Old 05-22-2013, 06:49 PM   #11

Another question. I have both propane tanks off do they need to stay open for water heater pilot light?

Old 05-22-2013, 07:25 PM   #12
Moderators' Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehamguy1 View Post
Meanwhile, Dan and Turbs, did I cover it ok?
hamguy, from what i see it looks o.k., but i don't know much about A-frames to comment much.

i assumed that A-framers have a monitor panel that shows FW, Gray and Black tank levels, since even popups have them. do they not have them?

again to the OP, i shocked at how little was explained to you, especially with your question about shutting the propane tanks down. it really show a lack of instruction from the dealer. i hope you didn't pay for that pitiful excuse for a PDI.

you should leave one tank open, so that the fridge and furnace and stove and water heater can operate when they need to.
there's absolutely no reason to shut the tank down until you leave for home, unless you want to keep the fridge on propane while you travel.

2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:47 PM   #13

Nope, no panel. Will call Lazy Days and/or Forest River directly. The dealer(LDays) sell so many different RV's they didn't seem that knowledgeable
Old 05-22-2013, 07:52 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsusluvsyou View Post
Do I have to turn on water heater and light pilot each time we use the trailer?
Yes

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2013 Puma Unleashed 356 QLB
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Sadie & Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxers
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:54 PM   #15

Quote:
Thought pilot was on from when we picked it up. Lazy Days said they checked all equipment, after the a/c didn't work on delivery.
The pilot light would go out when the gas bottles are turned off.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Old 05-22-2013, 08:00 PM   #16

\
just to clear things up ... the total water system holds 26 US callons. the fresh water tank holds twenty .. and the hot water heater holds 6. When the water starts to spit from the faucets ... turn the hot water tank off .. as you are running out of tank water.
there is no pilot light on the the hot water heater .. it is designated 12volt ... as hamguy says ...

d-mo
Old 05-22-2013, 08:04 PM   #17

Quote:
Another question. I have both propane tanks off do they need to stay open for water heater pilot light?
Yes but water pilot light should be only be on when camping using the water system.........no need to waste the gas & keep the water hot when at home or storage.....should not be on when traveling down the road... There probably is a switch to turn on / off. Also be sure that there is water in the tank ......

Do you have any friends, neighbors, relatives that have a camper ???? They can be a great resource. X100 the dealer did a poor job walking you through your camper........

By the way Congrats on the new camper ......... lots of great info on this site..... You Will Get the Hang of things after a few times out......

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Old 05-22-2013, 08:24 PM   #18

Hamguy was spot on, I'll summarize for clarity:

The A-Frame Hot Water Heaters have electronic ignition with no standing pilot light. The heater ignite using an electronic spark when flame is needed to heat the tank water. This is controlled exclusively on the A-Frame models with a switch inside the camper. On and it will ignite as needed, unless there's a fault (no ignition) in which case a light comes on indicating it didn't light. I believe in a fault condition you have to cycle it off and back on to try again.

As Ham said, make sure the heater is full before turning on the switch by using the pressure relief valve at the top of the heater on the exterior of the heater (behind the cover on the driver side front of the camper). Running the heater without a full tank will cause damage to the heater.

Ham's explanation on the drain also is perfect. I've not added an elbow and extension, and just use garden hose and put up with the slightly slow draining and gurgling

As others have said, hook up to city water before you head out and fill your hot water heater tank and all the lines by running both hot and cold at the faucet (and or outside shower) and be sure again to use the pressure relief valve to ensure a full hot water tank.

Most of us travel with an empty fresh water storage tank to save the extra weight and will fill at the camp ground if no city hookup available, then drain before leaving.

Bonus Tip: When leaving the CG, open the fresh water drain valve and leave it open on the drive home. This will empty the tank near 100% as the water sloshing around will work it's way over to the drain which is higher than the bottom of the tank.

Happy Camping!
Reese 66065 WDH, Curt WDH Shank #17120
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Mopar 7-pin Harness
B&M Transmission Cooler (#70268)
Jeep4Two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:08 PM   #19

Lazy Days get an A+ I spoke with their tech guy he was awesome in helping and answering my questions.