Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2014, 01:12 AM   #1

Newbies with a new 2015 127TH

Hi All,

My wife and I just bought a new 2015 127TH. We're looking forward to the upgrade from tent camping.

I have a few basic modifications in mind. First, we plan to camp in the driveway of our house for a day or two, to learn all the systems. Next, I plan to remove the vinyl graphics to clean up the way it looks, and start considering a solar battery charging solution.

Aside from the few things I'd like to do, I'm hoping you guys can suggest if there's anything you'd do while the trailer is still brand new. I was thinking of adding sealant where needed, and undercoating it. Is this necessary? Any other treatment or preventative maintenance that can/should be done when it's new?

Thank you for the suggestions!

Johnny
j0hnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 08:58 AM   #2

Do not undercoat the wood floor. It is an engineered product that needs to be able to let moisture evaporate. Rot damage to the floor comes not from getting wet but from staying wet and undercoating will increase the moisture level.

I added two, 12V outlets inside mine where the useless (to me) cable jack is.

Many of us have added power strips to make the plugs more convneineit, securing them to the walls with 3M Command strips.

My next project is to add LED lighting in the cabinets.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 09:43 AM   #3

Welcome and congrats on your new camper.
Wiscampsin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 10:49 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooneil View Post
Do not undercoat the wood floor. It is an engineered product that needs to be able to let moisture evaporate. Rot damage to the floor comes not from getting wet but from staying wet and undercoating will increase the moisture level.

Ah, thank you so much for the input! That's exactly the kind of information I was looking for.
Old 06-17-2014, 10:49 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiscampsin View Post
Welcome and congrats on your new camper.
Thank you, we're so excited!
Old 06-17-2014, 11:22 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0hnny View Post
Ah, thank you so much for the input! That's exactly the kind of information I was looking for.
As with all suggestions on the internet, check your owners manual for confirmation. IIRC mine says something about undercoating voiding the structurwood warranty.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 02:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooneil View Post
As with all suggestions on the internet, check your owners manual for confirmation. IIRC mine says something about undercoating voiding the structurwood warranty.
We're taking possession of the unit on Saturday, so I'll spend that first evening reading the manuals, from the comfort of our driveway. Thank you.
Old 06-17-2014, 04:28 PM   #8
Mostly Harmless

This is our 4th season with our A128 and the floor is still solid (and not undercoated). Driving in rain will get it wet down there but it dries quickly and is good as new. You're not the first one to ask about undercoating; it was probably one of the first things everyone here wondered about. Trust us; don't do it.

Congrats, BTW, on your new unit. It's the first 2015 model I've seen mentioned here. We'll want photos!!!
2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 05:36 PM   #9

WU0V this is W6YXH,

Thank you for the additional information and assurance about the undercarriage. I'm happy to hear that it's good to go from day one!

I saw your Youtube videos regarding your extra storage space (and admired your Kreg jig!) and the screen door modification, thank you for sharing.

Any chance that you have more info about your solar/ PV system? I'm excited to add one myself. I'm thinking
About mounting solar panels to a pole, attached to the toy hauler cargo area, or on a tripod that can be positioned appropriately. I'd like to see what other folks have done.

I'll get some pics up on Saturday, after we get her home!!

73s,
Johnny - W6YXH
Old 06-17-2014, 07:14 PM   #10
Mostly Harmless

Hi Johnny, great to hear from you! I saw there was a new subscription to my YouTube channel but I didn't make the connection until now. We still love the cabinetry I installed, but the screen door modification is a little pesky. It doesn't seem to wear well.
My solar panel set up is not in use currently, I bought a generator because it does the job much faster. But lately I haven't used either the generator or the solar panels – it's been so hot I just park in the electric sites and use the air-conditioning. I have four panels, each 15 W, three are from Harbor Freight and the fourth is from Northern Tool. The ones from Harbor came with a charge controller that seems to work quite well.
I made a wooden frame with wheels to make it easier to realign the panels to the sun's position. But even then it's a hassle keeping them aligned. Just about the time I think I've got everything set up some shadow covers them from a nearby tree or a nearby camper. If you like camping in sunny places, then I would say it's worth it to buy good panels and charge controller. Solar tech is booming and you should be able to score some great panels for a good (comparatively) price.
Search for posts from Handbuilder--she has a tongue mount for her solar setup. For that matter, search for anything solar in these forums ; it's been a hot topic.
Our 2012 Alaska trip is told in the thread. "Iowa to Alaska in our A128"
2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 10:28 AM   #11

Welcome Johnny!

We have a toy hauler too. One mod we absolutely love is the addition of a truck box (from Tractor Supply) on the front deck. Lockable space for larger pilferable items - like the generator, axe, and other whatnots that just need a spot.

We also changed out the interior lights to LEDs and replaced the dinette table with just wood slats.

Latest mod is switching out the exterior storage locks to thumbkeyed locks.

Enjoy your new camper! Post pics when you can. We feed off pics here!!! ;-)

Debbie
2012 Ford Raptor
Camping born-on date: 21 July 2012
Nights camped: 2014-3 (so far!!); 2013-16; 2012-2 nights
FarFromStock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 03:09 PM   #12

We just dropped off the truck, today, to get the hitch situation in order, and add the brake controller. Here's a link to the online ad for it:

#2965 - 2015 Forest River Rockwood Premier 127TH for sale in Puyallup WA

FarFromStock, I agree with you in regards to the front external storage. I think a new truck box will be in order, shortly. I really like the S model, with built in external storage, and wish they had a hybrid, like a STH model with both external storage and a short bike rack in front of that. We would have picked that!
Old 06-21-2014, 06:28 AM   #13

Here's what our storage box looks like just after we installed it...the deck ramps are still off in this pic...

And here it is getting filled with "stuff":

It's been an awesome addition to Carl.
2012 Ford Raptor
Old 06-25-2014, 08:39 AM   #14

It seems like hams with a-frames are common here!

de KC0ZMX
Old 06-25-2014, 02:20 PM   #15

I have gone the solar route .. like numberous posters here. For the trailer i run a single 80 watt panel, which supports the entire unit comfortably, without changing out bulbs and worrying about power usage. Perhaps your first big investment, if you decide to go the solar route will be upgrading your 12 volt reserve, a bit pricey for 2 deep cycles .. but these are things that you will need. This way .. before you make any other steps, you will get to see how long things work off of the batteries ... and give you an idea of what wattage of panel you need .. or even if you need it at all.

welcome to the club ... d-mo ..

hey .. on a side note .. where is this facebook thing .. i kinda would like to join ..
Old 06-25-2014, 07:11 PM   #16

Hi Guys,

We picked up our new trailer last Saturday, and we slept in it, with our two kids in the driveway. We've had up to 7 people in it at once, and we fit comfortably, socializing. Obviously, 4 people sleeping in it is about the practical limit, but it will suit our family just right.

We're excited to take it out this weekend for the first trip. We've spent the week collecting "stuff" to outfit the new rig, and I think we're all set.

I'll get some photos of it once we get it set up at the campground.

Yes, I think two deep cycle batteries (considering two 6v golf cart batteries in series) will be in order before adding the solar panel array.

HAMs with A-frames sounds like a club in the making!!

Cheers!
Old 06-25-2014, 08:55 PM   #17

Dinette table to "just wood slats" -

How do you do that?
mickrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 04:55 PM   #18

thx for this hamguy ... see you soon there .. i think i have a facebook account .. somewhere ...

cheers .. d-mo
Old 06-26-2014, 08:39 PM   #19

Mickrock - we don't use the dinette table, so we cut 6 slats of 1x4 pine so that we still have support for the cushions. The slats are removable to allow the area to be open when we're at camp. It works for us since it's just me and DH.
2012 Ford Raptor
Old 06-29-2014, 08:58 AM   #20

Congrats on your new trailer! The deck is a definite plus. I also have a storage box on mine that houses miscellaneous "stuff". Look forward to seeing what neat things you do to yours!

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags