Old 04-03-2012, 10:25 PM   #1

Oh yes I did....

Yes, I'm that guy. The new camper went dry during the middle of the DW's first outdoor shower experience...luckily I had a spare 5 gallon reserve jug at the ready. It still made for several anxious, shampoo filled moments. I tried to spin the situation the best I could but some people just aren't into that exhilarating, refreshingly cold outdoor shower experience. In spite of it all, it was a great second trip in the new A-frame.

Seriously though...I can't understand how the fresh water went that quickly. I was monitoring the gray water with a 3 gallon bucket and we only went through MAYBE 3 buckets...and I took a cold shower be very stingy with the water. Something is not adding up. I was topped off when we left....supposedly 20 in the fresh and 6 in the water heater. Either we have a tank leak or I'm just missing something.

On a positive note from this weeks adventure:

The new Honda genny performed even better the second trip. I was able to run the AC in eco mode with a surge only every now and then...and simultaneously had a TV and digital converter going.

Hope everyone else had great outings.

LM

loganmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 10:30 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

did you fill hw heater then top of your tank again ?
Also I have found when filling my fw tank I need to turn water on very very slow as to get it ALL the way full ! Do not go by fw panel gauge it may say full when in fact its not.

Old 04-03-2012, 10:33 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by loganmartin View Post
Yes, I'm that guy. The new camper went dry during the middle of the DW's first outdoor shower experience...luckily I had a spare 5 gallon reserve jug at the ready. It still made for several anxious, shampoo filled moments. I tried to spin the situation the best I could but some people just aren't into that exhilarating, refreshingly cold outdoor shower experience. In spite of it all, it was a great second trip in the new A-frame.

LM
And you are still breathing???? I think I would have still been screaming like a girl!!! I prefer hot, indoor showers!!!!

Felicia & Jeff - Missouri
2013 Columbus - 320 RS 2012 F350 CC DRW - 6.7L PSD
2012 Camping 59 DAYS; 2013 50 DAYS; 2014 WAITING
Earth Station is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 10:55 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
did you fill hw heater then top of your tank again ?
Also I have found when filling my fw tank I need to turn water on very very slow as to get it ALL the way full ! Do not go by fw panel gauge it may say full when in fact its not.
No..unfortunately gauges are not standard equipment on the A-frame campers. That would be nice.

Supposedly the hot water heater had been filled before delivery by the tech. I had drained the fw tank and sanitized when I got it home and also tested the water heater. I drained and re-filled until it was overflowing. I'm sure it is operator error somehow.

LM
Old 04-03-2012, 10:57 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earth Station View Post
And you are still breathing???? I think I would have still been screaming like a girl!!! I prefer hot, indoor showers!!!!
Oh...it was breathtaking alright...kind of a hyperventilating type of feeling.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:44 PM   #6

Sorry about your shower experience, for your sake I hope things go better the
next time! I'm not looking forward to that first time when DW runs out of water while showering.

On a separate note, on your generator comment: which Honda did you go with and is your AC 13.5k BTU or 15k? I'm thinking of going with the Honda but just not sure if it's up to the job of running the AC. Thanks!
2016 Ford Fusion Titanium (gulping gas again, camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 11:49 PM   #7

Are you basing your estimate of use based on the capacity that the mfgr advertised? If so, that capacity isn't just the tank, but likley includes the water heater and the water lines. Once the tank is dry, and the pump pulls air, you stop getting water, so while you HAVE that extra 6+ gallons of water still in the water heater (and as part of the advertised capacity), you have no way to push it out!

2014 RAM 2500 Laramie 4x4 Quad Cab w/Cummins Turbo Diesel, 2009 Rockwood 2607, and 3 'yaks!
300W of Suntech Solar, a Rogue MPT-3024 Controller, and a Xantrex PW2000 Inverter
Fire Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 06:23 AM   #8

Our old Wildcat 5th wheel was a bear to fill the FW tank! You would put 5 gallons in very slowly and it would blow back 3 of them. You would think it was full, but the the reality was just tank air, needing to burp. It had the vent hole by the filler hole, but it always burped out of the filler hole. Yours may be the same. You think it is full from all the blow-back, but it is simply burping....
Old 04-04-2012, 06:25 AM   #9

You will be surprised at how fast you can use water when you are not thinking of it. How much water do you run down the drain when letting the water warm up in the morning to wash up and brush your teeth? How much water do you use to wash dishes or clean up after meals? How much water do you use when cooking? Do use your FW for drinking or do you bring a container for just drinking water. That in it self can save a lot of water. It really adds up over time especially when you have only 20 gallons in the tank. We use a water pitcher to hold water that we run waiting for it to warm up and save it for dishes or whatever else comes up instead of letting it go down the drain. We usually bring four, 7 gallon containers of water every time we go camping,and I top off the tank every morning. I also went through the "water running out when the DW was showering" event. Won't happen again. Good Luck in the Future and Happy Camping.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:29 AM   #10
Site Team - Lou

OK, my 2c.

Fire Instructor and backpacker 3 have excellent points.
I would like to add, a picture is worth 1000 words.
(But you get the words anyway.)

You will not be able to use all the water in the camper due to how the plumbing works and you, most likely, will not be able to fill the FW tank to the top due to the location of the over flow hose.

The tank indicators are wildly unreliable and can change readings based on the "levelness" of the camper. You can sometimes get more water out in a pinch by adjusting the levelness of the camper (though if you are not sure where your outlet to the pump is you could make it worse.

As an example, in this photo you can see on the far top the overflow vent. It will not "take" more water since the level is at the vent hose. Trying to push more water into the tank under pressure will pressurize the tank and may even rupture it. If it does not rupture, the air pressure in the tank will just push it back out anyway.

At this angle (connected to the truck like you would be at the campground spigot), you will never be able to put in a full tank. It will indicate 2/3 when in fact it is as full as it is going to get. When you get to the spot and level the camper, you "might" get the full light to come on (even though you can see it won't be "Full."

First toilet flush and you will be at 2/3 again. Worse yet, in MY camper the way the probe was installed, 2/3 is more like 1/2 tank. The 2/3 light will go OUT when the water level drops below the probe and the 1/3 light will stay be even when there is still about 1/2 a tank. The empty light will be the only light on (1/3 probe uncovered) even when it is not empty.

HOWEVER, depending on the angle of the bottom of the tank, you may actually be sucking air at the hose connection at this point (thus empty in effect if not actually).

The freshwater gallons in the Brochure is the theoretical maximum amount of usable water. Your experience may differ.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Horst Probe Install 019.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	11691   Click image for larger version

Name:	Horst Probe Install 020.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	11692  

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax