Old 08-03-2013, 02:13 PM   #1

Newbie, with dead battery, help!

Hello, so we're new and preparing for a week in our A122. I've been trolling through the forum to get tips/tricks and just saw a string regarding keeping the unit plugged in when at home or disconnecting the battery. Sure enough, went out to the garage and the battery is dead (well the hitch light wouldn't come on...so assuming it's dead). If I plug it in, will the battery charge? Or are we screwed? HELP! We're leaving on our trip tomorrow...
So much to learn...is there a thread out there specifically for newbies on the do's and don't's of storage?

Old 08-03-2013, 02:26 PM   #2

plugging it in should do the trick. There are some devices that use power such as the LP gas detectors, basement lights left on by mistake, possibly the fridge, smoke detectors if they are not the battery type. when you park it, disconnect the negative terminal connections. The battery won't be drained unless you leave it for extended lengths of time. When you return buy a battery charger (trickle type) and plug it in every couple of months. Lead acid batteries should never be left below about 50% charge or they sulphate up and presto your buying new batteries each year. Good luck and enjoy your trip. By the way welcome to the forum

Old 08-03-2013, 02:35 PM   #3
Moderators' Assistant

you also need to install a battery disconnect switch so you don't have to keep it plugged into shore power all the time.

nearly all RV's have converter/chargers that recharge the batteries, when you plug into shore power or a generator.

RV's have many parasitic power drains and will easily empty a battery in just a few days.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 03:02 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalaseapea
Hello, so we're new and preparing for a week in our A122. I've been trolling through the forum to get tips/tricks and just saw a string regarding keeping the unit plugged in when at home or disconnecting the battery. Sure enough, went out to the garage and the battery is dead (well the hitch light wouldn't come on...so assuming it's dead). If I plug it in, will the battery charge? Or are we screwed? HELP! We're leaving on our trip tomorrow...
So much to learn...is there a thread out there specifically for newbies on the do's and don't's of storage?
Never let battery discharge, some life will be lost forever. Take steps forvdisconnect and a system to use it if not charging...
Old 08-03-2013, 04:38 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

There are several threads about storage but, since trailer models differ, you will want to know your trailer's capabilities

At this point: plug in the camper to let the converter try to charge. The battery could well have less of a life expectancy now (as mentioned) but you'll find that out later. It might be fine for your trip so give it a try. If you have the time, you can charge it, let it sit of a bit for a few hours with a load on, and check its capacity with a multimeter. If its still low, you are best to replace before the trip.

Also, as mentioned, a battery disconnect helps immensely in storage. Newer trailers have this installed, but you need to check. Many owners have installed their own as needed.

If you run out of power in the middle of a trip, don't worry too much, as you should be able to manually work the systems you'll need to get back on the road.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 05:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalaseapea View Post
Welcome to the forum. Congratulations on your new A frame.

The battery may or may not be dead. The worst case is you get where you are going and have to replace the battery. You can go to walmart tonight and buy a battery because you can return it if not used. Otherwise figure out where the nearest Wal-Mart or sporting goods store is to your campground. I think the replacement is toolless, but check your battery.

And yes, as you found out, the LP detector and stereo are a parasitic draw on your battery. A disconnect switch is the best solution, IMO. Others disconnect the battery by hand or have inserted a fuse. For the moment, I just leave mine plugged in because it is very convenient and I go out there periodically to do work and its nice to have it AC ready.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 06:00 PM   #7

Does our rockwood a122bh have a battery disconnect switch?
Old 08-04-2013, 06:45 PM   #8

Not likely. You have to install one or just disconnect the battery manually. Just to remember to reconnect it when driving so the emergency breakaway switch will have power.

2012 Rockwood A122S

Old 08-04-2013, 07:14 PM   #9
Site Team

be careful plugging in at the house. Don't plug into a regular dryer style outlet or you can fry your electric system.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 07:54 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by anaro View Post
be careful plugging in at the house. Don't plug into a regular dryer style outlet or you can fry your electric system.
The licensed electrician that installed my 30 amp plug put 2 breakers on it to make it a 240 Volt outlet. He looked dumbfounded when I told him that my RV was a 120 Volt. It was a good thing I checked the work because if the converter had burned out, unkind words would have been spoken. Very unkind.

2012 Rockwood A122S

Tags
battery, newbie