tong weight for your tt is but it may or fmay not be an issue. Later RJD
2015 35 FT V-Lite 30WRLIKS Diamond Package
2015 Chevy 2500 6.0 4:10 gearing.
Days camped in 2015--46
Days booked for 2016--60
Days camped in 2016 so far 51
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 03:21 PM   #4
The advertised tongue weight is a dry tongue weight. It does not include propane or battery, or a % of the stuff you've loaded into the trailer. Still, 600 seems very high for a trailer that light unless you've loaded it it very nose heavy. I'd go hit a scale.

Be cautious though, you can not just move all heavy items to the back, because too little tongue weight will cause sway and poor control. You want to aim for 12% of the total weight on the tongue. 12% of 3283 is 393 lbs.
2012 Ford F-150 3.7L V6 -- SOLD
2007 Rockwood 1640 LTD Popup -- SOLD
2004 Bantam 19 HTT -- SOLD
2015 RAM 1500 5.7L V8
2015 Coachmen Freedom Express 292BHDS
Loraura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 03:38 PM   #5
Moderators' Assistant
Originally Posted by aceinspp View Post
The weights listed in the brochure are estimates as every tt can vary in weight during production. Also they are not weigh with full propane tanks or with battery. Not sure what the tong weight for your tt is but it may or fmay not be an issue. Later RJD

the OP has an A-frame not a TT.
the fictional dry tongue weight does NOT include the propane gas weight nor the battery. should include the empty tank weights though.

600lbs. on an A-frame sounds like they weighed it incorrectly.
Dan-Retired Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
'07 Roo 23SS pushing an '07 Chevy Avalanche
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 03:44 PM   #6
Congratulations on a great little camper.

Install an Equalizer E2 600/6000 WDH/anti-sway (the 400 model may be a bit light).

You will not regret it. Our A122 rode like crap behind our Hyundai Entourage (minivan). The rear end sagged and dragged, and both minivan and a-frame porpoised at 25-30 MPH. I was about to unwind the deal.

The dealer and I discussed. He suggested the Equalizer (installed for $320, which is probably at cost), and I accepted. The difference is night and day. No rear end sag, the minivan rides like it is not towing, and the camper tows obediently behind with no sway or porpoising - both on the interstate and through the Rockies. The ride is so good that my wife will drive for a couple of hours a day, even in 35 MPH crosswinds on the interstate.

You probably are at (or should have) about 400lbs tongue weight.

Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122
2008 Hyundai Entourage (minivan) with Equalizer 600/6000 - don't tow without it!
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
next trip Lincoln, Nebraska for Cornhusker football
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 05:02 PM   #7
The Equalizer wd hitches are great. . I have owned two.. on teavel trailers. I'm pulling my 2014 a122s with a 2013 f150, extra cab, v8. Just got it a few days ago. I've pulled it about 200 miles on interstate hiways and back roads. Don't think I'm going to need any wdh with this set up. Don't even know the camper is back there. If towing with a smaller car or van I would definitely get the equalizer.
2014 Rockwood Premier A-122S
2013 FORD F-150 STX, Super Cab
chuck9997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 06:08 PM   #8
It is my understanding that the tongue weight should be about 10 to 15 percent of the gross weight of the trailer for towing stability. Also, your trailer and tow vehicle should be as close to level as possible which usually requires a WDH. The tongue weight on our A192HW A-frame is 425 pounds as measured with a Sherline tongue weight scale which is quite accurate and reasonably priced.
Joe in NH
2016 Rockwood A192HW A-Frame
2013 Ford F-150 XLT 3.5 Twin Turbo Supercrew
Swampweasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 07:35 PM   #9
I avoided A frame models with the front storage box,

because I realized I could easily put about 300 pounds of tongue weight in that box.

That's ok for a class 3 receiver and WDH, but I wanted to stay with a class 2 receiver.
mickrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 07:39 PM   #10
Our A122S tongue weight is 283 lb (dry weight I supposed based on the forum's advice) this is why when added 2 propane tanks (fulled) and two batteries and some kids' plastic toys/lawnchairs in the front storage lead to 600 lbs....Will be putting more weight as suggested in the storage under the bed to lift the tongue weight and will talk to Toyota to see WDH can be used for our 2003 Highlander. We truly enjoy campers as we believe campers are friendly and easy going folks not to mention helpful :-)

Newbies to Aframe 2015 is offline   Reply With Quote

a122s, frame, propane inclusion, tongue weight, weight, a-frame