Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2016, 09:18 AM   #21

i have a narrow driveway that my camper is parked on. The dogs hang out in the back yard next to it and regularly notify us of any hostile or shady looking rabbits that would steal the camper. That coupled with the alarmed truck in front blocking its ability to be moved have kept people from stealing our camper even in crime ridden St Louis.
Old 03-08-2016, 10:00 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountndream View Post
i have a narrow driveway that my camper is parked on. The dogs hang out in the back yard next to it and regularly notify us of any hostile or shady looking rabbits that would steal the camper. That coupled with the alarmed truck in front blocking its ability to be moved have kept people from stealing our camper even in crime ridden St Louis.
Got to watch out for those rabbits! They multiply quick and often bring the family along to help. If there are enough they may mug your dogs! I have to watch my lab, she loves to have them for breakfast but if there are more than two she can't decide where to start.

Jim
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 12:05 PM   #23

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptchap View Post
As far as moving... Where would you move where thieves couldn't get to you?
I live in the SW Virginia area where there are mountains, good people, great neighbors (not too close), and great music.

We have had all sorts of RVs from popups to a large fifth wheel and it sits beside our house unless we are off in it. It is usually not even locked. The only thing we have ever had taken was some cereal that we forgot about leaving in there last winter and the rodents tried to carry the whole box away, but ended up just making a mess throughout the entire trailer. I found Cheerios in my clothing drawers.

I don't keep anything in the RV that is worth a lot except for the TVs and our camping clothes. I could replace the clothes at Goodwill for about $10 and the TVs are older, but still good.

Take a look at the crime statistics from the Dept of Justice and see where there is little to no crime and that's where you would need to move.

Otherwise, just lock it up and keep good insurance on it.
merrykalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 02:07 PM   #24
Site Team

Anything g you do to make it more troublesome for thieves can be a good thing. They want "easy." A TT cover will deter, as will any chains and locks through the wheel holes.
Motion detector flood lights near the front can help attract attention at night. A single pipe gate mounted to cemented poles can help. Hope you find something that works for you.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 07:32 PM   #25

Batteries theft...suggestions...We have our hitch locked but, now we're worried about the batteries. We have several friends that have had theirs stolen. Thank you so much...we are newbies also.
Mountain Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 07:42 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Girl View Post
Batteries theft...suggestions...We have our hitch locked but, now we're worried about the batteries. We have several friends that have had theirs stolen. Thank you so much...we are newbies also.

One advantage of smaller batteries. I take my group 24 battery with me when I drop the camper off at the storage lot. Insurance and the security at the lot are the rest of my protection.

Back at home I take the opportunity to fully charge the battery (including equalization), and then leave it on a maintainer.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 09:21 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Girl View Post
Battery theft is hard to prevent. Even on trailers such as a 5er where the batteries are inside of a compartment. Most compartments use the same key lock. A hasp and padlock is useless. I have never seen a trailer I couldn't get into with a large screw driver. My dealer removes all batteries and stores them inside, or has the owner take them home.

Next best thing is an alarm system. I have wireless contacts on the 5er's door tied into my home system. Nothing on the compartments though. That would have cost me almost as much as a new battery.

Battery theft is not real big around here. They have no idea how old the battery is they are taking. Best battery theft scheme I have heard of? In Phili they would watch and see if a car or truck was parked in the same area every day. They would then steal the old battery. Then they would watch for the car or truck to come back and switch batteries putting the old one back in. They then had a new battery!

Bottom line, if they want something bad enough they will get it!

Jim
Old 03-09-2016, 10:14 AM   #28

I keep my boat trailer and 5er in a storage facility that is gated, has security and cameras. Asked to borrow bolt cutters one day as the key to the boat trailer lock was lost. They handed me an 18 volt battery operated wheel cutter and said "faster and easier". I no longer lock anything as in less than 30 seconds any lock, chain, or cable can be cut. Almost every truck comes with a hitch today making theft of trailers easy. Few thieves are going to invest in a 5er hitch unless they are pros and nothing will stop a pro.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 09:29 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
I keep my boat trailer and 5er in a storage facility that is gated, has security and cameras. Asked to borrow bolt cutters one day as the key to the boat trailer lock was lost. They handed me an 18 volt battery operated wheel cutter and said "faster and easier". I no longer lock anything as in less than 30 seconds any lock, chain, or cable can be cut. Almost every truck comes with a hitch today making theft of trailers easy. Few thieves are going to invest in a 5er hitch unless they are pros and nothing will stop a pro.
I had some work done end of last year. Owner called me and said it was done and I could come get it any time I wanted, sense I had paid in advance. Went to get it next day and wasn't there two minutes and someone came out to find out what I was doing. Service manager came out and told him it was ok, it was my 5er. He then went inside the 5er and got me a check they had left me in a drawer because I had overpaid. The owner had forgot to tell me it was there.

This was during operating hours, afterhours who knows what would have happened. Probably would have gotten locked up cause would have had to cut the lock on the gate.

Like I said earlier, if a thief wants something bad enough he will find a way.

Jim
Old 03-11-2016, 01:27 AM   #30

The cop that "investigated" the theft of my trailer made one very interesting comment. He said that for travel trailers and folding trailers, the single thing that makes them least attractive to thieves is anything that makes them stand out. He said bumper stickers helped some, but that decals, appliques or distinctive paint jobs on the side made them MUCH less attractive to thieves. So if you see a T21TBHW going down the road with flames down the sides, it will probably be mine!
ptchap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 01:48 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrykalia View Post
I live in the SW Virginia area where there are mountains, good people, great neighbors (not too close), and great music.

We have had all sorts of RVs from popups to a large fifth wheel and it sits beside our house unless we are off in it. It is usually not even locked. The only thing we have ever had taken was some cereal that we forgot about leaving in there last winter and the rodents tried to carry the whole box away, but ended up just making a mess throughout the entire trailer. I found Cheerios in my clothing drawers.

I don't keep anything in the RV that is worth a lot except for the TVs and our camping clothes. I could replace the clothes at Goodwill for about $10 and the TVs are older, but still good.

Take a look at the crime statistics from the Dept of Justice and see where there is little to no crime and that's where you would need to move.

Otherwise, just lock it up and keep good insurance on it.
Sounds great, but I would have a really tough time imagining giving up our 330 days of sunshine, 20% humidity and no bugs just for a little more security for my 'stuff'. That being said, I've been all over Virginia and you are in what is probably my favorite part.
Old 03-11-2016, 10:04 AM   #32

I have more friends, neighbors and others watching my trailer than I knew. I do take-out maybe once a week. While it was at the dealers getting the roof re-coated my delivery people wanted to know where it was. When I brought it back, a week later, one of my neighbors stopped me and asked why I hadn't put the rear stabilizers down yet. No one noticed I had my prosthetic and was starting to walk but noticed my stabilizers were not down, LOL! I do have some good people in my area. Even one of the local cops stopped to see if I had sold it.

Good observant people always help keep it safe.

Jim
Old 03-11-2016, 10:46 AM   #33
Gold Miner At Heart

Well I live in a rural area in NC. When we built our house in 2001 I had a metal building 36x24 installed and I installed a alarm system. We keep our 5er in there. If I had to do over I would've had a wood frame building installed. The only thing I don't like is the moisture from the metal sides and roof. I installed vents in the front and back top walls as well as house vents all around on the bottom. However, it still has moisture causing mildew. Live and learn I guess.
Old 03-11-2016, 10:59 AM   #34
Site Team

A simple way to make your stolen RV more visible. Remove the license plate and store it at home. Just have to remember to replace it before you use it. Thieves usually do not take the time to check for a plate.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 12:52 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
A simple way to make your stolen RV more visible. Remove the license plate and store it at home. Just have to remember to replace it before you use it. Thieves usually do not take the time to check for a plate.
GREAT idea! That should definitely help!

Tags