Old 07-10-2016, 11:34 AM   #21
To be a little bit more positive (based on 6 years in Alaska, and work as helicopter maintenance and pilot), I would offer the following suggestions before modding an A-frame.

1. Weigh your A-frame as it really is, instead of using brochure figures. Fill the water tank and hot water heater. Have the bedding, including the mattress topper inside the camper. A full load in the fridge. Clothing and tools and stuff (pots, pans, kitchen and dining supplies) you normally carry in the camper. The goal is to see how much cargo capacity you really have left. The max gross weight doesn't change, but the weight of the camper does. Subtract the scale weight from max gross - that's your real cargo carrying weight or capacity for weight-increasing mods.

1A. Add up your tire capacities, and compare to max gross weight. For instance on my A122, max gross is 3,068lbs. Tire capacity is 1,710lbs each. This gives me about a 10% margin at max gross, and a 20% margin if I can keep the trailering weight down around 2,700lbs. That goes a long way to avoiding tire blowouts or failures - which is critical in Alaska or on the Alcan. 3 things primarily cause tires to fail internally - time, ultra-violet, and temperature. Speed and load are the primary drivers of temperature.

If I don't have a reasonable margin on my tires, a tire capacity upgrade would be my first mod.

Tongue weight is the other concern. Too light a tongue weight, and the trailer sways easily. Too heavy is unnecessary load on tow vehicle and its components.

Fred W

pgandw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 11:58 AM   #22
Tire capacity upgrade is a good idea -- likely could do a axle upgrade as well -- but with right balance of things in the rig from camper and TV -- I doubt the axle change would be needed

I'd not mind if the A-Frame had an option for larger tires for some more capacity and clearance, but I think I can find a balance and yes incremental weighing and working through the mods is order

The yukon 4x4 with towing package has a lot of headroom for these size traler and ability to share cargo hauling

stevetoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 12:38 AM   #23
I also am a newbie. just picked up a 2017 212HW. super fun! only one glitch we noticed. when the power lift is dropping the roof the roof side over the bed, as it passes the vent opening on the roof side over the dinette, it catches on the fan control knob, pulls it for about a second or so, looks like the knob is going to be torn off, then it finally passes over it. Has anyone else with the power roof seen this? Thanks!

4th Quarter Coach is offline   Reply With Quote

a-frame, frame, newbie