Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2013, 03:00 PM   #1

Off Road Option?

I watched an Australian video on Youtube about an a-frame down under that had an off road option. The difference was that the A Frame was higher off the ground and had two steps to get up into the trailer. I am planning on going out west and may get off on rough dirt roads. Do the Flagstaffs come with something like that or maybe I don't really need it?
gt40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:17 PM   #2

My 2012 trailer has 14" tires but in 2013 they came out with 15" tires. When I was searching for a trailer, I was very adamant about having nothing smaller than a 14" tires....I like having a little more lift because we do travel on bumpy dirt roads.

But then, my DH reminds me that the trailer is only as high as the axles allow it to be anyway...My friend has the same trailer but newer model - with 15" tires and the tires appear 'tighter' in the wheel well than my 14".

I think it if you really wanted something for rugged trails, the A-Frame wouldnt be my first choice of camping rig....I'd go for an Evolution pop up, Starcraft or Jayco Baja...which I did look at, but decided I liked hard sides with affordable options as standard. LOL

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:27 PM   #3

Yes...we have the 2013 Rockwood A127TH with the 15" tires. We specifically got it because of the larger "more rugged" tires for our trip off-roading in Texas.

It all depends on how "off-road" you want to go!! I recall seeing an Australian video of an off-roading event, but it was more of a swamping event - I don't think any sized tire was going to save the camper from being submerged!!!!
2012 Ford Raptor
Camping born-on date: 21 July 2012
Nights camped: 2014-3 (so far!!); 2013-16; 2012-2 nights
FarFromStock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:29 PM   #4

Leaf springs - can you move the axle to the bottom of the springs?
If the axle is already on the bottom you can replace the springs with a pair that have a higher arc.
Torsion axle - ask a dealer (they may not be aware of the kit) about a lift kit or spacers to put between the frame and axle mounting brackets.
Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:49 AM   #5
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisty View Post
Leaf springs - can you move the axle to the bottom of the springs?
If the axle is already on the bottom you can replace the springs with a pair that have a higher arc.
Torsion axle - ask a dealer (they may not be aware of the kit) about a lift kit or spacers to put between the frame and axle mounting brackets.
The A-frames have torsion axles, but I wasn't aware of the lift kit--thanks for mentioning it!
2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:42 AM   #6

Lee, when I began looking at the Flagstaff, I started off wanting the model you have. DH asked about turning the axle and lifting it. After DH and salesman and repair tech looked, they decided it was not possible - not enough tire clearance in the wheel well. We even asked if we could order the storage model on another frame, but they said it was not possible. I was very stuck on wanting a unit that sat slightly taller on the road to avoid bottoming over dips and ruts and such....like what would occur with the previous travel trailer.

Luck have it, I found the toy deck model - it did have the clearance & at the time (in 2012), came in slightly larger tire size. I wonder if the toy hauler model has a different frame? I was told that it is the same frame as FR Off Road Toy Hauler Tent Pop Up Camper frame....maybe this is why it takes a 2-5/16 ball and Class IV hitch? Because of the anticipated weight and work load expected?

My friend who has the 2013 model, we looked at her model, it appears the same, but the tire clearance is closer to the wheel well than mine. DH said I could put 15" tires on, but does not see the point...said since it sits high anyway and should be fine trucking down the bumpy roads and fields where show parking sometimes is...& of course, speed is also a bottoming out factor on grubby roads. yikes.

I dunno, I make no claims to being mechanical, just sit on the side lines and listen to DH & service/repair tech talk....it'd be cool if you could find a way to raise it. I love the slight height diff from the travel trailer to this A-Frame.

1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:35 AM   #7
Mostly Harmless

Hi, Tamara. So far the 13" wheels haven't been a problem even on The Road That Shall Not Be Named last summer in northern Yukon. But for a few moments there, when I learned there might be a lift kit for torsion axles, the What Can I Do Next devil was whispering in my ear. It's not as if I have nothing to do, between re-siding part of the house and building a decklet in front. Maybe I'm afraid if I slow down too much I'll rust up.
2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 12:43 PM   #8

LOL Lee - sounds like my DH! He sidetracked himself with this raised bed while he was cleaning up the yard...he said he was going to move the pile of lumber & decided to just build the bed I asked for a couple years ago. haha...he took a break and tools down the road to "pick up" dinner (awesome)....the benefits of living so close to a lake. haha He juggles several projects at a time...eventually as time, interest and money allow, they get done.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Resampled95Image951367610998425.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	29798   Click image for larger version

Name:	Resampled952013-05-029509-45-5695641.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	29799