Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-03-2017, 06:16 PM   #1

Our Next Big Trip - Zion and Bryce Canyon

This past Oct and Nov we had a 9 day trip from Colorado Springs to do the Utah 5 National Parks - Arches, Canyonlands, Capitol Reef, Bryce Canyon, and Zion. The trip got cut short when my mother-in-law fell and broke her hip in the nursing home. We had camped at Arches, visited Dead Horse Point SP, driven through Canyonlands, and camped at Capitol Reef when the call came.

We are replanning the rest of the trip for the end of April to see Bryce Canyon and Zion. The Arches campground closes on 1 April for the rest of the year for road work in the park. I welcome your ideas and suggestions.

Our camping style is minimalist - we are there to see the sights with easy hikes and spectacular views and photos. There will be 4 of us with an A122 and a tent. We cook, clean, and lounge outside. Electric and water at the site are nice, but a nice, spacious and/or shaded site is more important. We do have a senior pass, so admission to the national parks/monuments are free.

Based on our Oct/Nov trip, we want to spend 2+ nights at each site.

If no electric or water - some battery recharging happens when we are driving from one site to the next, and we have enough battery to run the heater for 4 cold nights. We have to refill the water tank about every 3-4 days, and restock some food, too. Showers would be nice at least twice during the trip.

On the return, if weather permits, we want to stop in Telluride and day trip the Million Dollar Highway from Ridgway to Durango. Probably camp at Ridgway - very nice state park there.

Again, your thoughts, experiences, and suggestions are welcome.

Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122 A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage (minivan)
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 06:32 PM   #2

Just left a message and it does not appear. Second time this has happened.

Watchman in Zion has electrical hookup in most if not all trailer sites.

Can't help for Bryce.

The FS Amphitheater campground just south of Ouray is a nice secluded campground and Ouray is a fun city to wonder through. Some spaces can be tight, but I have camped there in my 228BH which is probably about the same size as your trailer.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 07:47 PM   #3

Just stayed at Ruby's inn at Bryce in October and was real nice with full hook ups. Drove past the camping inside the park and looked a little crowded for my tastes. Being the lows are usually in the 20's, you ok without power?

2014 Evo 2850 "Woodstock"
2011 Toyota Tundra "Clifford"

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 09:28 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by HONDAMAN174 View Post
Just stayed at Ruby's inn at Bryce in October and was real nice with full hook ups. Drove past the camping inside the park and looked a little crowded for my tastes. Being the lows are usually in the 20's, you ok without power?

2014 Evo 2850 "Woodstock"
2011 Toyota Tundra "Clifford"
We are OK without power even at low night temps (high 20s) for about 4 nights. We installed dual 232AH 6V golf cart batteries specifically to run the heater at 50% duty cycle for the 4 nights in Colorado Rockies. Fridge uses no DC, interior lights - all 2 of them - are LED. Only other load is the propane/CO detector. A-frames have 1/4 the volume to heat compared to normal pop-ups, and the roof/end panels have an R-value of about 4 (much better than canvas). Net result is 5 hours/night duty cycle on heater (4A fan) easily maintains 50 degrees inside with high 20s outside. Proved it at Capitol Reef NP in November.

Thanks for the tip on the crowded sites at Bryce. Another camper highly recommended USFS Red Canyon CG instead of camping in Bryce itself.

Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122 A-Frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states
last trip: Arches and Capitol Reef NP
next trip: Bryce Canyon and Zion NP
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	resize Arches nightfall.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	127516  
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 04:46 AM   #5

While in Bryce, take highway 12 east to the Kiva Koffeehouse. I want to say it's a 45 min drive, but we'll worth it I promise. Great food, and great views. Literally in the middle of nowhere.

I would also take the bus tour in Bryce. Very informative, and a lot of fun. Don't hesitate to eat the pine needles when they show you which are edible, they have a distinct grapefruit/hop flavor that I kept going back for more. Helps that I'm a home brewer but....

Also, we went during peak and there were plenty of sites open in the park. We chose to stay at rubys park as we had dogs and they aren't welcomed in the park.

2016 212HW led valiantly into the beyond by a 2010 Track Edition Ford Ranger 4x4.

Nights camped 2016: 14
Nights camped 2017: 11 (so far)
Luv70sFords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 05:36 AM   #6

For a centralized location of "Brice,Zion,Cedar Breaks, we stayed at "Camp Luther wood " located in Long Valley Junction, Utah ! Great location and Super Nice Staff! Youroo! !
Old 01-04-2017, 01:43 PM   #7

Location: Full timer,,,at Lake Georgetown in central Texas for the winter.
Pgandw.....when you get to Telluride,,,,there are some great things to do there. We love Telluride the most of all the fabulous cities in Colorado. There's a bakery called "Baked in Telluride" that has the best raspberry jelly donuts I've ever tasted. I talked to the owner and he said that they use preserves in their donuts. Out of this world! Also, they have a dosant which is the best cross between a croissant and donut I've ever tasted. Then, on the main drag, there's The Brown Dog restaurant,,,,,they won international championships for there Brooklyn Detroit pizza that even has arugula on it. The free gondola ride up to Mountain City is a pleasant experience.....you can smell the money when you get up there.....People who own homes up there? Tome Cruise, Gwyneth Paltrow, Oprah.....Further down the road about 19 miles on the way to Rico, Delores, and Cortez is a small USFS campground called Cayton Campground. It's 7 miles before you get to the charming little town of Rico. Cody and Anna own a mercantile in the middle of town......nice people. We workamped that campground in the summer of 2014 and fell in love with the San Juan Skyway. You'll love the area.
Grampa Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 02:27 PM   #8
woodguy

Bryce Zion NP

Bryce Stayed at Red Canyon Campground, Dixie National Forest CG First Come, First Served. $9 Checked in mid afternoon, Dry Camping, Dump station, Showers Wonderful sites, Its scenery is like ( Better than) being in Bryce. Would camp there again in a heartbeat. Zion is another story, very crowded, have to get in line at 7AM to get in park CG We stayed outside park at Zion River Resort CG. opposite experience of Red Canyon. Nice CG however. Its a true Resort. ($50) West end of park.
Old 01-04-2017, 04:05 PM   #9

If you go near it I would say stop in Goblin Valley state park.
Besides seeing the Goblin they have a hidden canyon that worth the hike, ask the ranger about it , it a little north and west of the park.

Bryce Canyon was great, a must see.

https://stateparks.utah.gov/parks/goblin-valley/
1A Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 09:56 AM   #10

Utah Parks

We stayed at Bryce-Zion Campground located about halfway between the two national parks for three nights during the last week of September and loved it. A scenic setting,large sites, and hiking trails on the property made this a great choice for our stay. Good luck!
FYI: It's located in a Valley where there is no cell service
prmarkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 07:38 PM   #11

I would agree that Red Canyon campground is a good choice in the Bryce area. An extra bonus is that it is much lower in elevation than Bryce Canyon and so is warmer at night. It has great scenery, hiking trails, and showers. It's less than 15 miles to the Bryce Canyon entrance. Check with the district (435-676-2676) to see if it's open. Often doesn't open until later in May
mwaite49 is offline   Reply With Quote