Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2012, 06:54 PM   #1

Out side showers

I would like to know what others are doing for a shower surround on there A frame campers. Pictures would be helpful.
Thanks
Laura June is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 07:08 PM   #2

Should be an interesting thread. I've wondered the same thing.

I'm also curious how you catch the gray water since most CGs forbid allowing gray to drain to the ground.
Reese 66065 WDH, Curt WDH Shank #17120
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Mopar 7-pin Harness
B&M Transmission Cooler (#70268)
Jeep4Two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:15 AM   #3
Mostly Harmless

This hunting blind that we got for half price at a sporting goods store was bought to be a dual use shower house/potty palace (one or the other, not both at the same time). When it's a shower house it would be set up next to the sink side. We haven't solved what to do with the shower water yet, actually we haven't tried using it for that 'cause we bought the thing just last fall. If it doesn't work we're out $30.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2651913926.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	12814  
2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:23 AM   #4

The response I got from the state park headquarters stated that gray water was not considered to be gray water unless it went into the tank. Outdoor showers that ran directly on the ground were considered acceptable
Pinesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:26 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinesman
The response I got from the state park headquarters stated that gray water was not considered to be gray water unless it went into the tank. Outdoor showers that ran directly on the ground were considered acceptable
I will tell you this, National Park Service does not feel the same. Outdoor showers are frowned upon.

When we had our Pop Up we had a Solar Shower and got our hands slapped for using it one day.
depo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:40 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura June View Post
I would like to know what others are doing for a shower surround on there A frame campers. Pictures would be helpful.
Thanks
We do not have an A frame, but when I tent camped and when I pack hunt Elk each year I take this shelter. The window opens and you can run a hose in. Cabelas also has a few different versions of shelters that may work, I got mine a number of years back and it was the only choice they had at the time, it has a floor and has held up very well. BTW, I have never had a problem with a CG or state park letting the water run out on the ground with this.
Update, I use this in the Grand Teton Nation Park every year and Wayne National Forest (Turkey hunting) and have never had the Rangers disapprove, may be an individual Ranger thing but the National Park Systems allows them I have asked.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shower.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	12823  
2023 Road Glide ST
camper_Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:51 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by camper_Lucy

We do not have an A frame, but when I tent camped and when I pack hunt Elk each year I take this shelter. The window opens and you can run a hose in. Cabelas also has a few different versions of shelters that may work, I got mine a number of years back and it was the only choice they had at the time, it has a floor and has held up very well. BTW, I have never had a problem with a CG or state park letting the water run out on the ground with this.
Update, I use this in the Grand Teton Nation Park every year and Wayne National Forest (Turkey hunting) and have never had the Rangers disapprove, may be an individual Ranger thing but the National Park Systems allows them I have asked.
That is strange it was the Grand Tetons that we were confronted by a park ranger. The concern is two fold: 1) the use of certain soaps that make their way in to the ground and effects the water system and 2) That showering outdoors near your campsite will wash Grease and Food smells in to the ground and attract animals most concerning bears.

They actually made a couple in a site across from ours take their shower shelter down.

It maybe each Ranger enforces the waste water rule differently. We used it anyway, because we had two boys who needed showers on a regular basis and Jackson Lake was too cold to swim in.
depo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:00 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by depo View Post
That is strange it was the Grand Tetons that we were confronted by a park ranger. The concern is two fold: 1) the use of certain soaps that make their way in to the ground and effects the water system and 2) That showering outdoors near your campsite will wash Grease and Food smells in to the ground and attract animals most concerning bears.

They actually made a couple in a site across from ours take their shower shelter down.

It maybe each Ranger enforces the waste water rule differently. We used it anyway, because we had two boys who needed showers on a regular basis and Jackson Lake was too cold to swim in.
That's the most absurb thing I've ever heard. Most soap is biodegradable and where is the "grease and food smells"? On your bodies? Isn't that what the soap is for?? Must have been a rookie ranger.
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 12:29 PM   #9
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by depo View Post

That's insane. I'd like to know if there is even a statute on the books for such violation, doubt it.
18CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:54 PM   #10

Hey LJ. Sitting her by the campfire night 8 with the new A-frame. I do not know how to post pics yet but Mike G put me on to a great outdoor shower. It is the Ozark Trail utility room/shower from Wally World. It is around $40 and is solid. Just tonight, after dark, the DW took a shower by LED lantern light which hung from the plastic hook hanging from the roof. I'm sold...perfectly placed velcro opening for the shower head, floor w/ mesh border to let water out, and plenty of straps, pockets, etc. for towels, clothes, "Products", you name it. Check. It out...best $40 I've ever spent.

Disclaimer: I am camping on property that I own so no issues with Grey water.

Disclaimer 2: If this message is confusing...I blame it on the Cupcake Red Velvet

LM
loganmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 08:11 AM   #11

Logan, thanks for the information, I looked it up in Walmarts sight. This looks good for the
price. I will check it out next time I go to Walmart
Laura June is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 02:55 PM   #12

Do what we do; camp in nudist campgrounds. Indoor shower, outdoor shower; what's the difference?...
fisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 03:53 PM   #13
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisk View Post
Do what we do; camp in nudist campgrounds. Indoor shower, outdoor shower; what's the difference?...
Brilliant! What a great help.
18CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote